• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

The basic finding is this: Trump supporters seem to believe that globalization threatens cultures around the world–not just Americans. This belief often gets mistaken as “racism.”

I think that the "mistake" is often deliberate. Confusing cultural differences with racism is a part of the strategy of the left because they want to use charges of racism - which may be accurate or may not be accurate and simply reflect cultural differences - in order to try to put those who disagree with them on the defensive.

From an exchange between two immigrants on immigration.
You raise an important point about the small $50 billion immigration surplus that the textbook economic model produces, and the huge $500 billion redistribution that goes alongside it, asking whether perhaps my "quarrel isn't with immigration, but the market economy."

I have no "quarrel" with a market economy. My argument is instead that a candid appraisal should not sweep the distributional effects of immigration under the rug. And it should incorporate the insight embodied in Max Frisch's observation about the guest workers that Germany admitted back in the 1960s: "We wanted workers, but we got people instead." Immigrants are more than the robotic workers that populate the models used in the "search for efficiency." And that fact generates additional wrinkles. For instance, the evidence already suggests that the $50 billion surplus disappears entirely if we account for the fiscal burden imposed by immigration. In other words, a fuller appraisal might have to recognize that, in the end, immigration is just another government redistribution program.
As I said, it may well be that "immigration is just another government redistribution program." My italicization of "just" was not a random click on my track pad. It was meant to drive home the point that there is a good chance that all that immigration does is redistribute wealth.

If there are no efficiency gains to be had, then espousing any specific immigration policy is nothing but a declaration that group x is preferred to group y. It is easy to avoid clarifying who you are rooting for by trying to reframe the debate in terms of amorphous philosophical ideals about mobility rights and the like. But this is where we go our separate ways. When push comes to shove, I will side with policies that improve the well-being of the American worker.

Best regards,
George
http://reason.com/archives/2016/11/25/two-immigrants-debate-immigrat/

I think that the "mistake" is often deliberate. Confusing cultural differences with racism is a part of the strategy of the left because they want to use charges of racism - which may be accurate or may not be accurate and simply reflect cultural differences - in order to try to put those who disagree with them on the defensive.

It's been part of a strategy of propagandizing American workers, trying to convince them that decades of immigration policies and trade agreements that were primarily designed to benefit the elites, are actually good for everyone. Anyone who opposes their agenda is branded a racist, facts be damned. It's easier and more palatable to live in an irrational fantasy land where immigration doesn't create winners and losers, only winners.

indeed he has, Huntington is recommended reading for anyone commenting on the conflicts between Islam and the West

I recently read how up to a third of Germans have reported feeling like strangers in their own country thanks to Merkel's immigration policies. I was reminded of the extreme alienation felt by elderly Brits who are stuck in communities that have been taken over by Muslims. For whatever reason they couldn't join the white flight to other areas and now feel like strangers in a strange land. The character of their community has completely changed. It was a really sad article, though I suspect most on here would have zero sympathy for them and just consider them to be old racists.

hold on are you asking if df07 is asking if sailor is asking if ph is asking if sailor really believes it?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Sailor, do you think it is racist to think that people should stick to their own kind?

Sailor, do you think it is racist to think that people should stick to their own kind?

I'm guessing most of you live in predominantly white areas and, on the off chance some of you heathens go to church, attend primarily white churches. Hate to single you out Ph, but you're a Christian. Is your church primarily black?

I'm guessing most of you live in predominantly white areas and, on the off chance some of you heathens go to church, attend primarily white churches. Hate to single you out Ph, but you're a Christian. Is your church primarily black?

Are you asking if I chose my communities based on their racial makeup? You also realize that Ph is in an interracial marriage with biracial children, right?

Back