• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Bahamas Basketball Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Chill at PG, BC at SG, and Woods at SF for a 3-guard lineup at times this year. It's early but Chill has a natural PG mentality and seems to really know how to protect the ball and distribute it. Arians and Woods were impressive. Chill is going to be a player.

Manning has put together much better parts than he's had the last few years. Let's see what he can do with it.

I agree on Chill. To me, the biggest "tells" of yesterday's scrimmage was Woods getting the ball in what I think was a 3 guard lineup on the wing but about 10 yards off the baseline. His defender gave him the baseline with baseline help, Woods drove down towards the basket, drew the double team and whipped a fantastic NBA level pass to Arians off the top of the key for an open 3 (which he hit). Then, the next time Woods got the ball in the same place, the defender gave him space and he did the same thing but stopped about 10 feet from the basket and took an open baseline jumper and hit that.

If Woods can give us that level of basketball IQ AND be the consistent 3-point threat we expected, then we will win more games than pundits expect.

The wild cards for me are Dinos and McC. Do we get frosh Dinos? Or soph Dinos? And can McC put it together and be a veteran glue guy? Or does he have a career trajectory like (WF player 10-15 years ago with shoulder trouble whose grandad was an African Catholic bishop and eventually transferred to a Div 2 school in Tennessee).

At first look, Washington looks like he is a year away with his dribble and strength.

McClinton was never anywhere close to Niki Arinze.

I agree on Chill. To me, the biggest "tells" of yesterday's scrimmage was Woods getting the ball in what I think was a 3 guard lineup on the wing but about 10 yards off the baseline. His defender gave him the baseline with baseline help, Woods drove down towards the basket, drew the double team and whipped a fantastic NBA level pass to Arians off the top of the key for an open 3 (which he hit). Then, the next time Woods got the ball in the same place, the defender gave him space and he did the same thing but stopped about 10 feet from the basket and took an open baseline jumper and hit that.

If Woods can give us that level of basketball IQ AND be the consistent 3-point threat we expected, then we will win more games than pundits expect.

The wild cards for me are Dinos and McC. Do we get frosh Dinos? Or soph Dinos? And can McC put it together and be a veteran glue guy? Or does he have a career trajectory like (WF player 10-15 years ago with shoulder trouble whose grandad was an African Catholic bishop and eventually transferred to a Div 2 school in Tennessee).

At first look, Washington looks like he is a year away with his dribble and strength.

I seriously doubt McClinton will play very much or be a "glue guy" if he does. And the soph Dinos wasn't anything to write home about. I know he'll play but I hope it isn't as many minutes as last year.

Would love to see a starting lineup of Crawford, Woods, Arians, Collins and Moore. I doubt we will see that lineup for 5 minutes all year.

Backups would be Childress, Wilbekin, McClinton, Dinos, Sam with some other minutes for anyone not named VanHorn.

I imagine what we will see will be much different as it seems one of Manning's biggest weaknesses is making up decent lineups.

Am expecting big things from Arians. I am a sucker for a shot that has near perfect form. Looks like Arians has better shooting form than anyone I can remember at Wake.

Glue guys have to play a lot. They have high bball IQs and at least one basketball talent. None of those apply to McClinton.

It was fun to see the team play in August, especially to see the 5 new guys. Arians is less athletic than I was expecting but has a beautiful stroke and seems to have a high basketball IQ. He is sort of the anti-McClinton. Assuming we are healthy I just don't see a role for McC or Wilbekin as the year unfolds. We need to settle on an 8 or 9 man rotation, although DM seems to struggle to do that. Wilbekin will be battling with Washington to be the 4th guard but Crawford, Childress, and Woods looked great yesterday. McC will be behind Collins and Dinos at the 4. At the 3 he will be battling with Washington and maybe even Mitchell to back up Arians.

Here is my very early wish list on minutes distribution:
Backcourt: Crawford-30, Woods-30, Chill- 15, Wilbekin/Washington-5
Frontcourt: Collins-30, Moore-22, SJM-8, Dinos-25, Arians-25, Washington/Mitchell10

I just don't think JC can play 30 mins at this stage due to foul trouble issues.

Seems like most everyone wants to see the Crawford, Woods, Arians, Collins, Moore lineup. This group has 3 shooters to provide spacing, at least one (BC) and probably two (Woods) guys who can drive and dish. Dinos would obviously play a lot subbing frequently for Collins/Moore so that each is around 25 minutes. That being said, I can't remember seeing Collins and Moore ever play together. For those of you with bball knowledge, is there a specific reason why those 2 might not work together beyond fouling issues or stamina? JC seems like a prototypical 4 and Moore the classic 5.

Last year, it made sense not to have Bryant/JC/Doral play much together. JC and Doral were really learning as they played. It's tougher for most bigs. Plus, Devin was our best player last year.

Seems like most everyone wants to see the Crawford, Woods, Arians, Collins, Moore lineup. This group has 3 shooters to provide spacing, at least one (BC) and probably two (Woods) guys who can drive and dish. Dinos would obviously play a lot subbing frequently for Collins/Moore so that each is around 25 minutes. That being said, I can't remember seeing Collins and Moore ever play together. For those of you with bball knowledge, is there a specific reason why those 2 might not work together beyond fouling issues or stamina? JC seems like a prototypical 4 and Moore the classic 5.

That's exactly why we won't see it.

I can't believe we have two more years of Wilbekin

Glue guys have to play a lot. They have high bball IQs and at least one basketball talent. None of those apply to McClinton.

Watch the first 5 minutes of the game yesterday morning on replay and get back to me.

Five minutes of one game in over two seasons is hardly indicative of anything or Willie Green would be on his way to the HOF.

Would love to see a starting lineup of Crawford, Woods, Arians, Collins and Moore. I doubt we will see that lineup for 5 minutes all year.

Backups would be Childress, Wilbekin, McClinton, Dinos, Sam with some other minutes for anyone not named VanHorn.

I imagine what we will see will be much different as it seems one of Manning's biggest weaknesses is making up decent lineups.

Am expecting big things from Arians. I am a sucker for a shot that has near perfect form. Looks like Arians has better shooting form than anyone I can remember at Wake.

Must have a short memory. Justin gray and Craig Dawson say hello.

Collins has the potential and skill set to be an explosive and maybe dominant big man. Both he and Moore are incredibly athletic. Collins has pretty solid ball handling skills, great post moves for a sophomore, and time to continue to grow. I'm excited to see his continued evolution inside.

disagree.

Aim may be 22 minutes a game, but I'll have to see it to believe it that his stamina and foul trouble won't prevent him getting there. The late-game stretch where he had some solid performances last year is definitely encouraging. There's no reason why Doral should ever try to do anything other than dunk it when he's within arm's length of the basket.

Back