• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Player Attrition Watch Thread

Thanks RSF. I think Gross-Armiento will take the medical. That leaves 4 spots left. Their must be a list of guys who will grey shirt. Most likely the lightest recruited guys. I'll say Masterson, Ray, Grate and Watson. But if we are still looking at more recruits to sign, then somebody else will be leaving. Maybe back filling with the early enrollees?

I don't think you can backfill to avoid the limit of 85, just to avoid individual class limits.

Guys to keep an eye on: Chambers, Thomas-Jackson, Wortham, Gardner, O'Neil.

Would not surprise me in the least if they aren't here in July. Clawson will keep them on in the spring for pure numbers, then cut their cord.

I wouldnt be surprised if Tyree Harris transfers too. Kid hasn't really played at all with Clawson.

I don't think you can backfill to avoid the limit of 85, just to avoid individual class limits.

I agree. It works out if you have some others, such as those listed by StrickDeac, who will leave before fall camp. This way you'll never exceed the 85 limit anytime over the next 9 months. I'm sure that the staff has it all worked out, but can't say.

I wouldnt be surprised if Tyree Harris transfers too. Kid hasn't really played at all with Clawson.

I'm pretty sure when they put the white guy in that dropped a pass and inexplicably called for a fair catch against Louisville, transfer papers were filled out.

Starters/Active Contributors: Marquell Lee, Cam Serigne, Mike Weaver, Josh Okonye, Duke Ejiofor, Jalen Latter, Brad Watson, Josh Harris, Wendell Dunn (9)

Good Players who transferred and are playing in 2 deep elsewhere: Ford Howell (NC State), James Looney (Cal), Cory Helms (South Carolina), Lance Virgile (FAU), Andrew Hauser (Cal Poly) (5)

Good athletes who aren't playing (attitude, caught up in coaching change?): Tyree Harris, John Armstrong, Deonte Davis, Julian Thomas Jackson, Dez Wortham, Ali Lamot, Jalen Latter (7)

Kids who haven't played don't know much about: Cameron Gardner, Brendan O'Neill, Taylor Chambers (3)

Disappeared and can't find out anything: Michael Stevenson (1)

Medical Redshirt -- Michael Radford

There are a million ways to do things but Clawson seems to want to get his guys in as quick as possible and I am fine with that. The most recent signing class is always going to be affected by that with more attrition after a coaching change and it looks like it is the case here. All the kids who transferred would be playing for us but it may be better to get your own guys to install your own program. Just the tough part of college football.

I have a tough time explaining Tyree Harris, John Armstrong, etc. without knowing the dynamics That group has all played well when given a chance. Easy to say they can't play but that group has shown promise when given a chance. Could be attitude or just that Clawson is going with his guys. Same could be said with Teddy Matthews, Lewinson, etc. from the 2012 class.

Clawson has cleaned house. It is one way to do it. There will be very few Grobe era kids at the start of the next season for being year 3. From looking at his other stops, it is the way he did it at other places as well. He knew going into the season he would have a small class senior wise but committed 20+ kids. Had to run some off to get to the number and clearly he wants his own guys in.

I may have my pro-Clawson blinders on, but I don’t buy the narrative that Clawson has a bunch of ACC talent that he is refusing to put on the two-deep because they were Grobe commits. I also don’t buy that he is running kids off.

I am convinced that Clawson wants desperately to win every game. Just listen to the guy after a game. He’s emotional (win or lose). He has also mentioned repeatedly that he owes it to the players that have worked so hard to put the best team on the field every game. I think it is believable. There are a number of examples where he has played Grobe recruits over his own. Shelldon Lewinson took snaps away from Willie Yarbary. Late in the season Steve Donatell got playing time over Devin Pike. He played Wendell Dunn ahead of highly-touted recruit Rashawn Shaw all season long. Grobe-commit Ryan Anderson ascended the depth chart faster than Clawson-commit Patrick Osterhage.

I also don’t see evidence that he is running players off. He recently said (again) that he is committed to giving all of his players four academic years. I think this is commendable. To fulfill that commitment he has to carry a lot of dead weight scholarship-wise. It’s almost like having trying to rebuild a program with scholarship restrictions. It’s the right thing to do though.

Note that Andrew Hauser is listed as a fourth string DT at Cal Poly and Lance Virgile is now a walk-on at FAU. Also it has been reported that Clawson tried to get Helms to stay (he didn’t “run him off”).

Last edited:
4th string DT at Cal Poly.....seems like that was a good take.

I guess this tidbit can go here... Bo Archibald announced in late summer that he was transferring to USF. He never enrolled and now there is chatter his leg is in such bad shape that he may never play again. Pretty awful, if true.

This Lance Virgile?

We have some unreal young linebackers:

Donatell
Virgile
Dunn
Jones
Matthews
Chubb

Yes it had been. I consider the last 2 classes as having broken free from being (HS) program centric. We have taken on guys who have run other guys out of school.

I do not like to negatively call out players ... my comments over the years were very limited when it came to guys like Hunter Haynes, Matt Woodlief, Riley Haynes, Scott Betros, etc.,

Today, I can hardly contain my enthisiasm over guys like JT Jackson and Lance Virgile...I mean, these are big time athletes and we have a ton of them at LB - the competitive pressure of those numbers will produce some diamonds.

