• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

637 minutes out of his entire international career (108 matches) is a small sample size

let your hate go, man. it is just silly at this point.

I don't hate the man. I don't think i've watched him play soccer in years. I didn't even realize he was with West Ham tbh. Sad!

I'm also not afraid of him scoring vs. the United States.

When we miss the 2022 WC it will not be because of anything that Chicharito does.

I feel like MLS in Charlotte playing at BOA could be a major failure. I hope I am wrong, but that is a big stadium to fill with a CLT community that is kinda iffy on sports support.

Well, there's a number of MLS teams in similar situations. Atlanta and Seattle both have similar size football stadiums and use them for their MLS teams with pretty solid success.

Not that either of those are an indicator that Charlotte will succeed, but I'm not sure it's a barrier?

it is a little different in that Tepper will own both teams, and presumably soccer-friendly modifications will be taken into account in the remodel, but several disadvantages to playing in a football stadium

NFL is king and MLS team will the one to make concessions, as needed, especially in the fall when seasons are overlapping

I feel like MLS in Charlotte playing at BOA could be a major failure. I hope I am wrong, but that is a big stadium to fill with a CLT community that is kinda iffy on sports support.
With the level of youth soccer support here I don't see it failing.

it is a little different in that Tepper will own both teams, and presumably soccer-friendly modifications will be taken into account in the remodel, but several disadvantages to playing in a football stadium

NFL is king and MLS team will the one to make concessions, as needed, especially in the fall when seasons are overlapping

That's only 8 times a year. Maximum 10 if you want to count preseason. And it's actually less than that since the MLS season ends in early December. Seems extremely easy to schedule around, IMO.

I'm not even advocating for it, I was just asking if it was being discussed

soccer-specific stadiums are all the rage and lots of teams are moving from football stadiums to their own

and it's not just about scheduling games on different days, but field wear-and-tear, practice, branding, etc.

The NASCAR led MLS bid group (and Independence currently) wanted to have Memorial Stadium built into a soccer specific stadium that could be expanded to meet MLS requirements, iirc. However, that location to me seems like a disaster with lack of parking, no bars nearby, not a good exit strategy, etc.

I'm not even advocating for it, I was just asking if it was being discussed

soccer-specific stadiums are all the rage and lots of teams are moving from football stadiums to their own

and it's not just about scheduling games on different days, but field wear-and-tear, practice, branding, etc.

BoA will have turf laid down, it won’t be natural grass. The Panthers will be in SC by then, so practice not an issue.

Is Memorial Stadium renovation ever going to happen?

Prob not

The NASCAR led MLS bid group (and Independence currently) wanted to have Memorial Stadium built into a soccer specific stadium that could be expanded to meet MLS requirements, iirc. However, that location to me seems like a disaster with lack of parking, no bars nearby, not a good exit strategy, etc.

County approved their half of the funding. City refused to even discuss it, shot it down hours after country approved.

Easy uber from Plaza and uptown. parking would have to be added any location except for the existing panthers location. which doesn't actually have onsite parking either unlike a Carter-Finley or the Wake stadium

Back