• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If my job was my life? For 12 months?

booradley

Reaction score
I'm toying with the following Personal Challenge - throw myself into my job 100% for one year and see what dividends it reaps. Don't get me wrong, I do a good job now, but I definitely pursue "life balance." What if I didn't? If I went absolute balls-to-the-walls, I'd have a major impact on my company. Transform it. But there'd be a major hit to time spent on games, girls, sports, socializing. Basically, I'd be a tunnel-visioned beast. Does anyone else here wonder what would happen if you made your job the end-all-and-be-all of your life? Just for a while? No? Well, this IS the thread for random thoughts, right? :)

I'm toying with the following Personal Challenge - throw myself into my job 100% for one year and see what dividends it reaps. Don't get me wrong, I do a good job now, but I definitely pursue "life balance." What if I didn't? If I went absolute balls-to-the-walls, I'd have a major impact on my company. Transform it. But there'd be a major hit to time spent on games, girls, sports, socializing. Basically, I'd be a tunnel-visioned beast. Does anyone else here wonder what would happen if you made your job the end-all-and-be-all of your life? Just for a while? No? Well, this IS the thread for random thoughts, right? :)

tumblr_ma19t6CSKT1rpb80d.gif

How old are you and what do you do for a job?

36, recently divorced. I'm a business analyst and database designer for a national marketing firm. Also, these vids are cracking me up. :)

Are you actually considering doing this or is this just a hypo?

Oh, it's a serious thought. I'm coming off a divorce and there's a bit of void to fill. Bit. Of. A. Void. Well, if nothing else this thread has produced some funny-a$$ pics!

I basically did this when I launched my company. Because of the way it is, I work many weekends which leads to the potential to easily be run down. I love my job and company but I still have to have that work-life balance. I'm just now getting to where I can slightly have that.

36, recently divorced. I'm a business analyst and database designer for a national marketing firm. Also, these vids are cracking me up. :)

Don't have any insight to the career payoff for a business analyst and database designer. Some value in taking some time away from relationships following a divorce, so maybe that is reason enough to do it.

Being single certainly helps. I wouldn't encourage you to do it, though.

Oh, it's a serious thought. I'm coming off a divorce and there's a bit of void to fill. Bit. Of. A. Void. Well, if nothing else this thread has produced some funny-a$$ pics!

I take it no kids. If there are kids - get involved in their activities and schools. The students always need strong male role models.

If no kids, find a community organization to work with. Many non-profits are always looking for business minded people to volunteer.

Do just enough to not get fired and concentrate on chasing tail. I'm close to your age and got divorced a couple years ago and it's has been a hell of a run. Better than college by a long shot.

Back