• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Football Coaching Carousel: Southern Miss HC to Tampa Bay

Dabo to USC !

Richt to Southern Cal !

Clawson to Clemson !

Caldwell to Wake !

His best coaching job was done at Duke 25 years ago. Good luck to him. I heard Grobe is looking for a golf buddy.

If it is not for health reason, I think this is a cowardly way to go out. Message to the team, it is not going well, I quit! Should have at least finished the season.

All year people in Columbia have been talking about the negative recruiting taking place because of the uncertainty of when Spurrier would retire. Spurrier has publicly admitted that they don't have the talent that they have had in years past. This ends the uncertainty. It is like hitting the reset button. While it seems unfair to the current team, I think it will help the program long term. Either way, still not a gamecock fan.

Look for Justin Fuente and Dino Babers (Clawson's replacement) to be top targets for the Gamecock spot

If I'm Southern Cal, I go after Chip Kelly with everything I've got

Nah. Eagles taking out the Bengals in the SB. Book it.

Gotta think this is going to be a crazy season for coaching turnover. I can name another half dozen P5 jobs off the top of my head that are almost certain to come open between now and the end of the season.

Great timing before Clawson has s breakout season. Downside is his price will go up after a round of new contracts.

Tom Herman would be pretty much an A++ hire for any school. USC, USC, wherever....

He did just get hired at Houston though, so who knows

Gus Malzahn did a year at Arkansas St. and then go the Auburn job. Urban Meyer did 1 year each at Bowling Green and Utah and then got the Florida job. If you are a stud, you are not going to be at Houston, Toledo, or Memphis very long before you get scooped up.

If I am Southern Cal I look the Kyle Whittingham down at Utah. He has done a bang up job since Meyer left.

I also do not see Kelly leaving the Eagles even if they have a 8-8 year. He still doesn't have the answer at QB and I am pretty sure Jeffrey Lurie knows it.

@martinrickman 46 seconds ago
steve spurrier quit a job on his own terms when he wanted because he was looking out for himself are we sure he's not a millennial

Gus Malzahn did a year at Arkansas St. and then go the Auburn job. Urban Meyer did 1 year each at Bowling Green and Utah and then got the Florida job. If you are a stud, you are not going to be at Houston, Toledo, or Memphis very long before you get scooped up.

If I am Southern Cal I look the Kyle Whittingham down at Utah. He has done a bang up job since Meyer left.

I also do not see Kelly leaving the Eagles even if they have a 8-8 year. He still doesn't have the answer at QB and I am pretty sure Jeffrey Lurie knows it.

Technically Meyer was at both BG and Utah for 2 seasons before moving on from each.

There were also pretty strong rumors that Whittingham was going to quit last year because of how bad his relationship with the AD was after one coordinator left for a demotion and another for a lateral move.

To me, only way he wouldn't take it is if he doesn't want to live in LA. He's lived in Utah for a long, long time.

His best coaching job was done at Duke 25 years ago. Good luck to him. I heard Grobe is looking for a golf buddy.

Speaking of Duke, I wonder if Spurrier has a back problem. Seems I remember that being the case with someone from there a few years ago.

Spurrier has quit everywhere he's been. I don't find it too surprising that he'd do it in the middle of the season. He still has a few weeks to burn up the fairways in Augusta before they shut it down for the winter.

Speaking of Duke, I wonder if Spurrier has a back problem. Seems I remember that being the case with someone from there a few years ago.

He had a knee replacement a in 2012 and walks with a hitch. I saw him in the hotel gym one morning and the duded did 23 minutes walking on the treadmill and it was comical how exaggerated his movements were. It had to hurt his back to workout like that.

There's also this great vine (that I DID NOT create):

[video]https://vine.co/v/htnhvV1ZZ0X[/video]

Last edited:
Gotta think this is going to be a crazy season for coaching turnover. I can name another half dozen P5 jobs off the top of my head that are almost certain to come open between now and the end of the season.

Potential P5 job openings after the season:

UVA
VT (probably not, but Beamer is on his last legs, or should I say last neck)
Miami
Texas (Strong probably gets another year; they will hire a new AD, and then he will hire a new coach next year)
K State (Bill Snyder is 75, at some point, he has to retire... again)
Maryland
Rutgers
Illinois
Purdue
Colorado
USC
S. Carolina
Georgia (Does Richt survive a 7-5 or even 8-4 season?)
Tennessee (Does Butch Jones survive a 7-5 or even 8-4 season?)

Non P5 jobs that may be open:

UCF
USF
N. Texas
UTSA
Miami (o)
New Mexico
Hawaii
Fresno St.
New Mexico St.
Idaho
Texas State