• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Board Fundraising Suggestions

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Back in early 2013 we ran our first boards crowd-source fundraiser and raised enough money to support the boards for 2 years (almost $3300).

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/16085-2013-Old-Gold-and-Black-Boards-Fundraiser

Coming Q1 of 2015, we'll need to start another round. The last time, we offered custom titles to anyone who donated, which seemed to be successful. I'm polling everyone for suggestions to entice people to donate this time around.

A few of the ideas that have already been tossed around:

Logo'd koozies - Sell them for a few $$ apiece, those who dont want the koozie can donate it to a collection to be handed out at tailgates/student events to help get the word out of our existence.

Granting special powers - if you donate XXX amount, you can have the ability to ban another poster for 24 hours, reset their rep to zero, etc.

This is not a call to donate yet, just a thread asking for suggestions.

Would posters be interested in those "rewards", and are there others that we have yet to think of?

My suggestion:

$100 lets you ban any poster for a week.
$100 buys you immunity from being banned by any other poster.

I would donate for the custom name.

I think the idea of doing something for publicity to current students is a great idea, totally separate from raising money for the boards. If we can do both at once, super.

BKF would need to fork over some serious money.

Not $100 per poster that wants to ban you...$100 for protection from all.

Some other things that could possibly be allowed:

one time negrep bomb
avatar control over another poster

Honestly, I'm not sure how much of an incentive the custom title was for the original fundraiser - just a neat perk. I think just asking for some help to keep the place going would work just as well as selling anything (tshirts, coozies, etc.)

however, since it's already paid for and we can't get the $$ back - you could offer creative control over the last week of the billboard to whomever gives the most.

There'd need to be a limit on bannings for obvious reasons.

True. Plus one week was just an arbitrary number. I think something like 1 day would be more reasonable, and limit it to 5 times.

Granting special powers - if you donate XXX amount, you can have the ability to ban another poster for 24 hours, reset their rep to zero, etc.

Hope this was a joke cause this would be horribad.

Some additional ideas:

Titles again - Some of us missed it last time
Additional PM space - Last I checked there was a limit to this which could potentially be increased 25%? 50%? No more 'PH your inbox is full posts'!
Unique Emotes - Would it be possible to have a few emotes that all forum folks could see but only those that donate can use?
Name colors - Donator names that show up on posts (left side top) could change color based on if you donated or not.

Just a few ideas, but my personal favorite:
5* Recruit - A new 5 * recruit for WFU (bball or fball) for everyone who donates. Donating member's choice. No? Ok can't blame me for trying. :)

creative Wake-specific T-shirts with the boards logo to spread awareness

Some additional ideas:

Additional PM space - Last I checked there was a limit to this which could potentially be increased 25%? 50%? No more 'PH your inbox is full posts'!
Unique Emotes - Would it be possible to have a few emotes that all forum folks could see but only those that donate can use?
Name colors - Donator names that show up on posts (left side top) could change color based on if you donated or not.

5* Recruit - A new 5 * recruit for WFU (bball or fball) for everyone who donates. Donating member's choice. No? Ok can't blame me for trying. :)

I would pay for more PM space or a title color.

Some additional ideas:

We kept the donations anonymous last time. Not everyone who donated requested the custom title that was basically a giveaway that they had contributed.

I bet someone pulls the ultimate Townie move and pays $100 to ban themselves.

Back