• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

What I find interesting about the CFP selection is whether they are consistent about their criteria and applying that across the different teams in the mix.

For instance, OSU vs. PSU (if they win B1G):

H2H matchup: PSU , @PSU
Conf Champ: PSU
Better overall record: OSU (1 loss vs. PSU 2 losses)
Better resume, non-conf: OSU, with win @ (probable) conf champ Oklahoma. PSU lost @ Pitt and barely beat Temple
Better resume, in-conf: Push, slightly favoring OSU's much harder schedule, having played @Wisc & Nebraska from west & beat Michigan, while PSU had easier west matchups and got wrecked by Michigan...BUT they did beat OSU
Eye test: Most people probably say OSU, though they have looked very mediocre in games against IU, PSU, Wisconsin and NW.

Which of these criteria is most important, and in what order? Perhaps committee considers PSU win over OSU somewhat of a push considering it was @PSU and a fluke play was the difference? (just speculating)

In 2014, it was all about the "eye test" for OSU. Harder to make that argument when you're comparing two teams that actually played against one another.

And will have beaten Wisc in your scenario

I would love to see this on the weekend matchups:
Penn State over Wisconsin
if Clemson over Virginia Tech
Washington over Washington &
Alabama over Florida

CFP playoffs line up as #1 Bama vs #4 Penn St and #2 Clemson vs #3 Washington
many have said on all the talk shows that conference champions will take precedence plus the Penn State victory over OSU will weigh heavy in their thinking.
We shall see. But if Wisconsin beats Penn St with the other scenarios, I see #1 Bama vs #4 OSU & #2 Clemson vs#3 Washington [again the extra games leaves OSU losing leverage and not a conference champ]

Penn State's disregard for turning in pedophiles should also weigh heavily in their thinking

Bama wins, Colorado wins, VT wins & Wisconsin wins--#1 Bama vs # 4 Michigan and #2 Ohio St vs #3 Colorado [Michigan beat both Colorado & Wisconsin]
Florida wins, Colorado wins, VT wins & Wisconsin wins--#1 Bama vs #4 Michigan and #2 Ohio St vs #3 Colorado [Michigan beat both Colorado & Wisconsin]
Florida wins, Colorado wins, Clemson wins & Wisconsin wins--#1 Clemson vs #4 Colorado and #2 Bama vs #3 Ohio St

Depending on what else happens, I don't think it is a given that Clemson drops out with a loss... Probably, but not certain. They have some good wins and pass the eye test.

Penn State's disregard for turning in pedophiles should also weigh heavily in their thinking

Thank you. I respect some of my penn state friends but the ones that vehemently support and deny Joe Pa any wrong doing make me want to puke. Screw PSU.

Bama wins, Colorado wins, VT wins & Wisconsin wins--#1 Bama vs # 4 Michigan and #2 Ohio St vs #3 Colorado [Michigan beat both Colorado & Wisconsin]
Florida wins, Colorado wins, VT wins & Wisconsin wins--#1 Bama vs #4 Michigan and #2 Ohio St vs #3 Colorado [Michigan beat both Colorado & Wisconsin]

I don't think H2H should be this definitive when it's a home H2H win. Who knows what would've happened if Michigan played @ Colorado or Wisconsin

Florida wins, Colorado wins, Clemson wins & Wisconsin wins--#1 Clemson vs #4 Colorado and #2 Bama vs #3 Ohio St

Under all of your scenarios, Wisconsin should get in. Picking the 3 AND 4th best team in a division over the overall Conference champ would be silly and blow up the system, and CO is not going to leapfrog WI. H2H is not the only thing that matters.

I don't think Michigan gets in under any scenario. 2 losses, not a conference champ, lost 2 of last 3.

Michigan's main appeal right now is that people just watched Michigan-OSU and it was a close, hard-fought, compelling game.

Some team will do something over the next two days that will push that more to the back of people's memories

Michigan is DONE. You don't lose two out of your last three and get into the event. But hey, if they want the shit kicked out of them by Alabama that would be fun to watch.

In that case, Michigan would have beaten three of the teams (Penn State, Wisconsin, Colo) potentially in the Final Four and lost to OSU in Double OT at OSU.

No. They would have beaten two of those teams. Wisconsin and Penn State are not getting to combine forces in the final four. But hey, you're from Michigan. You were told there would be no math.

I'll be the first to admit, I hate Michigan. And I really hate their coach. I hate everything about that school (save a girl I dated when I was in law school who went there).

But the simple fact is you cannot lose two of your last three games and make the college playoff. They are done. Although I'd love to watch Alabama beat the ever living fuck out of them again.

Michigan beat PSU, 49-10. Pitt beat PSU, 42-39.

You are aware there is NO transitive property in sports.

Here.

Iowa beat Michigan (at Iowa)
North Dakota State beat Iowa (at Iowa)
South Dakota State beat North Dakota State (at North Dakota State)
Cal Poly beat South Dakota State

It follows that Cal Poly would crush Michigan.

Thank you. I respect some of my penn state friends but the ones that vehemently support and deny Joe Pa any wrong doing make me want to puke. Screw PSU.

I am a Penn State fan who in no way supports the school or Joe Paterno's handling of the Sandusky attrocities. Had Paterno lived, IMO, he should have faced criminal charges. But the criminal justice system is where the matter belongs. Not the college football playoff selection committee.

No. They would have beaten two of those teams. Wisconsin and Penn State are not getting to combine forces in the final four. But hey, you're from Michigan. You were told there would be no math.

I'll be the first to admit, I hate Michigan. And I really hate their coach. I hate everything about that school (save a girl I dated when I was in law school who went there).

But the simple fact is you cannot lose two of your last three games and make the college playoff. They are done. Although I'd love to watch Alabama beat the ever living fuck out of them again.

Okay, so this explains your complete crusade to keep Michigan out. Other than you, the committee has them at 5 and notes the difference between them and Washington is minuscule. But carry on.

I'm also not from Michigan but went there for law school. If you've spent any time there, not sure what the reason to hate them is.

Last edited:
Back