• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Bahamas Basketball Thread

Pretty sure it was Crawford - Wilbekin - Arians - GMc - Collins.

Ya, that must be the A practice team with Chill-Woods-DickW-TVH-Moore working against them in practice as the "B" team. Hopefully that's all it was an indication of because MW has no business playing more than 10-15 mins as long as Chill can run the offense off the bench and/or play as part of a 3 guard lineup with BC playing off the ball / on the wing a bit. Sorry Mitchell, I've defended you for two years hoping this would be the year you make some serious strides, but he looked worse than he did as a freshman. I hate to be so critical, but the stark contrast between him and the other 3 guards is quite startling considering this is his 3rd year a) working with the same strength coach and b) running DM's systems. Oy.

Thought G-Mc was very active on the boards and was getting after it in the hustle department. Was hoping he'd have a bit more dimension to his game at this point, but I have no problem with him starting and playing with the first unit as that active "glue" guy who does all of the intangibles, rebounds like a pogo stick and cleans up the weak-side garbage.

Would love to see him at the top of a 1-3-1 with Moore under the basket to really put pressure on other teams' guards and wings, disrupting passing lanes and trapping with our guards.

It will drive me nuts when Cigs and Collins aren't on the floor together for Atleast 15+ minutes a game this season.

Such a vast difference b/w Chill and Wilbekin in terms of offensive movement... Chill is non-stop penetrating and dishing. You know that when a freshman is already looking more poised than a junior in August, well, it's time to make some changes...

The penetrate and dish was a hallmark of his father's game, particularly early in games. He would try to keep his team mates interested by feeding them early and often - then, in the second half, either continue, if that was working or take matters into his own hands and dare the other team to try and stop him. If his team mates weren't paying attention, they risked getting hit in the chest or face with a pass. So they stayed alert. Looks like BChill has sent that message as well.

I don't really get the Wilbekin hate and meh. He's a guard most ACC teams would love have coming off the bench. He makes few mistakes and doesn't force things. He was our best 3-point shooter last year. At some point in the first half today, he took two dribbles left and took a 3 and nailed it. He didn't have that shot last year. He was a spot up shooter who could pump fake and take one dribble and one step and shoot. Last year, he added a move to split a double team. He didn't do much with the ball after he split those double teams, but it was a move he added. He's a kid who is probably just barely ACC level talent but ACC level talent none the same. He'd be valuable and reliable this year and the next. To me, that's earning your scholarship.

He's not necessarily going to win games for us, though he can hit clutch 3s, but he won't lose them for us either. The last few years our top two players had the frustrating habit of doing both. I'm all in on Wilbekin.

I like Wilbekin, but he can't play SG due to his lack or size and quickness. Right now, he's probably our 4th guard behind Bryant, Keyshawn and Brandon. the question becomes does Wash get ahead of him.

I don't really get the Wilbekin hate and meh. He's a guard most ACC teams love exploiting when he comes off the bench (or starts especially). He makes few mistakes and doesn't force things. He was our best 3-point shooter last year..

Fixed it for ya bone! ;-) I've staunchly defended Wilbekin to my friends for the past two years, but unless he hits a few open looks off the bench and helps protect the ball with leads in the 2nd half, he doesn't bring much dimension to his game. And he seems to be more prone to taking the forced, "driftaway", off-balance 3 these days in that rare instance he feels he needs to create. I'd rather he drive hard and try to hit a running floater or draw a foul, but he just isn't strong enough. I know it seems like I'm piling on, but he will need to shoot more like the frosh Wilbekin at 38% rather than the very streaky 34% shooter he was last year. I love that he takes good care of the ball and doesn't force things often, but he also doesn't really "catalyze" our offense when running point.

I don't really get the Wilbekin hate and meh. He's a guard most ACC teams would love have coming off the bench. He makes few mistakes and doesn't force things. He was our best 3-point shooter last year. At some point in the first half today, he took two dribbles left and took a 3 and nailed it. He didn't have that shot last year. He was a spot up shooter who could pump fake and take one dribble and one step and shoot. Last year, he added a move to split a double team. He didn't do much with the ball after he split those double teams, but it was a move he added. He's a kid who is probably just barely ACC level talent but ACC level talent none the same. He'd be valuable and reliable this year and the next. To me, that's earning your scholarship.

He's not necessarily going to win games for us, though he can hit clutch 3s, but he won't lose them for us either. The last few years our top two players had the frustrating habit of doing both. I'm all in on Wilbekin.

I like him as a dude, but bro can't guard anybody.

Most folks simply forget the big shots Wilbekin has hit because he hit them in games we mostly lost. But he has hit some critical 3s within the final 3 minutes of games to get us close to win and also to seal a few wins. He's also a good should be great free throw shooter.

