• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

That's why I said by Xmas. The improvement over his second half of the season was incredible. He now has good range and it is improving. He led the Big 10 in rebounding. :)

That's why I said by Xmas. The improvement over his second half of the season was incredible. He now has good range and it is improving. He led the Big 10 in rebounding. :)

Two-and-a-half months ought to do it? No. No no no. This is the type of thinking that will create unreasonable expectations for a 19-year-old kid who is not ready to bang with professional big men. He's a great prospect, but this is a long play, and Clifford is not the coach to have if you're a rookie looking for big minutes. Not going to happen. Certainly not on a playoff team. I expect Vonleh to be the fifth big in the rotation and get somewhere between 15-25 minutes a night off the bench next season. Let him ease into NBA play against back-ups in lower pressure situations. But in two years? Look out.

With only 96 mpg for big men and Jefferson taking up 35 mpg, how will the fifth big get 15-25 mpg?

With only 96 mpg for big men and Jefferson taking up 35 mpg, how will the fifth big get 15-25 mpg?

Honestly, if McBob resigns as expected, he may not get much run in 2014-15. As it should be. He wasn't drafted with a thought toward next's season's roster. He's the future.

Wasn't Arlington the big Zeller guy? Cody Zeller will not be keeping Vonleh off the court this season.

What sort of $$ is Chandler Parsons going to command? He is basically a rich man's version of McBob ... any chance they let McBob walk and try to steal Parsons while the Rockets are getting used by Carmelo and Lebron?

I think out of all the realistic free agents we'll target, Parsons is my favorite. He could play the 3 or the 4, depending on what we need and what kind of lineup we're rolling with. Adds more shooting, spaces the floor. He'd add a ton to the team. I'd be surprised if Cho wasn't actively trying to get him.

Wasn't Arlington the big Zeller guy? Cody Zeller will not be keeping Vonleh off the court this season.

Correct. Clifford will. Vonleh will play limited minutes, as Clifford doesn't play guys big minutes until they fully understand the offense and can hold their own on defense inside his system. Word out of Charlotte is already cooling off the fan base re: Vonleh having a big role next season.

ETA: Let me put it this way so we can avoid another referendum on Zeller: I think a resigned Jeff Adrien might "keep Vonleh off the court," because that's how Clifford seems to do business with young players. You don't get minutes until you earn them in practice, whatever your draft status.

I hope I'm wrong and Vonleh is much farther along than scouts seem to think he is, in terms of being pro-ready, because that would be fantastic. But I'm being realistic. Draft a young project, expect a project. Those dudes don't get big minutes on playoff teams. Regardless, I'm looking forward to summer league.

Last edited:
Correct. Clifford will. Vonleh will play limited minutes, as Clifford doesn't play guys big minutes until they fully understand the offense and can hold their own on defense inside his system. Word out of Charlotte is already cooling off the fan base re: Vonleh having a big role next season.

ETA: Let me put it this way so we can avoid another referendum on Zeller: I think a resigned Jeff Adrien might "keep Vonleh off the court," because that's how Clifford seems to do business with young players. You don't get minutes until you earn them in practice, whatever your draft status.

I hope I'm wrong and Vonleh is much farther along than scouts seem to think he is, in terms of being pro-ready, because that would be fantastic. But I'm being realistic. Draft a young project, expect a project. Those dudes don't get big minutes on playoff teams. Regardless, I'm looking forward to summer league.

I'm pretty sure Vonleh is already better than Zeller

Marc Stein reporting Hornets talking to Shaun Livingston.

He would be a serviceable signing, depending on how much $ of course. Guy from Salt Lake City on the radio this morning said that Utah is willing to throw a max deal at Hayward to keep him, but also said that he needs to be on a team where can be the #2 or 3 option or else he puts too much pressure on himself. Said he and Big Al are good friends from their days together.

ESPN is saying that, as of now, the Hornets have just under $24 million in cap space. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11145515/teams-most-salary-cap-space

I'm assuming that doesn't include the cap holds for McBob ($5 mil) and Ridnour ($8 mil) and CDR ($1 mil). But I also think that Charlotte has Bird Rights for McBob, so could go over the cap to sign him if Jordan is willing to spend, so may not want to renounce him, which would drop them down to about $19mil. I'm assuming they will want to keep CDR.

In any case, that has to be enough to outbid Indiana for Lance, plus get a backup like Livingston or Vasquez, correct? Or do you pass on Lance, see how the core develops over another year, and keep the cap space until next year?

Livingston has proved to be very valuable. He draws lots of attention in the lane and is one of the best passers in the NBA. To maximize his value, a team needs to have some spot up shooters. At this point in time, a lack of knockdown shooters is a weakness of the Hornets.

ESPN is saying that, as of now, the Hornets have just under $24 million in cap space. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11145515/teams-most-salary-cap-space

I'm assuming that doesn't include the cap holds for McBob ($5 mil) and Ridnour ($8 mil) and CDR ($1 mil). But I also think that Charlotte has Bird Rights for McBob, so could go over the cap to sign him if Jordan is willing to spend, so may not want to renounce him, which would drop them down to about $19mil. I'm assuming they will want to keep CDR.

In any case, that has to be enough to outbid Indiana for Lance, plus get a backup like Livingston or Vasquez, correct? Or do you pass on Lance, see how the core develops over another year, and keep the cap space until next year?

Workable number is 15M. The 24M doesn't include McBob or signing the two draft picks.

No, the calculation method below the graph says that it does include the cap holds for first round picks.

That's like "War on Christmas" victimization right there.

Yea Kobe is full of it there. But he's always been a bitch so no surprise.

Livingston signs with Golden State. Oh well, so much for that.

Back