• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long before we hear rummors of bigger schools pursuing Clawson?

CartBeforeTheHorse.jpg

My concern is that Grobe replaced them from within instead of getting out the wallet to attract the best talent.

Clawson replaced some of "his guys" when he came here. Doesn't seem as much of a "keep it in the family" guy as Grobe. That was definitely Grobe's biggest weakness IMO, but maybe his biggest strength too. Loyal guy.

I love what DaveClawson is doing and I do think he will set the program up, but no P5 power is going to come after a guy who had back to back 3-9 seasons just because we are 5-1. Even a 9 win season this year would be questionable. Most big ten teams and sec teams fan bases would be beside themselves with that kind a hire.

Fuente won 4 and 3 games his first two years at Memphis, and two years later was at Virginia Tech with a big fat contract

My concern is that Grobe replaced them from within instead of getting out the wallet to attract the best talent.

The athletic department must have been waiting on your check to clear.

I find it rather hilarious that 5 weeks after many on this board were starting threads about Clawson's credibility and being on a hot seat, are now worried we may lose him.

We look much better now than we did against Tulane. Simple explanation.

We look much better now than we did against Tulane. Simple explanation.

I would've probably bet good money we wouldn't be 5-1 right now after watching the Tulane game. It was a bad performance by us offensively without question, but I think Tulane is better than many expected so far this year.

In five short weeks some board members have gone from having Coach Clawson on "credibility watch" (put another way, "on the hot seat") to speculating what jobs Coach Clawson might be offered when other coaches on the hot seat get fired. This is a good development. :D

I'm happy to see this shift and I'm always glad to see a Deacon coach (or for that matter any other employee of WFU) perform so well that his/her name gets mentioned in connection with job openings. Nevertheless I think this kind of talk is premature. Let's take this season one game at a time just like Coach Clawson tells his players to do.

Also, I don't see any school on that list of coaches' hot seats that would be a good match for Clawson (i.e., a school that both would be interested in him and in which he would be interested). For example, I don't think Texas or USC would offer him the job if they fire their coaches and I don't think Clawson would be interested in Kentucky or Kansas if they offered him jobs after firing their coaches.

I hope Coach Clawson has so much success at Wake that eventually other schools come calling. But let's worry about it when it actually happens. For now, let's just enjoy the success that the team is having on the field and hope that it continues.

I'm not sure we have any choice. I doubt we could convince Army and UVA to both show up on the 29th and play a three way.

I'm not sure we have any choice. I doubt we could convince Army and UVA to both show up on the 29th and play a three way.
Kinky!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

If Clawson gets us to the point where he's taking a bigger job, he will have Wake Forest in a good situation for the next man. We'll thank him for his services, and find the next man to build on that success.

I'm thinking 8-4 or 7-5 right now. I do not think that gets him a bigger job this year.

9-3 with a win over FSU, UL, or Clemson gets him some looks.

The real worry after this year will be if we lose Mike Elko. He's a good one.

If Clawson gets us to the point where he's taking a bigger job, he will have Wake Forest in a good situation for the next man. We'll thank him for his services, and find the next man to build on that success.

I'm thinking 8-4 or 7-5 right now. I do not think that gets him a bigger job this year.

9-3 with a win over FSU, UL, or Clemson gets him some looks.

The real worry after this year will be if we lose Mike Elko. He's a good one.

Yeah. I imagine that Elko will have opportunities in the offseason - either a head coaching gig of his own or a D Coordinator spot at a bigger program.

With that said, let's hope he loves Winston and likes what we are building here.

Clawson has yearly games against Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville. Until he starts beating those teams occasionally, he's not going anywhere. In fact, he's going to be here at least until he beats NC State.

Mike Elko is as good on the D, as Troy Calhoun was on the O. Not sure we have ever had a more talented DC.

I would've probably bet good money we wouldn't be 5-1 right now after watching the Tulane game. It was a bad performance by us offensively without question, but I think Tulane is better than many expected so far this year.

Definitely. They have a shot at a bowl. Their TD loss to Navy doesn't look too bad.

Much of the disappointment with Clawson was because we were told all offseason that Tulane was garbage.

Amen about Hood. The best over many hears no matter the talent level.

Our offense did look like hot garbage against Tulane and the switching quarterbacks every other play was annoying when we weren't moving the ball at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Echo Dean Hood being the best DC we have seen at Wake. Remember that the previous 2 weeks we gave up 500+ against Indiana and NC State, so we aren't the 85 Bears yet on defense.

Back