He'll play more minutes than people think but less than he did last year. I think we will play some 3 guard lineups because as folks have said, Woods is much bigger than I anticipated. He looks like Wes Matthews build-wise though I know he's about 3 inches shorter than that. I do think he is best suited to get the bulk of his minutes with either Craw or Chill on the court and Doral at the 5 to protect him. To me that equates to about 12-15 minutes a game.

Most folks simply forget the big shots Wilbekin has hit because he hit them in games we mostly lost. But he has hit some critical 3s within the final 3 minutes of games to get us close to win and also to seal a few wins. He's also a good should be great free throw shooter.

He'll play more minutes than people think but less than he did last year. I think we will play some 3 guard lineups because as folks have said, Woods is much bigger than I anticipated. He looks like Wes Matthews build-wise though I know he's about 3 inches shorter than that. I do think he is best suited to get the bulk of his minutes with either Craw or Chill on the court and Doral at the 5 to protect him. To me that equates to about 12-15 minutes a game.

12-15 minutes a game is a LOT less than what he played the first two season... Which is why there is "hate" for him on here.

I agree with you. He's not a bad player. He's a good guy to have coming off of the bench. He's a good shooter. He should probably play 15-20mpg alongside Crawford.

12-15 minutes a game is a LOT less than what he played the first two season... Which is why there is "hate" for him on here.

I agree with you. He's not a bad player. He's a good guy to have coming off of the bench. He's a good shooter. He should probably play 15-20mpg alongside Crawford.

Agreed. It's not really "hate" of Wilbekin. It's just frustration with the fact we haven't had more than 1 ACC caliber guard on our roster in a given year since Teague and Ish matriculated. And even then they weren't necc complimentary parts. Wilbekin will fill a role and probably quite adequately once he adjusts to coming off the bench and spelling our starters. However, he is NOT a SG that you want playing in the physical, bigger ACC and therefore it may be tough for him to find mins even at the point if Childress is this ready to play. And no I don't think it was just the inferior competition.

Brandon just has "it" and when you can quick-cross someone, handle the rock like it's on a string and see the court so well when he beats his man, then we're talking a whole different caliber of player. In fact, Chill may force Danny's hand by playing well enough to warrant serious minutes in a smaller 3-guard lineup with BC & Woods. So ya see, it will be harder and harder for Wilbekin to find minutes, especially when he struggles on D. Anyway, not to beat a dead horse, but hopefully Danny has already recognized this development with an eye to the future and helping MW understand his new role as bench spark and 2nd half ball protector, if we are in the habit of protecting leads, but again, no reason Childress may not be able to fill that role.

If Wilbekin is playing 15-20 minutes, unless he has either grown 4 inches or improved his lateral quickness tremendously, we're screwed. Mitch is an alright player - spot up shooter. But he's not an ACC starting SG. I don't think anyone hates him. But to be a better team, we need better from the 2 spot. Mitch is a 5-10 minute guy.

Last edited:
If Wilbekin is playing 15-20 minutes, unless he has either grown 4 inches or improved his lateral quickness tremendously, we're screwed. Mitch is an alright player - spot up shooter. But he's not an ACC starting SG. I don't think anyone hates him. But to be a better team, we need better from the 2 spot. Mitch is a 5-10 minute guy.

A few points:
15mpg would have been our 7th and 8th guys last year (Watson & Collins)... That seems about right for Wilbekin.
Our 10th man got over 10 minutes a game last year (McClinton).
Hudson played 23.1mpg (6th) and is gone.
Watson (14.9mpg) & CMM (30.5mpg) are also gone.
Trent Van Horn played 12.3mpg last year (9th).

Bottom line is that there are a ton of minutes available in the backcourt... Woods and Childress aren't going to take them all. And I'd rather it be Wilbekin than Van Horn.

A few points:
15mpg would have been our 7th and 8th guys last year (Watson & Collins)... That seems about right for Wilbekin.
Our 10th man got over 10 minutes a game last year (McClinton).
Hudson played 23.1mpg (6th) and is gone.
Watson (14.9mpg) & CMM (30.5mpg) are also gone.
Trent Van Horn played 12.3mpg last year (9th).

Bottom line is that there are a ton of minutes available in the backcourt... Woods and Childress aren't going to take them all. And I'd rather it be Wilbekin than Van Horn.

Wash should get all of Van Horn's minutes.

Van Horn barely played when we were at full strength last year. Remember, most of Van Horn's minutes last year came when Hudson, Watson and Miller-McIntyre were out.

Let's break it down:

Crawford 32 min
Woods 24 min
Moore 22 min
Collins 26 min
Arians 20 min

Dinos 22 min
McClinton 15 min
Wilbekin 15 min
Chill 15 min
Mitchell 12 min (I know folks will say this is way too many minutes, but we have two bigs who get in foul trouble, committed a lot of fouls this morning; he's playing out of necessity)
Washington 7 min
Big Sam 5 min
Trent 2 min

Back