• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Letter to Dr. Hatch

I don't know if the players are leaving because the team is so mired in suckiness or because they can't stand Bzzz -- if you can separate the two. Maybe if it's the latter and they share their thoughts with RW, he'll begin to see the light. Maybe.

The first sentence is fine. looking back I'd change flip positions of the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.

Okay. If you say so.

Here's a more appropriate letter:

Dear Mr. Wellman,

I am a Wake Forest graduate currently residing just outside New York City and I have been a fanatic follower of our Div 1 athletic programs since I was a student 25 years ago. It has helped me stay connected to my alma mater over the years. It is often the only way I stay in contact with my old school friends.

It is with great alarm that I write you. The recent transfers to our basketball program indicate that there is trouble within. I believe Coach [Redacted] to be a decent man and good basketball coach. Unfortunately, part of the responsibility of a head basketball coach is to generate enthusiasm, excitement, and hope in a program. "Wait until next year," is something that every program save one mumbles each year after a national champion, super bowl victor, NBA Finals champion is crowned. And it's true, well almost true. In college athletics unfortunately, there are always a few dozen schools in so much turmoil that they must stop the bleeding before they can even start to hope that the next year will bring change, improvement, success. Unfortunately, right now the Wake Forest basketball program is one of those schools.

I understand why you would hesitate to change head coaches now. [Redacted] IS a good basketball coach, but due to a whole list of variables, [Redacted] simply does not have the support of the fan base. The unfairness of this is that he never really did. I have been a Coach [Redacted] supporter from day one, mostly due to my great respect for you, but the slew of recent transfers by guys who have been working hard to improve as players, as students, and men - guys we are all proud to say are Demon Deacons, lead most everyone to conclude that [Redacted] has also lost the support of his team. This is almost the worst thing that could happen to a basketball coach. I don't completely understand it because it appeared that the players were working hard all season, but it has happened and it is time to change course.

There are any number of good coaches out there that can recapture what every program needs: The comfort in looking forward to next year. The past two years have been tough ones. Not many were looking forward to this past season, but with the incoming recruits and the returning players, next year was the first year in a while that Wake Forest supporters were trying to muster the courage to be hopeful. Unfortunately, the mass transfers we are reading about has taken that away again for yet another year.

I hope you find the financial capacity to do what I think you know needs to be done.

With regret,
Blow Job McJob

P.S. I am buttass loaded with cash. How much do you need?

Last edited:
Okay. If you say so.

Here's a more appropriate letter:

Dear Mr. Wellman,

I am a Wake Forest graduate currently residing just outside New York City and have been a fanatic follower of our Div 1 athletic programs. It has helped me stay connect to my alma mater over the years. It is often the only way I stay in contact with Wake Forest my old school friends.

It is with great alarm that I write you. The recent transfers to our basketball program indicate that there is trouble within. I believe Coach [Redacted] to be a decent man and good basketball coach. Unfortunately, part of the responsibility of a head basketball coach is to generate enthusiasm, excitement, and hope in a program. "Wait until next year," is something that every program save one mumbles each year after a national champion, super bowl victor, NBA Finals champion is crowned. And it's true, well almost true. In college athletics unfortunately, there are always a few dozen schools in so much turmoil that they must stop the bleeding before they can even start to hope that the next year will bring change, improvement, success. Unfortunately, right now the Wake Forest basketball program is one of those schools.

I understand why you would hesitate to change head coaches now. [Redacted] IS a good basketball coach, but due to a whole list of variables, [Redacted] simply does not have the support of the fan base. The unfairness of this is that he never really did. I have been a Coach [Redacted] supporter from day one, mostly due to my great respect for you, but the slew of recent transfers by guys who have been working hard to improve as players, as students, and men - guys we are all proud to say are Demon Deacons, lead most everyone to conclude that [Redacted] has also lost the support of his team. This is almost the worst thing that could happen to a basketball coach. I don't completely understand it because it appeared that the players were working hard all season, but it has happened and it is time to change course.

There are any number of good coaches out there that can recapture what every program needs: The comfort in looking forward to next year. The past two years have been tough ones. Not many were looking forward to this past season, but with the incoming recruits and the returning players, next year was the first year in a while that Wake Forest supporters were trying to muster the courage to be hopeful. Unfortunately, the mass transfers we are reading about has taken that away again for yet another year.

I hope you find the financial capacity to do what I think you know needs to be done.

With regret,
Blow Job McJob

a disconnect between the coaching staff and the players.

tl:dnr

jaybone communicates telepathically with Wellman, so he's already made his thoughts known. :thumbsup:

That's a great letter, Jaybone. The BzzWaitedandSaw perspective is going to resonate more with Hatch and Wellman than BzOUT.

$700,000K is not going to buy you a great basketball coach.

I agree that if even Carson leaving happens, we need to try and find the money to get somebody. You have some time here, but calling it a "national disgrace" is probably not going to register. Dealing with a Today Show piece on a post Cleveland State he says blowjob she says hand off rape is a national disgrace. This is a defined as a big problem. I don't think hyperbole helps.

I also think Wellman is the guy to hit and not Hatch, but whatever.

