• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

They are in one of if not the largest amateur baseball markets in the country. It's no surprise that Florida, F$U, Miami, South Florida, Central Florida, Florida Gulf Coast, and a few more are heavily competitive in college baseball and all regularly make the NCAA's. Kevin O'Sullivan and Mike Martin (F$U coach) probably never have to leave the state to recruit.

You can go by a little league field in most parts of FL on a Tues in November (or a Thurs in Feb, Wed in April, blah blah blah) and there is probably a game or practice going on.

That's what happens when you're a private university not representing the state you're in. We must "go national" of necessity.

Think it's more a function of the state of Florida having a ridiculous amount of talent. Florida has no need to go out of state to fill it's roster. The same is true for private school Miami.

OTOH, UNC, a public university has players from 13 different states. UVA is similar. In particular, baseball recruits from the Middle Atlantic and Northeast flock to the Virginia and North Carolina universities (and Vandy) to play.

According to Twitter, Wake just received a commitment from Jackson Miller a catcher from Florida. Apparently he is highly ranked.

Jackson Miller‏ @Miller24Jackson

Very excited to announce that I have committed to Wake Forest University to continue my baseball and academic career! #GoDeacs

Actually the commitment came yesterday. Sorry.

How's it going Coach Odom?

I didn't say state schools are "better", like Odom did. It's a plain fact that local kids are drawn to the major state schools in their state to "represent" the state. Duke is also "national" in its recruiting, although much, much more successful in athletics than Wake has been. Even Notre Dame is "national".

Definitely helps to be in the hot bed of talent that is the state of Florida.

It also helps to have a guy as head coach that has one of the best reputations in all of college baseball for developing pitching talent:

"In two years at Virginia, nine at Clemson and eight at Florida, he has coached 74 pitchers who have been drafted or signed pro contracts. This list includes six first-rounders, 20 top-five-rounders, 35 top-10-rounders and 10 All-Americans."

"In two years at Virginia, nine at Clemson and eight at Florida, he has coached 74 pitchers who have been drafted or signed pro contracts. This list includes six first-rounders, 20 top-five-rounders, 35 top-10-rounders and 10 All-Americans."

That is what I would call a "draw".

A few quick updates on our boys. Will Craig is mashing for average over the last month or so but power numbers are low. He has been moved to 1b. Mondou was called up and is killing it for average. Johnstone had a scoreless first start. Breazeale is killing it batting .455 so far. Stu struggling a bit. Donnie no earned runs so far in 4 innings. Hard to tell but assuming he is in the bullpen.

Also, I believe Aiello is playing for Team USA Collegiate team.

The deadline for the Twins to sign Roberts is tonight.

Whit and Hite's father, Bill, was a baseball star at WF. Their mother Kissy Hite (thus Hite's name) played tennis at WF. Glad that WF landed Hite!

I remember it being a big deal that Whit didn't come to Wake. Obviously worked out okay for him but he ended up being a lot better than I think a lot of folks even thought he would be too. Not quite on the level of Virginia Tech not landing Steph Curry but always tough to see when the kid of a school HOF'er goes elsewhere.

Whit merrifield is kind of a legend in SC , most of all because he had the game winning walkoff hit for the gamecocks first national championship

Can someone tell us who left early and who is returning?

The players I'm sure of who left early are Fairchild, Sheets, and Sellers. I think everybody else is coming back. I've wondered how/if Drew Loepprich fits into the plan next year. He was a weekend starter in 16, but this past season was a part-time weekday starter who sometimes pitched out of the bullpen on the weekends. I read in the Journal an interview with Coach Walter about next season's pitching, and he didn't mention Loepprich at all. I've wondered if maybe Loepprich was going to transfer to another school for his senior season, perhaps as an early graduate. Anybody with any additional info feel free to add.

Back