• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015-2016 MLB Stove: Talk To Your Congressman About Stopping DH Expansion

When are the position player dominoes gonna start falling. Upton, Cespedes, Gordon, Davis. Wonder if Davis' camp is regretting turning down that O's deal.

When are the position player dominoes gonna start falling. Upton, Cespedes, Gordon, Davis. Wonder if Davis' camp is regretting turning down that O's deal.

Sounds like the dominoes will fall as follows:

- Orioles will sign either Davis or Upton if the Orioles get tired of waiting on Davis.
- After the Orioles make their move, there are bunch of teams ready to pounce on the remaining players at amounts less than each of these players hoped to make.
- Current speculation has Cepedes going to either the Tigers, Angels, Giants or an under the radar team.
- If Davis fails to sign with Orioles, either the Angels or the Cardinals are expected to make their move (again, these teams will be bargain shopping offering less than what the O's are offering).
- Gordon has been linked to the Giants, but if the Tigers fail to sign Cepedes, they might be players for Gordon. Same is true for the Angels.
- The rumor mill for Upton has been very quiet other than the idea that Upton would be Plan B for the Orioles if the O's/Davis negotiations breakdown.

As always, there are likely a number of under the radar teams that may come out of nowhere to sign a big name free agent.

Gordon back to Royals, believed to be 4 years, 70-75 M.

Fuck I needed to be productive this morning.

Gordon back to Royals, believed to be 4 years, 70-75 M.

Fuck I needed to be productive this morning.

Not a Royals fan, but am happy that they could re-sign a player that they developed. Reports are that the deal is 4 years $72 M ($18 M per). By far, the largest contract in club history, breaking the $55 million contract that Royals gave to Gil Meche (yes, Gil Meche). Love that the Royals can win with a payroll that large market teams mock (Gordon's contract wouldn't rank in the top 20 in Yankee or Dodger history)

Not a Royals fan, but am happy that they could re-sign a player that they developed. Reports are that the deal is 4 years $72 M ($18 M per). By far, the largest contract in club history, breaking the $55 million contract that Royals gave to Gil Meche (yes, Gil Meche). Love that the Royals can win with a payroll that large market teams mock (Gordon's contract wouldn't rank in the top 20 in Yankee or Dodger history)

Does this deal preclude them from re-signing both Moustakas and Hosmer when they're up for FA? Especially considering they're both Boras clients.

They aren't going to pay Hosmer. Maybe they can buy out 1-2 years of FA w/ Moustakas, but that window might be closing.

They also have one of the worst TV deals in baseball and that deal, unless restructured, goes through the 2019 season. Expectation is to be competitive for 16-17 and then rebuild (and hope the rebuild doesn't take 30 years).

I admittedly don't know a ton about the Royals' front office, but of those core four, I'd pay Cain first, then Hosmer, then it's a toss-up between Gordon and Moustakas.

Slammin sammy stays on the ballot for another year, happy days.

sammy-sosa-pinterest.png

2015-2016 MLB Stove: Bonds to Marlins, Doyers Sign Maeda

It may not be fair, but in my mind I associate Trevor Hoffman with high profile blown saves. Blew one in the 1998 NLCS against the Braves. Blew that crazy Game 163 in 2007 against the Rockies. Blew the 2006 All Star Game. I know he saved a shit ton of games, but whenever I watched him pitch in a big spot, it feels like I only ever saw him blow it. No one ever talks about this and it doesn't seem to be part of his legacy at all, so I guess it's just me.

Three people left Griffey off their ballots. What are the odds any of them have the stones to explain why?

Three people left Griffey off their ballots. What are the odds any of them have the stones to explain why?

Well I know some people said they were leaving their ballot blank because of the steroid stuff.

every year i care less and less about the hall of fame. piazza getting in before bonds pretty much seals my disinterest.

So of the players currently on the ballot, Bagwell, Raines, and Hoffman are all getting in eventually. Schilling has a decent shot and I have to think that's it, unless the tide changes on the PED guys.

So of the players currently on the ballot, Bagwell, Raines, and Hoffman are all getting in eventually. Schilling has a decent shot and I have to think that's it, unless the tide changes on the PED guys.

Piazza getting in represents a change in position on the PED guys. Piazza admitting to using androsteindione which is a steroid (but technically not banned by baseball at the time). The Bonds use of the cream and the clear also was technically not banned at the time as no one knew what the stuff was. There are players in the HOF that used amphetamines, which are illegal prescription PEDs, and no one knows for certain how many of the guys already in used some PED variant. I think there is a chance that Clemens and Bonds get in over the next 6 years (before they fall off the ballot). FWIW, Bert Blyleven got in the HOF, and he had some years when he was at 17%. The numbers can jump when the player is near the end of his run on the ballot.

Piazza getting in represents a change in position on the PED guys. Piazza admitting to using androsteindione which is a steroid (but technically not banned by baseball at the time). The Bonds use of the cream and the clear also was technically not banned at the time as no one knew what the stuff was. There are players in the HOF that used amphetamines, which are illegal prescription PEDs, and no one knows for certain how many of the guys already in used some PED variant. I think there is a chance that Clemens and Bonds get in over the next 6 years (before they fall off the ballot). FWIW, Bert Blyleven got in the HOF, and he had some years when he was at 17%. The numbers can jump when the player is near the end of his run on the ballot.

2017 might be a good opportunity for them to gain in percentage, considering the weakness of the class. You have Vlad, two more PED guys in Manny and Pudge, and a bunch of guys with little to no chance.

The steroid crap is ridiculous. Mickey Mantle was injected with steroids once in the 60s. There are definitely HOFers that have used steroids. They were around in the 70s and 80s too.

Back