• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I've done one 5k and one 10k since high school, which was 10 years ago. I am pretty sure I will never PR again in my lifetime.

I wanna PR in the 5k again before I die. Doubt I'll ever break 4:45 in the mile again, but who knows. I'm shaving a couple seconds every few months on the mile.

I ran a 4:50 mile in a 4:40 cutoff heat, finished dead last, and got a "let's bring him home, folks" over the loud speaker with about 75m to go. A top 5 most embarrassing moment of my life.

You mean with vegan runners on the front?

No. They just overhauled their design, and I'm only a couple pages in, but it's distracting. They underline random words in text, and draw arrows from that word to some infographic. #MILLENIALBULLSHIT

For those that don't go on the CT, lbE crushed a 70.3 over the weekend.

I'm going to take this moment to be a braggart for a hot second- had a goal of 6 hours yesterday, with my "challenge goal" being 5:45... Went 5:34:21 in my half-ironman on a challenging course and I'm freakin stoked.

Ok. That is all. Thanks for the indulgence. Carry on.

Also, I took an impromptu rest day as I ran 17 on Saturday at Salem Lake and 18 on Sunday around Peace Haven and Country Club. My legs are cooked. Looks like some cooler mornings into the 50's this week in NC, pretty solid running weather.

you weren't planning on a rest day after double longs? definitely seems like a good idea!

I have been SO bad about running lately. Really need to get disciplined (and to sleep before midnight) and get up in the mornings this week to get some running in. The Salem Lake 30k is going to be rough. Longest I've run since March is 13.6 miles.

A friend of mine organized a run on Friday night/Saturday morning at midnight, it was pretty fun to do something a little different and there were about 50 people who showed up. I ran about 17 and then watched football all day on Saturday. Now I'm trying to decide whether to get my 20 miles in on Saturday morning before homecoming, or try to exercise some willpower at the tailgate and run it Sunday morning.

Lot of races coming up for me pretty soon, first off is the Hinson Lake 24 hour race at the end of September, then Chicago a few weeks after that, then Savannah on November 8th.

A friend of mine organized a run on Friday night/Saturday morning at midnight, it was pretty fun to do something a little different and there were about 50 people who showed up. I ran about 17 and then watched football all day on Saturday. Now I'm trying to decide whether to get my 20 miles in on Saturday morning before homecoming, or try to exercise some willpower at the tailgate and run it Sunday morning.

Lot of races coming up for me pretty soon, first off is the Hinson Lake 24 hour race at the end of September, then Chicago a few weeks after that, then Savannah on November 8th.

Get shitfaced Saturday, and still run on Sunday. Nothing like the first 8-10 miles of a long run to cleanse the toxins.

you weren't planning on a rest day after double longs? definitely seems like a good idea!

I have been SO bad about running lately. Really need to get disciplined (and to sleep before midnight) and get up in the mornings this week to get some running in. The Salem Lake 30k is going to be rough. Longest I've run since March is 13.6 miles.

My coach had 6 easy on today's schedule. In the past, I've been ok to do some easy recovery miles the Monday after a double weekend but just not in the cards today.

I'm expecting something like 19 Saturday and 20 on Sunday (won't get my weekend schedule until Thursday), not sure what I'm going to do about tailgating yet.

Wow. What's up with these back to back long runs? What are you training for? Nice work.

With all of the talk of shorter races on the last few threads, this article actually resonates with me and is a bit in the other direction. Maybe it's because I didn't get into running as a kid and don't have PR's and specific speed goals? I really want to run longer distance trail races. Maybe it's because I'm competitive and realize that given my time constraints, life stage and lack of running experience, I'm probably not in any position to go out and become a competitive road runner? The typical marathon/half marathon/road race just doesn't get me out of the bed for training runs. The hardest part of running, for me, is waking up and running the same boring greenways, roads, etc on routes that all start/end at my front porch. I love the few times a year I can get to the mountains and just run/fast hike for most of the day. It's probably those few times of fun that actually keep me running the boring stuff the other 2XX days a year. I definitely envy my friends who are able to do that every weekend or more. Hopefully, as my kids grow, I'll be able to find more time to get to the mountains and run.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/the-fit-list/Why-American-Endurance-Athletes-Suck.html
“All they care about is numbers,” said Dr. Jan Kriska, a physician originally from Slovakia who now lives in North Carolina. “Those stupid 13.1 stickers, 26.2 stickers, 70.3. That f**ing M-dot tattoo. They’re missing the point.” People shouldn’t be doing flat loops around warehouses in Anytown, Bumblef**k just to rack up 140.6 miles in a day, he said (or something to that effect). They should be running endurance events for the experience—for the unique way they take advantage of their natural surroundings.

Get shitfaced Saturday, and still run on Sunday. Nothing like the first 8-10 miles of a long run to cleanse the toxins.

Same boat. Yesterday was too nice not to run. Went 4+; wanted to go longer but had to get ready to go to the Panther game.

Also ran to the ABC store Saturday night around 8pm to grab a couple bottles after finishing the fifth I started at 2pm (had a little help from my wife). Too hammered to drive and too impatient to walk. Thankfully it is less than a mile away from my house.

lbE08 thank you so much for the Portland run recommendation. I had a top 10 run of my life today. Portland is such a badass city. I'm staying downtown, and hopped on the Max (light rail). I went 4 stops to the zoo. I ran the Forest Park Wildwood Trail out and back for 7 miles. So beautiful, so hard because of the elevation change ( I live in Dallas).

Working in Portland the next few days. Think I may hop on the light rail later today and check out the same trail.

Gonna brag for a second. PRed a 5K today with a 28:53. It's so nice to see training pay off.

Gonna brag for a second. PRed a 5K today with a 28:53. It's so nice to see training pay off.

Nice! What was your previous PR? It seems like not long ago you were trying to crack 30 min. What race was it?

Nice! What was your previous PR? It seems like not long ago you were trying to crack 30 min. What race was it?

Previous was 29:50some. I'd forgotten to turn my watch off, so I can't look up the exact time.

It was the Revis 5K in HP. It's a fun course through the outskirts of downtown and the Emerywood neighborhoods. It's not as flat as I thought it would be.

Previous was 29:50some. I'd forgotten to turn my watch off, so I can't look up the exact time.

It was the Revis 5K in HP. It's a fun course through the outskirts of downtown and the Emerywood neighborhoods. It's not as flat as I thought it would be.

Congrats.

Back