• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

49783a0f157e5f5912d00db6a6a96a08.jpg

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Fall Temps Soon Upon Us. Runners Rejoice.

Had my post op follow up and it sucked. My knee has the cartilage damage and degeneration of someone 30 years older than I am. So I'm pretty much done running anything more than the occasional 5k for the rest of my life. They projected that running 20 miles/week on the road or other hard surface would probably lead to a knee replacement before I'm 50. So,that sucked. Looking into cycling and getting on a good swimming program - but I'm pretty disappointed. They said it might be genetic, but there's no family history. Might have been football/rugby, but they were still pretty shocked at the amount of damage on someone my age.

Last edited:
Ugh, that sucks IAT. Is a knee replacement even something worth considering as a possible fix?

On the bright(ish) side, I know more than a few cyclists who got started under similar circumstances...

Could be wrong, but I don't think you can do serious running on a knee replacement.

IAT, did they talk about micro fracture as an option?

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Fall Temps Soon Upon Us. Runners Rejoice.

They didn't really discuss it at this last visit. I have one more follow up to check on how my meniscus is healing and I have a PT appointment next week to develop an exercise plan to strengthen muscles around the joint to relieve some pressure from the joint. And ultimately, they did say that If I wanted to persist in running, they could help fix any damage that might be caused, but at my age, it's probably not worth it.

Thanks bym! For those not playing along at home, I was first female overall in a hilly little 5k this morning. Pretty pleased that I was able to hold off the competition. I think the next 2 ladies were within only 30 seconds after me.

Ha, that was from one of the booths at the expo, the Little Rock Marathon basically has a hubcap for a medal

Looking forward to the run tomorrow, I doubt if I'll PR but I'm just looking to have fun and enjoy the experience. We are really loving Chicago so far

Good luck, io. Chicago is a great city and the weather is supposed to be perfect for the marathon today. I ran my PR in the Prairie State half marathon. 2 hours and seventeen seconds. I have only been running for about a year and a half, but I love it. There are many really impressive runners on this thread.

So I have been smarting for the last week over a disappointing half marathon. I ran the Jacksonville (FL) Marine Corps Half last week, which was what I considered my first real race after my back surgery a year ago. Throughout the summer, I struggled with distance runs and just attributed it to the heat. Then, in the two weeks prior to last weekend, it turned cool here in South Georgia and I started to see some faster times, although still not what I was prior to the surgery. I didn't have a PR in mind, but with what I was seeing leading up to the race, I was starting to think it could be a pretty pleasing race, which was particularly important as it was going to be my corral qualifying time for the Disney Marathon in January. In fact, my last long run came two weeks prior and was 15 miles and was one of those mornings where I felt like I could run forever and when I got done, I realized I had bested my previous best pace on a long run this year by about 15 seconds per mile. It had me confident going into the race.

Race day came and the cool weather disappeared, not a good start. It was 74 degrees when I got up at 5 am and to make matters worse, it poured for about 10 minutes at 6:40 am (it was a 7 am start). So with everything nice and muggy we set out.

The course wasn't bad. It was pretty flat, which I understand most Jacksonville races are. The only bad part that I saw about the course was that, apparently due to some construction this year that altered things some, once you got into one neighborhood it was basically run a block, turn, run a block, turn. It felt like we were turning corners a lot. But still flat is flat.

The first half of the run went well. I went out slow, was hitting my paces, everything I wanted. The second half of the run was different, which has been the story for me all summer it seems like. I slowed down majorly. I don't know what it is. I didn't feel real tired or anything, although I had some cramping late in the race. I just got slower and slower. By race end, I was actually 17 minutes off my PR and about 10-12 minutes slower than what I thought I was going to be at the start of the race.

My wife told me to remember that it had only been 12 months since the surgery, but I was pretty disappointed. I now have until January to try to figure something out as that is the Disney Marathon.

A question for you hard core runners, with basically three more months to go, do I add some speed sessions into my training to try to get more speed for the marathon? Or do I just look at the marathon (my second) at this point as one that I am just going to go into looking to finish and save the speed work for the next one? Physically, I am recovered from the surgery, so that shouldn't be a problem. I couldn't do the speed work at first and am now wondering if maybe I have waited too late to do it to get back to where I was.

Sounds like speed isn't your problem as much as endurance and/or your fuel plan. What are you doing as far as hydration and fuel?

I use Cliff chews every 40 minutes with water. Gatorade about at 20, water at 30 and 40, Gatorade at 50. Play it by feel from there on. On training runs I have actually had times when I have felt I was taking too much fluid as I have had sloshing in my stomach. That is where the by feel part has come in.

The only thing I have done differently from a fueling point from two years ago to this year is I used one of the Gatorade pre-workout drinks before and don't now.

Part of me thinks its mental. In my first and only marathon, I went in slightly hypernatrimic (sp?) and ended up crashing at about the 14 mile mark. I finished, but it wasn't pretty. Now I have had problems earlier than that in runs this summer, but where I live, even by going out at 5 am I was running in 80 degree weather and 90 percent humidity. Once the sun came up, I wilted under those conditions. It wasn't that bad with the race so I can't figure out what is going on.

You may want to try gels over chews for more efficient delivery. I also would recommend trying the endurance formula of gatorade that has twice as much sodium and carbs. More of the stuff you need to prevent cramping and less sloshing.

I'm a huge fan of honey stinger's gel products. They are delicious and don't upset my stomach like other brands

Back