For this to happen, Wellman is going to have to go digging. Even if successful, that is going to take a week minimum. I don't think they can fire Bzd until they start getting a ballpark number of how much money they can scrounge up and that is a big ??? this morning, I would think.

I know Wellman HATES to ask for money for this kind of stuff. Scoreboard yes, to clean up hiring mistakes no. Call it pride, call it what you will, but he hates it. Plus, then whomever becomes the buyout/new coach contract "savior(s)" will hold a different power dynamic with Wellman than they do now, which is unsettling. You get money for a scoreboard, once the scoreboard is chosen and erected, those people most financially responsible can't really hold your hand to the fire so to speak. The project financed is complete. You need boosters to buy out and pay in to a new 5-year contract and you are basically giving power to those people for five years. Depending on who that is, it may be a small thing, but it is not something Wellman wants hanging over the department for a number of reasons.

Especially if you are paying two buyouts as well.

However, we cannot afford NOT to make a change.

Sorry Jaybone, but at some point you have to let the "Bz is a good coach" thing go. Maybe there are some things that coaches do that he is decent at, but being a good head college basketball coach includes recruiting, game coaching, team management (emotional, morale), rallying student/fan base, representing the program well publicly (through pressers, etc.), running a clean program, developing young men, and winning games. There are many different coaching styles and ways to complete those goals, but to say that Buzz is strong in many of those areas is absolutely ridiculous. You can not be a good college coach without doing most of those things well. Let it go.

I agree, but Wellman doesn't have to agree with you to conclude he needs to fire him.

I agree, but Wellman doesn't have to agree with you to conclude he needs to fire him.

Someone who strokes Wellman's ego is going to get through more than someone who says Wellman made a bad decision.

I can't believe my fingers are typing this, but... jaybone is spot on in this thread. Also, good work RJ.

I can't believe my fingers are typing this, but... jaybone is spot on in this thread. Also, good work RJ.

Not surprising. For this, you need the most recent people out the door to hold it open for Wellman and Hatch. On these boards, they're idiots who took too long to realize the obvious. To Wellman and Hatch, they could be the voices of reason who convince them that it's time.

Letters/emails are a waste of time in my opinion. Only things that matter are 1)wins 2) attendance and 3) donations.
I have no control over 1), but in my own modest way some control over 2) and 3). There's not a thing you can say to Wellman in a letter that I'm guessing you've already expressed on this board (minus the f-bombs), which I'm sure he reads from time to time. Now if your letter says you are cancelling your 8 season tickets and pulling your scholarship donation, fire away.

Blowjob McJob seems like a super cool guy - nice letter, except the part where you said [Redacted] IS a good basketball coach.

He most certainly is not.

Due to financial considerations, Wellman doesn't have the power to make this move unilaterally. Futhermore if the university's president announces the dismissal, it gives the AD cover of not being the guy who fired two coaches in three years. It also shows coaches and agents that the money will be there.

I have no problem with asskissing when appropriate but this is not the time for it.

That's a great letter, Jaybone. The BzzWaitedandSaw perspective is going to resonate more with Hatch and Wellman than BzOUT.

I can't wait for his recruitment letter to Shaka that touts Winston-Salem soul food.

haha to you both (Kent and PH) - and I mean that lightly not sarcastically.

I do think there is some tail that wags the dog to all this, but at this stage it is immaterial because Bzd just doesn't have the personality or talent to overcome the strikes against him. If say, Bzd was hired to replace Bill Self at Illinois instead of Weber, Bzd probably has a similar trajectory as Weber did there which just says really the same thing: Bzd is not a guy that can lead a top 25 university program much less carry one from 200 up through the ranks and back into the top 25 despite the advantages Wake and the ACC and tobacco road brings.

Someone had to have proofread that for him. Not nearly enough spelling/grammatical errors to be an RJ original.

In all seriousness, though, I agree with everything in it. In fact, it would have probably been even more strongly worded if I had authored it.

The 2nd sentence begins with "If he stays more players may leave..." Who is he?! RJ never established that. How can Ron fire him, if RJ doesn't say who he is!?

Due to financial considerations, Wellman doesn't have the power to make this move unilaterally. Futhermore if the university's president announces the dismissal, it gives the AD cover of not being the guy who fired two coaches in three years. It also shows coaches and agents that the money will be there.

I have no problem with asskissing when appropriate but this is not the time for it.

Just awful logic. the moment a university president fires a coach rather than the AD is the moment the AD turns into the farm in the last episode of The Walking Dead. And what it shows coaches is that the Wake Forest athletic department is in total chaos and steer the fuck clear.

I know you want to think your reactionary reaction is leading the charge, but it isn't. It's simply reactionary. Until I see a press release that says Carson is leaving, I'm not sending my letter. We're like the electronic Transylvanians with torches running through the streets right now.

Maybe that's the right way to approach it, but the alternative is that he will still believe Buzz is the right guy and fans are just not seeing all the good things coming, blah blah blah. Guess the bottom line is Wellman will do what he wants, I tend to agree that he probably won't get much pressure from Hatch/trustees, and that is that.

Back