• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Good point. The clear solution for everyone is much simpler and more overtly racist/classist/segregationist. Simply move to a neighborhood originally developed using race-based deed restrictions and still primarily constructed with the remnants thereof, thus ensuring that they fall squarely into the Selwyn Elementary - AG - Myers Park HS pipeline bubble, so as never have to deal with the issues at all. Problem solved! Nothing to see here.

I tend to like my neighborhood.

copy3_of_infographic_sandiav6.jpg

Conservatives are blaming teachers and schools for the symptoms of income inequality while not giving them the tools to address it.

And compounding the math error by making it easier and easier for advantaged students to segregate themselves into charter schools, thus driving average scores lower.

In order to justify funneling the education to private sources in order to "fix" the problem.

Seriously, what is the basis for your belief that the public education system is broken for the "vast majority" of students? Do you have any actual data that backs up this belief, or is it all purely #anecdotes?

Mostly #anecdotes. But my #anecdoteanalysis is generally pretty accurate.

In order to justify funneling the education to private sources in order to "fix" the problem.

You're acting like there is some vast conspiracy of parents wanting to send their kids to better schools in order to submarine the home school. I don't think they give two shits about the home school once their kid gets out of it, nor should they. Did we worry about the potential impact to Tulsa of us hiring Manning? Their ability might decrease and they might be a worse program. Of course not, we were just focused on improving our own shitty situation. But you wouldn't expect us to stick with Bzz because of what might happen to Tulsa.

You're acting like there is some vast conspiracy of parents wanting to send their kids to better schools in order to submarine the home school. I don't think they give two shits about the home school once their kid gets out of it, nor should they. Did we worry about the potential impact to Tulsa of us hiring Manning? Their ability might decrease and they might be a worse program. Of course not, we were just focused on improving our own shitty situation. But you wouldn't expect us to stick with Bzz because of what might happen to Tulsa.

I don't think you're referring to my post.

A noticeable flaw in Republican logic is that our current public education system is only broken for the poorest children, and yet all of the republican fixes are designed to help the middle and upper class.

Just look at these comprehensive, all inclusive mindsets:

The idea of trying to find the most advantageous educational system for your own child is not unique to either side of the political spectrum.

Your altruistic nature will be put to the test repeatedly when you have kids of your own.

Again, having kids doesn't turn you into someone who wants to deny poor kids a good education.

The idea of trying to find the most advantageous educational system for your own child is not unique to either side of the political spectrum.

Your altruistic nature will be put to the test repeatedly when you have kids of your own.

I have kids of my own.

I didn't know the primary goal of the educational system is to help poor children. I thought it was to educate as many children as possible. I must have confused the educational system with welfare.
Despite arguments to the contrary, simple math shows that a budgeted management system, such as the public school system, is literally a zero sum game re: funding.

Was public school "welfare", before this wave of legislation? If not, then my opposition to these changes can't be labeled as a call for welfare.

Sec. 2. Uniform system of schools.
(1) General and uniform system: term. The General Assembly shall provide by taxation and otherwise for a general and uniform system of free public schools, which shall be maintained at least nine months in every year, and wherein equal opportunities shall be provided for all students.

Again, having kids doesn't turn you into someone who wants to deny poor kids a good education.

No, but it's a damn good reason why some people advocate for the best for their own children, even at the expense of others.

But the goal of public education is to advocate for the best for all students.

I think there's a distinction to be made between someone's policy preferences as a whole and someone wanting what's best for their kids within the existing system. You can send your kids to charter or private schools (or move to a place with a great public school system) and still make the policy argument that the existing structure is unfair to poor people. I don't know that arguing the broader policy point makes you a hypocrite for sending your own kids to a better school if the option presents itself.

Back