I am not having to "reach" this year. A lot less "hope" in my voice and a lot more swagger.

Dunn, Virgile, Stevenson, and Davis are the last 4. Those first 3 are going to be very good I would like to get those in soon.

I'm liking the staff's direction in recruiting. They have gone back to the Mack Brown approach of "taking the best athlete available".

Wendell Dunn, Lance Virgile, Justin Thomas-Jackson, Marquel Lee, Ali Lamot ...

Each of these kids is fast and in the 6'3 to 6'4 range (Wendell and Ali may be over 6'4) and each is 215 to 225 (again, Lamot and Dunn appear to have blown up and Lamot looks about 6'4 and 240 today)

I would take 3-4 more just like them...all day.

Starters/Active Contributors: Marquell Lee, Cam Serigne, Mike Weaver, Josh Okonye, Duke Ejiofor, Jalen Latter, Brad Watson, Josh Harris, Wendell Dunn (9)

Good Players who transferred and are playing in 2 deep elsewhere: Ford Howell (NC State), James Looney (Cal), Cory Helms (South Carolina), Lance Virgile (FAU), Andrew Hauser (Cal Poly) (5)

Good athletes who aren't playing (attitude, caught up in coaching change?): Tyree Harris, John Armstrong, Deonte Davis, Julian Thomas Jackson, Dez Wortham, Ali Lamot, Jalen Latter (7)

What basis do we have to say that any of the guys who aren't playing are good athletes? Armstrong has been unimpressive with the ball in his hands. Davis, Jackson, Wortham, Lamont, and Latter haven't seen the field enough to make that call (and haven't seen the field on consecutive 3-9 teams). Tyree Harris was ok as a freshman, so maybe he counts.

State's linebackers were a trainwreck this year and Howell couldn't get snaps. Virgile is a walk-on. Hauser can't play. Looney and Helms were the only 2 guys in that group who might qualify.

The class was a trainwreck. Period.

I guess this tidbit can go here... Bo Archibald announced in late summer that he was transferring to USF. He never enrolled and now there is chatter his leg is in such bad shape that he may never play again. Pretty awful, if true.

If he had stayed at Wake he could have taken a medical redshirt. Terrible outcome.

We would do backflips if Virgile signed with us today. High 3/4 star LB from a great high school. Howell played in all 12 games so he must be doing something right. Is he a Butkus Award winner no, but he was on the 2 deep. Hauser probably couldn't play but an internet search shows he tore his knee up.

We can argue it all day long and I prefaced it by saying unless we were on the field coaching we don't know but our KOR is the worst in the ACC and close to being last in the country. Armstrong disappeared after looking good when given the opportunity to bring it out. Tyree Harris can run and has produced. That one I have no idea on. Wortham looks exactly the same as every RB we have. Average speed at best. Deonte Davis played as a true freshman and tore his knee up. Maybe he never recovered? No idea on Lamot and Latter.

A class that goes 23-23 is the first in NCAA history. Every school in the SEC signs 20-25 kids a year which means they are having all kinds of attrition. I would love to see the study done on that. Is it 50%, 80%? I would think at some places it is a lot lower than you think and those places are wining. My point is you take the current starters, kids who transferred and half of the ones who are buried and it is far from a train wreck. The 2012 class with all its attrition has much more of an argument on that end.

We would do backflips if Virgile signed with us today. High 3/4 star LB from a great high school. Howell played in all 12 games so he must be doing something right. Is he a Butkus Award winner no, but he was on the 2 deep. Hauser probably couldn't play but an internet search shows he tore his knee up.

We can argue it all day long and I prefaced it by saying unless we were on the field coaching we don't know but our KOR is the worst in the ACC and close to being last in the country. Armstrong disappeared after looking good when given the opportunity to bring it out. Tyree Harris can run and has produced. That one I have no idea on. Wortham looks exactly the same as every RB we have. Average speed at best. Deonte Davis played as a true freshman and tore his knee up. Maybe he never recovered? No idea on Lamot and Latter.

A class that goes 23-23 is the first in NCAA history. Every school in the SEC signs 20-25 kids a year which means they are having all kinds of attrition. I would love to see the study done on that. Is it 50%, 80%? I would think at some places it is a lot lower than you think and those places are wining. My point is you take the current starters, kids who transferred and half of the ones who are buried and it is far from a train wreck. The 2012 class with all its attrition has much more of an argument on that end.

Ford Howell played 34 snaps on D through State's 1st 10 games. And that is on a team playing 2 true sophomores and a true freshman at LB. He is not good. Virgile went from being a highly recruited guy to a walk-on.

Nobody expects the staff to go 25 for 25. But batting 50% on contributors to your program should be the baseline for for a staff. Coach Grobe's staff managed to bat less than 30%.

In 2012, the #1 recruiting class was Texas, who will have a losing record this year. #4 Michigan, #5 Florida, and #9 Miami have had coaching changes. You just never know.

Virgile looked really good when I was going to practices a couple of years ago. Not sure what the deal is there, but it's not lack of talent.

Tyree Harris tweeted that he's transferring.

Back