• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long before we hear rummors of bigger schools pursuing Clawson?

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
I thought he sounded really committed to WFU when he took the job. He knows he can set this up for a lifetime job-- just look at what Grobe did. Successful Wake coaches get job offers, but it seldom turns out well for them. Look at Chuck Mills, Cal Stoll, John Mackovic.. Hopefully, Clawson has been around enough to appreciate what can be done here. But I think we will start hearing his name put out there. To be 5-1 in year three after the bare cupboard Grobe left is truly amazing.

Too early for that chatter short of an upset or two over the top Atlantic powers. If he gets a bigger job, that's good for Wake. Be ready to bring in the next guy hustling to get ahead.

Of the schools that will have probable openings (LSU, Texas, USC), I could see him considering backfilling whom ever takes one of those jobs.

I am thrilled to be 5-1 but let's not ignore the fact that the second half of our season sets up very different from the 1st. That goes both ways. Just because we get smoked in a couple games and lose the majority, doesn't mean we didn't keep improving. We are about to start playing much better teams.
Wake is a stepping stone for Clawson. Let's hope he gets his next gig is based on repeated accomplishments at Wake more than potential.

This discussion shouldn't happen until you guys beat a decent/ranked team. You're going bowling, so enjoy that but let's not act like this is an Orange Bowl repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming we finish this season strong and do well next year, maybe then.

I don't think a good season this year will do the job. As Bob said, if he pulls it off again next season...we might have an issue.

Of the schools that will have probable openings (LSU, Texas, USC), I could see him considering backfilling whom ever takes one of those jobs.

If that is the case, he should just stay put 6-8 years and wait for one of the bigs. There is not enough upside to take a "big-light" and betting on a premier program spot later--may not work out. Now, let's all get back into the present which is a season that is a very commendable work product and that is moderately, albeit excitingly, ahead of our year three expectations.

I'm not worried unless we win, say, 9 or more games. Nine and he'd get some looks, 10+ and I think programs would think something was really going on.

You can't live your life scared of coaches getting poached. Invest the buyout back into the program, and hire some just as hungry to continue to build.

Remember guys that if Clawson leaves, Wellman makes the hire. Could be another " Jeff you know who" hire. Not up for lifetime contract, but would like to keep Claw here for awhile. Grobe just retired in place after 2006. Don't think Claw would, but who knows

I've decided I'm not too going to worry about coaches anymore. I remember when we thought Grobe was going to Arkansas, I was sick over it. Not worth it, if you're not a top tier job then you hope other schools want your coach. if the coach stays great, if not it's a compotent AD's job to hire a good replacement. Wait the AD part has me worried again.

Remember guys that if Clawson leaves, Wellman makes the hire. Could be another " Jeff you know who" hire. Not up for lifetime contract, but would like to keep Claw here for awhile. Grobe just retired in place after 2006. Don't think Claw would, but who knows

Wellman also hired the one you're worried about leaving.

Deacfreak07 has the right attitude about this. I like Clawson and was his biggest advocate on here when we were going through the coaching search, but he is not irreplaceable.

I don't think he's going to leave after this season anyway.

Significant raise plus 5 or 6 year extension with hefty buyout.

Nope. Give me the money and the energy of a new guy all day. First few years of Grobe were his best in terms of building something. Had he gone to Arkansas, a new coach could not only have shepherded us through the following years of success while building toward something new. Cash saved can go into facilities and/or recruiting. Houston seems to be doing ok post Sumlin for example.

I'd bet he will be more cautious given his experience at Tennessee.

Nope. Give me the money and the energy of a new guy all day. First few years of Grobe were his best in terms of building something. Had he gone to Arkansas, a new coach could not only have shepherded us through the following years of success while building toward something new. Cash saved can go into facilities and/or recruiting. Houston seems to be doing ok post Sumlin for example.

Not arguing with best approach..I was just stating what is going to actually happen.

Back