• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as Head Coach

Think he'll hire any Wake connections?

business_cards.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck, Coach Caldwell! Hopefully, he can bring some much needed discipline to the Lions.....

Caldwell acting fast. Hired Eagles QB Coach Bill Lazor to be his OC and Rutgers OC Ron Prince to an as yet unnamed Offensive role. Baltimore Ravens defensive backs coach Teryl Austin will be his DC.

Unfortunately Bz will not be on Caldwell's staff. Having to wear a headset was a deal killer.
15iqtl.jpg

Working some ex-UVA connections there. Is George Welsh available?

Caldwell acting fast. Hired Eagles QB Coach Bill Lazor to be his OC and Rutgers OC Ron Prince to an as yet unnamed Offensive role. Baltimore Ravens defensive backs coach Teryl Austin will be his DC.

Caldwell brought Teryl Austin, then 27, to WF when Caldwell got the WF job in 1993. Austin had been a GA at Penn State. Austin worked his way up the coaching ladder with stops at Cuse, Michigan, Florida, the Seahawks, the Cardinals and Ravens (DB coach the last 3 years). Great to see Austin get a DC job in the NFL. Kudos!

Best of luck to Coach Caldwell! He does have 2 Super Bowl rings and is a Wake Forest guy so I wish him well. Hopefully with Calvin Johnson he can get that franchise moving and win that division.

I'm a lifetime Lions fan and while a sexy hire would have been really exciting I can honestly say the Lions need a coach with integrity. And before I'm bashed about jumping on a culture change bandwagon I would just like to say the Lions make Dino's Wake teams seem like choir boys. That is a locker room that is completely unfocused. Besides, Caldwell can win in that division. The whole division is a mess. And maybe he can coach Stafford up a little bit.

And more to the point... Schwartz was a complete ass. Only Schwartz could make a guy like Harbaugh seem sort of normal.

We'll see what happens with the Vikes, but with Caldwell, McCarthy, and Trestman, the NFC North is now the home of the laid-back, quiet breed of coaching.

Caldwell brought Teryl Austin, then 27, to WF when Caldwell got the WF job in 1993. Austin had been a GA at Penn State. Austin worked his way up the coaching ladder with stops at Cuse, Michigan, Florida, the Seahawks, the Cardinals and Ravens (DB coach the last 3 years). Great to see Austin get a DC job in the NFL. Kudos!

Great coach. Glad to see Coach Austin getting a DC gig.

Austin did good work with the Ravens secondary. I'm starting to fear that the brain drain from Harbs' staff over the last few years and the retention of Castillo has us headed in a terrible direction. I further fear that if Harbs promotes either Castillo or Hostler to be the next OC we'll have a disaster on our hands. Hopefully, the powers that be will save Harbs from himself and force him to hire someone like Norv, Chud or Kubiak.

Austin did good work with the Ravens secondary. I'm starting to fear that the brain drain from Harbs' staff over the last few years and the retention of Castillo has us headed in a terrible direction. I further fear that if Harbs promotes either Castillo or Hostler to be the next OC we'll have a disaster on our hands. Hopefully, the powers that be will save Harbs from himself and force him to hire someone like Norv, Chud or Kubiak.

Chud would be great, IMO. How often do you have the opportunity to hire the former coach of a division rival?

Yeah, its amazing how things come full circle. Coach Austin was the first coach I met at Wake. Really nice guy, and I thought he did a good job working with the DBs during his time here.

Truth. There's no Peyton Manning asterisk next to the Ravens Super Bowl season and it should tip the scales of public opinion of whether Caldwell is actually a really good coach. But whether you think he's a good coach, there is no question that he is a good man who reflects positively on Wake Forest and we should applaud, instead of mock, this decision.

As a lions fan I disagree. I respect Caldwell but I don't want him as my coach.

Back