• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

It is just a bit absurd to me that Ohio State can get into the playoff when they weren't even able to win their division in conference (much less actually win the title). Bama, Clemson, and Washington at least earned their way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best overall team in the best conference with the best schedule gets a shot. Not unheard of. BCS did it also when Bama played LSU for the title. Selection guys can't make everybody happy whether it is 4 or 8 teams or 64 or 68 in basketball. Somebody gets left out and is unhappy.

That wouldn't explain why a team that doesn't win a conference title deserves a bid ahead of a team that beat them and did win a conference title.

Correct. It wouldn't. But you can't whine solely about conference titles. It is entirely possible a team that doesn't win their conference deserves a bid.

Frankly, on balance I think OSU has a better chance to win the title than PSU. That's just my opinion. But no one could cry had the committee chosen PSU and left OSU out.

That wouldn't explain why a team that doesn't win a conference title deserves a bid ahead of a team that beat them and did win a conference title.

This is my beef. The committee chair spent a lot of time talking about how they evaluate teams from all angles to figure out who is the best...but Penn St and Ohio St played, and Penn St won. Shouldn't that be an important part of the criteria.

I'm ready for the eight team playoff now. Five conference champs, three at-large; Group of Five gets an auto bid if they have a team in the top ten. Who says no?

This is my beef. The committee chair spent a lot of time talking about how they evaluate teams from all angles to figure out who is the best...but Penn St and Ohio St played, and Penn St won. Shouldn't that be an important part of the criteria.

I'm ready for the eight team playoff now. Five conference champs, three at-large; Group of Five gets an auto bid if they have a team in the top ten. Who says no?
I do. 8 is too many. Would make for a lot of meaningless regular season games. There wouldn't have been much of anything at stake in The Game last weekend, besides a few seeding spots. I like it at 4.

I do. 8 is too many. Would make for a lot of meaningless regular season games. There wouldn't have been much of anything at stake in The Game last weekend, besides a few seeding spots. I like it at 4.

Such a stupid argument. If conference champs get auto bids, then all those divisional games and conference championships would be awesome. If VT was driving last night for a chance to play for a national championship or the PSU-Wiscy game had playoff implications for both teams...yep meaningless.

The reality is that the regular season of CFB is meaningless for all but about 10 teams anyway. With autobids, all P5 teams start the season with a shot.

As much as I don't like the 4 teams that got in (cough OSU), I do believe that 3 of the best 4 teams did get in. The problem with the old BCS model was always arguing over 1-2 teams that got left out that had a legitimate argument to be the #2 team. With the current model, I think almost everyone would agree that at least the Top 3 teams have gotten in each time.

As much as I don't like the 4 teams that got in (cough OSU), I do believe that 3 of the best 4 teams did get in. The problem with the old BCS model was always arguing over 1-2 teams that got left out that had a legitimate argument to be the #2 team. With the current model, I think almost everyone would agree that at least the Top 3 teams have gotten in each time.

Then the BCS wasn't broken because the best team always got in.

Then the BCS wasn't broken because the best team always got in.
No, the purpose of the BCS was to have the Best 2 teams play each other. Just about every year, there was an argument over the #2 spot between 1-3 teams, and only 1 team got that spot.

Just shows all of the hype and excitement from the B1G Championship Game was really just bluster and not really important, except for those in the B1G who are still obsessed with the Rose Bowl.

If this was the basketball committee no way they would've gone Wash over Penn St., FWIW. Non-conf SOS is hugely valued there.

But they don't have to deal with the political ramifications of giving one conference 4 bids over 3 years, and another conference one in the same time frame (which would've been less of a problem if Ohio State had been left out in 2014)

penn state missed out precisely of the importance of non-con -- because they LOST to pitt. arguing for conference championships to carry paramount value minimizes non-con games.

I hate Clemson, but will pull for them against tOSU. Definitely want to see them lose the championship game in heartbreaking fashion or by blowout.

Back