• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Response from Hatch and response to it

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:54 AM
To: rick@mylifecard.com
Subject: Re: A disgrace
This is a 100% canned pre-prepared repsonse:

Dear Mr. Karlsruher,

Thank you for your message. None of us are happy with where our basketball program is right now. This was a painful season for everyone. That said, I do have confidence in the direction we are going, realizing that this is not an overnight, or one season, turn-around process. I am heartened by the knowledge that we have been successful in recruiting six new players, all of them with great promise as student-athletes who can make all of us proud again. I look forward to the day, sooner rather than later, when we can return to a program that is competitive and done the right way, which has always been the Wake Forest athletics hallmark. My thanks again for your on-going support. Your concerns are well-noted.

Sincerely,

Nathan Hatch

Dear Dr. Hatch,

Thank you for your quick response.

My position on Coach [Redacted] is publicly known in the Wake Forest community. Until this week it directly mirrored the sentiment your note describes. I expected us to have a painful season this year and a promising one in 2012-13. Having been around basketball for over four decades, I understand the rebuilding process. However the events of this week shows we aren’t going in the right direction.

Tony Chennault and Carson Desroisers are exactly the kind of student-athletes that should have led our program back to prominence. They are fine young men who worked hard in the classroom and on the court. Their departures illustrate we are dramatically on the wrong track.

It will be discernibly more difficult to recruit over the next two to five years.

Within the greater basketball community, inaction will be seen as capitulation. (there is a part in here that cannot be published in the public-I'm not losing contacts over this)

Our stature will get much worse with the media. We will become irrelevant. There is little worse than that.

Economically this will be a disaster that will burden the university for years to come.

I’m sorry to have to be saying this. As recently as last week, I thought we were making progress. That doesn’t exist any longer.

With sadness,

Last edited:
Oh man, RJKarl and I have the same name - the R in RJKarl is Rick... mind blown.

First response was as canned as they come, as you mentioned at the top. His secretary is probably sending that one out in mass today.

Hatch will send the exact same response as his first to rj's latest email. Prediction.

I don't particularly agree with you on a lot of things RJ, but that response back to the canned BS was perfect. Well done.

Yeah, it's obviously his secretary. I hope people don't think the president of the university has time to fire off e-mails to angry fans on a Friday afternoon.

Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:54 AM
To: rick@mylifecard.com
Subject: Re: A disgrace
This is a 100% canned pre-prepared repsonse:

Dear Mr. Karlsruher,

Thank you for your message. None of us are happy with where our basketball program is right now. This was a painful season for everyone. That said, I do have confidence in the direction we are going, realizing that this is not an overnight, or one season, turn-around process. I am heartened by the knowledge that we have been successful in recruiting six new players, all of them with great promise as student-athletes who can make all of us proud again. I look forward to the day, sooner rather than later, when we can return to a program that is competitive and done the right way, which has always been the Wake Forest athletics hallmark. My thanks again for your on-going support. Your concerns are well-noted.

Sincerely,

Nathan Hatch

Dear Dr. Hatch,

Thank you for your quick response.

My position on Coach [Redacted] is publicly known in the Wake Forest community. Until this week it directly mirrored the sentiment your note describes. I expected us to have a painful season this year and a promising one in 2012-13. Having been around basketball for over four decades, I understand the rebuilding process. However the events of this week shows we aren’t going in the right direction.

Tony Chennault and Carson Desroisers are exactly the kind of student-athletes that should have led our program back to prominence. They are fine young men who worked hard in the classroom and on the court. Their departures illustrate we are dramatically on the wrong track.

It will be discernibly more difficult to recruit over the next two to five years.

Within the greater basketball community, inaction will be seen as capitulation. (there is a part in here that cannot be published in the public-I'm not losing contacts over this)

Our stature will get much worse with the media. We will become irrelevant. There is little worse than that.

Economically this will be a disaster that will burden the university for years to come.

I’m sorry to have to be saying this. As recently as last week, I thought we were making progress. That doesn’t exist any longer.

With sadness,

Rick Karlsruher

RJ, Thank you for following up on his reply so quick. Hopefully your response will drive the point home.

Definitely canned. Losing these transfers looks bad and hurts our team (takes away leadership/experience, and quality subs and scrimmage opponents), but Tony and Carson were not leading us to prominence. Next year's class seems better, but it may be over-hyped as well. Take a look at State's squad and incoming class.

Yeah, it's obviously his secretary. I hope people don't think the president of the university has time to fire off e-mails to angry fans on a Friday afternoon.

Of course not. I expect him to respond himself, in due time.

If he sends me a canned response I'm gonna take a shit in a bag and send it to him. There's your response nathan

No, I think he should be holding a very important meeting with RW and our new Basketball coach. Then he can play all the golf he wants this weekend.

If he sends me a canned response I'm gonna take a shit in a bag and send it to him. There's your response nathan

I'd pay good money to see a video of this arriving in his mail.

That was my point. Except that Hatch wouldn't fire off an email on his own to anyone below his paygrade, regardless of the day of the week.

I'll read in between the lines for you:

Thank you for your message.
Fuck you people for clogging my goddamn indbox
None of us are happy with where our basketball program is right now.
I'm not blind, assholes.
This was a painful season for everyone. That said, I do have confidence in the direction we are going, realizing that this is not an overnight, or one season, turn-around process. I am heartened by the knowledge that we have been successful in recruiting six new players, all of them with great promise as student-athletes who can make all of us proud again. I look forward to the day, sooner rather than later, when we can return to a program that is competitive and done the right way, which has always been the Wake Forest athletics hallmark.
Yea we suck. Tough shit.
My thanks again for your on-going support. Your concerns are well-noted
Leave me the fuck alone now
Sincerely,
Suck it,
Nathan Hatch
Nate Dogg

Realistically, though, you'd get the same response if RW was at this moment sitting in Shockoe Slip having a drink with Shaka after he signed on the dotted line. Even if anything were happening (which I don't believe it is), the University will not tip its hand in responses to random alumni.

Back