• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

What happens? The world still turns. If you are truly good enough to get in, you would either be a) good enough to win your conference championship or b) good enough to get one of the three remaining spots.

What happens now if Washington and tosu both win?

It depends on the parameters by which you define "a more deserving team." Had Bama been upset in the SECCG, in my view, they are no longer the more deserving team. Florida is.

It really all comes down to this question - do you want the playoff to be comprised entirely of teams that a thirteen person committee thinks are the four best or do you want a playoff comprised of teams who knew exactly what the qualifications were from the first day of spring practice - win and you're in. And did.

IMO, the eight team playoff, with CCG winners auto-qualifying, combines the best of both.

Personally, I am against an 8 Team Playoff at all costs for various reasons that could be covered in a post/thread by itself (I know that I make long posts as it as, and I want to thank the people that take the time to read them). However, I have always been a proponent for "+1" or 4 Team Playoff since 2003 when the Polls split the NT between LSU and USC.

After this season's debacle mixed with what happened to TCU in 2014, the current CFPC needs to come out and state which factors (SOS, Winning CCG, head to head, what teams you lost to, is margin of victory a factor, etc) are the most important factors, and keep these factors each season. In 2014 they stated non conference scheduling was more important than winning your conference, along with more importance of a playing an extra game in the form of a CCG, hence OSU over TCU. However, this season by putting Washington in over Penn St they are stating winning your conference is more important than who you play in the non conference.

As for leaving Bama out of the scenario I gave, I respect your opinion but disagree with it. I would like to hear a reasonable argument against leaving them out this season other than their only loss coming in the CCG.

Can we both agree that OSU would be 1 of the 3 At Large bids? That leaves 2 spots between Bama, Michigan, and Southern Cal.

Before I make my case for Bama, I want to state that I am a CFB FIRST before my teams (dad played football at Wake, and I went to Grad School at both Alabama and South Carolina), and when it comes to deciding if they belong in the CFP or any other outside decision, I try to be as objective as possible.

First, Bama would have only 1 loss to a team ranked 15th, whereas Michigan and USC have 2 and 3 losses, each of one to an unranked team. Bama smoked USC 56-3, and beat a total of 8 ranked teams at the time the games were played along with WKU who won CUSA. Also, they didn't just beat teams, they dismantled them taking away their will to finish the game. Their closest game was against Ole Miss, when they were still healthy, were down by 21 points and then outscored them 48-6. Almost forgot, they didn't allow a TD for 4 straight games, which included 2 ranked teams (LSU and Auburn).

Last edited:
How many times has the 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th ranked team had a legitimate gripe?

This year I would not say they have a legitimate gripe, but this year #9 USC would have a legitimate chance in the first round if seeded 2 or 3. And #7 Oklahoma would be the same. SMU had a good gripe a couple years ago in bball when they got left out with a 23-9 record & 4 wins over NCAA teams. Not that their run would have been deep but they certainly could have done 1st & 2nd round damage until Wellman left them out. Still the key is, get it done in the regular season! We all know the rules and Michigan--don't lose to 8-4 Iowa. Penn State--don't lose to 8-4 Pitt. Either of you win those games & you are in instead of Washington & maybe Ohio State.

Last edited:
What happens? The world still turns. If you are truly good enough to get in, you would either be a) good enough to win your conference championship or b) good enough to get one of the three remaining spots.

What happens now if Washington and tosu both win?

Isn't that the purpose of the CFP, to determine the best team by forcing the "Best 4 Teams" to play each other.

However, in 2014 you had FSU that was undefeated and were reigning NCs led by a Heisman Trophy winner. Oregon was still at their peak with that season's Heisman winner in Mariota. OSU was down to their 3rd string QB, but Urban uses a "System Offense" that is basically just plug and play, but still had Elliot and a great defense. Last season, Clemson was #1 and undefeated going into the Playoffs. MSU had a dominant defense along with a 3 or 4 year starting QB in Cook. My point is that this season appears a little different than the past 2 because of not only the dominance of Bama, but there appears to be a lot of parity among the teams in tier below them. This was not the case in the previous 2 seasons.

Personally, I have no idea what Clemson team will show up. It appears that they got their act together after the loss to Pitt, but a month is a long lay off, and any rhythm or momentum they gained could be lost by the time they play OSU.

I don't know why the media is making it a forgone conclusion that Bama will walk through the CFP. I have stated many times that Washington was the last team I wanted to face because (1) of Chris Peterson and (2) they will throw quite a few 50/50 deep balls, and if their WRs can make a few of those catches they have the ability to give Bama a run for their money. The one thing Bama's defense does a lot is leave their DBs in either Cover 1 or 0. If Washington counters by using 4 or 5 WR sets that leaves a lot of 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help. Also, Washington doesn't have to effectively run the ball, they just need to run it enough to force Bama to respect it in order to setup play action.

Last edited:
Personally, I am against an 8 Team Playoff at all costs for very reasons. However, I have always been a proponent for "+1" or 4 Team Playoff since 2003 when the Polls split the NT between LSU and USC.

After this seasons debacle mixed with what happened to TCU in 2014, the current CFPC needs to come out and state which factors (SOS, Winning CCG, head to head, what teams you lost to, is margin of victory a factor, etc) are the most important factors, and keep these factors each season . In 2014 they stated non conference scheduling was more important than winning your conference, hence OSU over TCU. However, this season by putting Washington in over Penn St they are stating winning your conference is more important than who you play in the non conference.

As for leaving Bama out of the scenario I gave, I respect your opinion but disagree with it. I would like to hear a reasonable argument against leaving them out this season other than their only loss coming in the CCG.

Can we both agree that OSU would be 1 of the 3 At Large bids? That leaves 2 spots between Bama, Michigan, and Southern Cal.

Before I make my case for Bama, I want to state that I am a CFB FIRST before my teams (dad played football at Wake, and I went to Grad School at both Alabama and South Carolina), and when it comes to deciding if they belong in the CFP or any other outside decision, I try to be as objective as possible.

First, Bama would have only 1 loss to a team ranked 15th, whereas Michigan and USC have 2 and 3 losses, each of one to an unranked team. Bama smoked USC 56-3, and beat a total of 8 ranked teams at the time the games were played along with WKU who won CUSA. Also, they didn't just beat teams, they dismantled them taking away their will to finish the game. Their closest game was against Ole Miss, when they were still healthy, were down by 21 points and then outscored them 48-6. Almost forgot, they didn't allow a TD for 4 straight games, which included 2 ranked teams (LSU and Auburn).

Flip a coin to decide between Michigan and USC for all I care. Hard to feel sorry for them. In theory, under the current system you could have 5 undefeated conference champions and have to choose 4. That's beyond stupid.

Flip a coin to decide between Michigan and USC for all I care. Hard to feel sorry for them. In theory, under the current system you could have 5 undefeated conference champions and have to choose 4. That's beyond stupid.

If you're willing to flip a coin between Michigan and USC, then why are you leaving Bama out when they beat USC 56-3? Basically, by flipping a coin between Michigan and USC you are saying they are "equally deserving". However, Bama didn't just beat USC, but smoked them.

If you're willing to flip a coin between Michigan and USC, then why are you leaving Bama out when they beat USC 56-3? Basically, by flipping a coin between Michigan and USC you are saying they are "equally deserving". However, Bama didn't just beat USC, but smoked them.

Bama was already in in that scenario. There are 3 at large spots. Bama, tosu, and Michigan/USC.

Back