• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Letter to Dr. Hatch

Well, I got a response from Hatch but it appears to be canned. Although my email focused on the current transfers, the response focused on the season and the class we have coming in. That said, the tone is a lot better than a lot of the comments we've heard from Wellman. It's basically, "none of us are happy but we are confident that we are headed in the right direction."

You know, what Wellman should have been saying all of this time.

Just awful logic. the moment a university president fires a coach rather than the AD is the moment the AD turns into the farm in the last episode of The Walking Dead. And what it shows coaches is that the Wake Forest athletic department is in total chaos and steer the fuck clear.

I know you want to think your reactionary reaction is leading the charge, but it isn't. It's simply reactionary. Until I see a press release that says Carson is leaving, I'm not sending my letter. We're like the electronic Transylvanians with torches running through the streets right now.

I agree that there's nothing official made public yet, but I think that the program just looks like a circus (perception matters greatly), and that really should be enough. Whether or not it is official, it's further embarrassment and gives the perception that we are moving in the wrong direction.

I think his hand is going to be forced. Three transfers and talking down an All-ACC player off the ledge? A guy who is just a sophomore? That is all he should need to know. Losing JTT and Ari is one thing and pretty easy for Wellman to chalk up to culture change or whatever you want to call it. Losing Fields, Carson, and almost possibly Travis? All three good guys, good students. I am putting TC in a different camp on the assumption that reports about his mother justify his transfer. but any one of Fields, Carson and Travis is a huge red flag that any AD would question. And Wellman historically has been not just a good AD but a very good to great AD.

Well, I got a response from Hatch but it appears to be canned. Although my email focused on the current transfers, the response focused on the season and the class we have coming in. That said, the tone is a lot better than a lot of the comments we've heard from Wellman. It's basically, "none of us are happy but we are confident that we are headed in the right direction."

Yeah, it would have been good last season, but now it's not enough.

I agree Wellman has done some great things. He has been here long enough to have also made a few mistakes...nobody's perfect. But fixing this shitbag will define his legacy for me. The quicker the better. Honestly, it will be VERY tough for him to overcome this debacle in my opinion, and it would require some honesty and humility on Wellman's part...don't see that coming. So I guess I would settle for a GREAT replacement for Buzz, and just move on.

Jeff has everything it takes to be a success, except the respect and support of his fanbase. Unfortunately, that may prove to be his undoing. I'm not sure anyone could tolerate you guys.

Jeff has everything it takes to be a success, except the respect and support of his fanbase. Unfortunately, that may prove to be his undoing. I'm not sure anyone could tolerate you guys.

"You must spread some reputation around"

Now that you are outed as a parody (No fucking way you talked to Ron on the phone last night from courtside) you're not even that funny.

We got the same email. My letter also focused on the transfers.

The response I received is unfortunate. I'm not sure that our president considers unheard-of transfer rates and losing at historically bad rates as big an issue as we do.

can someone post the president's and or AD's response letters?

The response I received is unfortunate. I'm not sure that our president considers unheard-of transfer rates and losing at historically bad rates as big an issue as we do.

I hope that Hatch's responses are simply code for "I hear you. Unfortunately, Wellman's on the road now for the committee, so I won't get the chance to chew him out in person until Monday morning."

Dear Dr. Hatch,

I’m writing you to express my concern regarding the men’s basketball team. When I was a student at Wake, basketball games weren’t only a sporting event but a time to get away from difficult academics and socialize. The basketball team provided Wake Forest a national stage to tell the country about our unique institution. I can’t tell you how many broadcasts I watched games where Wake’s academics were lauded or the announcers jested about the students being out of class “for once.” Chris Paul wasn’t just the All-World point guard he was the kid I saw running to class who always had time to say hello. Skip Prosser wasn’t just the coach; he was a teacher and part-time philosopher. I feel sorry for the current students as they’re missing what was an integral part of the Wake Forest experience.

I feel sorry for the players. Student-athletes spend much of their week in the classroom or in practice. Game time should be their moment to shine, for all the hard work to pay off. Unfortunately, under Jeff [Redacted], the players have experienced very little of the elation as evidenced by his woeful record. Jeff [Redacted] has acted inappropriately at times as a head coach. No coach should ever engage a fan, let alone curse at him. That’s irreprehensible. On his radio show, [Redacted] is defensive and spends more time blaming the players than looking at his own role in the program. These are 18-19 year old kids; trying to have fun, get better while balancing a strenuous course load. [Redacted] is a 59-year-old man. To throw students under the bus for his shortcomings is inexcusable and he should be held to account by Ron Wellman. But it seems that Jeff [Redacted] is beyond reproach.

Furthermore, in keeping Jeff [Redacted], the school is acting in a financially unsound way. The Joel holds about 14,500, in 2010-2011 the announced attendance was 9200 and I’m sure the gate was much lower. I don’t have the figures for the current year but they must be grim. With a 16 home game schedule, the lost revenue, as our fan base dwindles due to apathy and frustration, mounts. We’re looking at million dollar losses here Dr. Hatch. For an athletic department that breaks even, our flagship sport can’t be in the red for an extended time. We can’t afford another year of Jeff [Redacted] at the helm.

Maybe Hatch can pull a Jim Grobe and appoint someone else a co-Athletics Director in charge of just basketball. Like, Randolph Childress can be in charge of basketball and Wellman can keep doing the rest.

So the only things that are holding Bzzzz back from a winning season are respect and support? In other words, if we kissed his ass and sold out LJVM for every game, then we'd be dancing in March?

Quite a far fetched formula to achieving success that you came up with there Einstein.

I sent my letter to Wellman last year voicing my concerns. My letter to Hatch will be short and sweet but he needs to hear from me and everyone who is upset with our current situation.
This entire episode had made me lose respect for Wellman.

I sent my letter to Wellman last year voicing my concerns. My letter to Hatch will be short and sweet but he needs to hear from me and everyone who is upset with our current situation.
This entire episode had made me lose respect for Wellman.

Hatch will hear about it for about 10 seconds from his secretary...

"Oh one last thing Nathanial - the entire fan base hates you. 400 emails today"

Back