• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Am I crazy, or did they leave Jay DeMerit off this quiz?

ETA: I'm not crazy. They gave Beckerman his 2010 slot.

Last edited:
Bunch of Yanks go back to work this weekend in the Bundesliga.

McKennie and Schalke face Dortmund and Reyna in the River Derby on Saturday in what will be an interesting game.

I think other than Steffen, who is hurt AGAIN, everyone else is available for action...Sargent, Adams, Brooks, Morales...even Chandler and Johnson, if either of those two have a prayer of seeing field for USMNT again at ages 30 and 32, respectively.

Bunch of Yanks go back to work this weekend in the Bundesliga.

McKennie and Schalke face Dortmund and Reyna in the River Derby on Saturday in what will be an interesting game.

I think other than Steffen, who is hurt AGAIN, everyone else is available for action...Sargent, Adams, Brooks, Morales...even Chandler and Johnson, if either of those two have a prayer of seeing field for USMNT again at ages 30 and 32, respectively.

Chandler was lights out before the break, so maybe? I think FJ is probably done.

There have been questions in the past surrounding both of them regarding USMNT and effort/commitment.

Rumor out of Panama is no hex for this cycle. There will be 3 groups of 4 teams, with the top team from each group qualifying for the WC. The best second place team out of the three groups will then play the winner of teams 13-40 (who didn't get placed in the original groups and will play a separate tournament) for the final qualifying spot.

Yikes. We never do well in these mini CONCACAF groups, I'd rather have the hex.

If they go off of FIFA rankings as of today, our group would be:

USA
Honduras
Curacao
Trinidad and Tobago

Rumor out of Panama is no hex for this cycle. There will be 3 groups of 4 teams, with the top team from each group qualifying for the WC. The best second place team out of the three groups will then play the winner of teams 13-40 (who didn't get placed in the original groups and will play a separate tournament) for the final qualifying spot.

Yikes. We never do well in these mini CONCACAF groups, I'd rather have the hex.

If they go off of FIFA rankings as of today, our group would be:

USA
Honduras
Curacao
Trinidad and Tobago

Honestly bro if we can't win that group then we don't deserve to go to the WC. I understand that smaller tournaments generally lead to more upsets but we SHOULD bang those teams.

Honestly bro if we can't win that group then we don't deserve to go to the WC. I understand that smaller tournaments generally lead to more upsets but we SHOULD bang those teams.

Oh absolutely. I was just saying, historically for us, the hardest part of qualifying was the round before the Hex, not the actual Hex. I think two cycles ago we actually had to win on the final match day to make the hex, and we were down 1-0 to El Sal in Kansas City? I remember Deuce and MB4 scoring to eventually put us through, can't remember if it was El Sal or Honduras.

Obviously the previous Hex proves this wrong, but we struggle in the small groups. I think we lost our Gold Cup group back in 2011, IIRC, after losing to Panama in Tampa during group stages.

More on the death of the Hex. Chances of qualifying aside, I hate this change. There's not much I looked forward to more than WCQs vs. Mexico, even with the current gap in talent.

Pulisic has been playing so well since EPL restarted. Third in 5 games, constant threat, been man of the match multiple times since restart. Playing with so much confidence.

Last edited:
whaaaaa? Brasky had a kid??

Awesome! Congratulations, my dude! So very happy for you and your wife!

As much as it pains me to say it, Gyasi Zardes is the best US forward at the moment. Part of that is crediting him for playing really well recently, but more a warning about how poor our forwards are. Akinola has looked great though for Toronto. Jozy might struggle to get back in the lineup initially. Who else is there, Sargent? Jordan Morris? Ugh.

Back