• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_67e882e6-8084-5922-9ead-c33e0474503f.html

“My downfall this year, the thing I had to overcome, was walks and hit by pitches and putting guys on base for free,” Roberts said Tuesday by phone.

The difference, he said, was that as a reliever he overpowered batters with just two pitches, a four-seam fastball and slider. But as a starter he has added a two-seam fastball and a change-up, all the while concentrating on inducing early contact and avoiding deep counts.

FWIW, Parker Dunshee is killing it for the A's Summer Season Class A team in Vermont:

24 IP 0.00 ERA (yes, no runs allowed in 8 appearances; 6 starts; they are limiting his innings because of college innings load) 0.71 WHIP 30Ks.

Realize that he's a long way from Oakland, but his professional start couldn't have been better.

Breazeale was Orioles Minor League player of the month. He is still hovering around .400.

We missed a hell of a chance this year. Win game 1 against Fla and I don't see anyone who would have beat us in the CWS.

The official website summarized how all the returning Diamond Deacs played in the various amateur Summer Leagues (as a whole, an impressive Summer, next year's team could be strong again):
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/081417aaa.html

I'm feeling good about it. Pitching should be as good as last year, if not better, despite losing Dunshee and Johnstone.

Johnny Baseball, Mueller, Bruuuce, Harvey will bring some good bats. Not sure about the incoming Frosh but I imagine we have some guys waiting their turn.

There is a lot of good in those summer league numbers but also a whole lot of bad.

For the Vermont Lake Monsters (Class A Short Season), Parker Dunshee has pitched 31.1 innings, given up 12 hits, 6 walks, and ZERO runs. He's struck out 36 batters and has a .117 average against him.

For the Vermont Lake Monsters (Class A Short Season), Parker Dunshee has pitched 31.1 innings, given up 12 hits, 6 walks, and ZERO runs. He's struck out 36 batters and has a .117 average against him.

Yeah, Parker seemed like a guy who didn't get enough respect come draft time. When he was dialed in, he was one of the best pitchers in the conference. I hate that he didn't get paid like he should have.

read on gamecocks message board that WFU pitching coach Matt Hobbs interviewed with the Gamecocks about their pitching coach vacancy but decided to stay with WFU. Good news for Wake baseball.

Wake baseball is primed to be a national player for a while.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but already 3 commits for class of '21. One is a local kid from King...6'3" LHP, throws mid-80's. He'll continue to grow...his older brothers are tall and very athletic. Top 40 nationally, #1 in NC.

The HS Class of 21?

Those kids aren't halfway through their freshman year. Not a fan of commitments in any sport that early. Kids grow, don't grow, lose interest, improve, decline, get injured, get in trouble. Also, a commitment from a HS freshman just further points out what a joke academics play in admissions on the Power V level. None of those kids has completed a single HS class or taken a single standardized test, yet WF is ready to give each an offer of admission? Spare me with the WF is different than the schools we compete against drivel.

Depends. If the kid has made As and Bs in honors courses is there really a concern he wouldn't qualify?

Depends. If the kid has made As and Bs in honors courses is there really a concern he wouldn't qualify?

You mean on their middle school transcripts? These kids apparently committed this Fall, and they are HS freshman. They have no HS transcript and no HS grades, unless WF looked at the results from pop quizzes this September.

Last edited:
Back