• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30 years ago, this was a sad day for WF basketball

On the bright side, that led to the hiring of our first drunk (at least as far as I know) which further established our egalitarianism.

Yes, July seems to be the month of off-season suck for Wake hoops. The 26th is less than two weeks away. Somehow that one gets worse with time rather than better.

If Ron had managed to hold off hiring redacto-boy until July then we could pack 90% of the suckitude into one month, leaving pretty much only on-court disasters for the other months (Cleveland State, Butler, nut punch, WV, Illinois, etc., etc.).

I was at wfu basketball camp when tacy resigned. Everybody was in shock but he kept showing up each day for the rest of the camp. The Main thing I remember is that everyone wanted to go to canteen and buy pizza because his daughter was working there.

I was at wfu basketball camp when tacy resigned. Everybody was in shock but he kept showing up each day for the rest of the camp. The Main thing I remember is that everyone wanted to go to canteen and buy pizza because his daughter was working there.

Was she hot?

In my 12 year old mind, she was smokin hot.

Yep, I was a student at Mother So Dear during Gentleman Carl's tenure and the Final 8 run was great fun! Good times!! :)

I had just graduated from high school in June and was looking forward to my freshman year at Wake Forest and some good ACC basketball when I heard the news...little did I know that Bob Staak would soon crush all my dreams.

Carl Tacy was a very good and underrated coach. Didn't he have the best record in conference against Deano for a long time under K got further into his tenure at Duke?

I had just graduated from high school in June and was looking forward to my freshman year at Wake Forest and some good ACC basketball when I heard the news...little did I know that Bob Staak would soon crush all my dreams.

Sorry man....He who shall not be named did much the same for the 2010-2014 WF student body. :(

The difference being that Staak could actually coach, along with drink and bang cheerleaders. Kinda scary to think of Buzz drinking and banging cheerleaders.

The difference being that Staak could actually coach, along with drink and bang cheerleaders. Kinda scary to think of Buzz drinking and banging cheerleaders.

Unless he's drinking wine coolers and banging Duke cheerleaders.

The WF body of work by both Tacy and Odom both shine brighter as years go by. I appreciate what they accomplished in America's best basketball conference in their respective tenures. Ironically, Odom was a Tacy assistant.

Unless he's drinking wine coolers and banging Duke cheerleaders.

Buzz banging Duke cheerleaders is what a pig contest for nerds would look like.

This thread has degenerated, and I am partly to blame. Gentleman Carl deserves better than this.

Last edited:
Carl did remarkably well against Carolina considering his overall ACC record was like 70-100.

He has some great runs, but he also had many teams that looked like world beaters in December to completely fall part in February and March.

But the 77 and 84 runs were great. 77 was a final 8 team that finished the season 2-5. I would hazard to guess that no other team has ever done that.

Carl did remarkably well against Carolina considering his overall ACC record was like 70-100.

He has some great runs, but he also had many teams that looked like world beaters in December to completely fall part in February and March.

But the 77 and 84 runs were great. 77 was a final 8 team that finished the season 2-5. I would hazard to guess that no other team has ever done that.

Unfortunately this seems to be recurring theme for us, despite the coach.

Back