• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30 years ago, this was a sad day for WF basketball

Carl did remarkably well against Carolina considering his overall ACC record was like 70-100.

He has some great runs, but he also had many teams that looked like world beaters in December to completely fall part in February and March.

But the 77 and 84 runs were great. 77 was a final 8 team that finished the season 2-5. I would hazard to guess that no other team has ever done that.

Carl was a great game coach. The dude knew basketball and he could X & 0 with anyone.

Tacy left the cupboard bare for his successor . He had communication problems with his players towards the end ( John Toms player revolt over the Steve Warden sub to shoot a free throw at Clemson). I was told by Neil Mcgeachy that Tacy got lock jaw during the final timeout of the NCAA game vs Memphis St. The ball was inbounded from near half court to Danny Young , who was about 35 feet from the basket with only 2 seconds left. That being said, Gentleman Carl was a great tactician ( particularly vs UNC) and loved to recruit good shooters , play zone and fast break out of it for open jump shots. One of our best coaches but it was getting bad towards the end.

Didn't Tacy recruit Muggsy?

Muggsy was a junior when Staak took over. He had Rudd, Green , Charlie Thomas , Garber, Cline and a few others during the 84/85 year, when the team made the NIT and won at #1 ranked Duke. Rudd graduated , Green went to the NBA early , and Thomas transferred. The only recruits IIRC were Rod Watson and Arthur Larkin. Tacy had to know that he had a complete rebuild in front of him.

Muggsy was a junior when Staak took over. He had Rudd, Green , Charlie Thomas , Garber, Cline and a few others during the 84/85 year, when the team made the NIT and won at #1 ranked Duke. Rudd graduated , Green went to the NBA early , and Thomas transferred. The only recruits IIRC were Rod Watson and Arthur Larkin. Tacy had to know that he had a complete rebuild in front of him.

That was actually a well regarded freshman class, I remember seeing an article in "The Sporting News" ranking the nation's top classes and this group was mentioned. In addition to Watson and Larkin, the prize was Mike Scott who transferred to UK. The rest were sort of filler - Clay Dade and Paul Deibert, I think Deibert had slightly higher cred coming in but idk. Both transferred, as all of them did.

Back