• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

March Madness Thread

On Mike and Mike they talked a lot about how Duke took advantage of foul trouble against Louisville and UNC and that they helped create that fouls trouble, but I don't think they'll get those calls outside of the ACC.

FFS, where are the basketball people to correct this fake news? "Well, Mike, there's not a serious observer of the game of basketball that believed undersized, inexperienced, jump-shooting Dook should outshoot taller, more experienced Carolina by 33 free throw attempts in two games, including a loss, but the t.v. people needed Dook as a 2 so they got it. Because they always get it. Because F them, Mike. Thanks for having me on the show."

I've been trying in vain to find a clip of Ish hitting the buzzer beater against Texas during our last NCAAT run but have come up short so far.

I've been trying in vain to find a clip of Ish hitting the buzzer beater against Texas during our last NCAAT run but have come up short so far.

Was Ish's shot a buzzer beater or a very late shot?

I did not think the horn actually went off with the ball in the air. The only game-winning buzzer beater for WF that I can remember in the last 30 years is CP's at NC State in the nut punch game.

I did not think the horn actually went off with the ball in the air. The only game-winning buzzer beater for WF that I can remember in the last 30 years is CP's at NC State in the nut punch game.

I remember Ish hitting a few game winners from the same spot (upper right free throw line). Also James Johnson's layup off the baseline inbound pass against Dook. JT Terrell shot from the coaches line against Iowa. Just off the top of my head...

I've also tried in vain (many times over the years) to find that same clip. CBS or the NCAA sure take care none of that ever gets posted apparently. However, there is a pretty hilarious video of a Texas fan watching the second half. Let me see if I can find it.

ETA:

I'm almost positive it was a buzzer beater, that was a long time ago now though.

I remember Ish hitting a few game winners from the same spot (upper right free throw line). Also James Johnson's layup off the baseline inbound pass against Dook. JT Terrell shot from the coaches line against Iowa. Just off the top of my head...

I'm making a pretty fine distinction here, but I'm looking for the red light going off while the ball is in the air. No subsequent inbounds opportunity.

Here's the lead from the Duke game - not at the buzzer.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012809aab.html

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - James Johnson's layup with 0.8 seconds remaining helped No. 6 Wake Forest beat No. 1 Duke 70-68 on Wednesday night.

<>

Singler's full-court inbounds pass for Henderson was tipped by Williams, sending Wake Forest's tie-dye-clad student section spilling onto the court for the second time this month.

If I remember there was 1.3 seconds left or something.

I loved the end of that game. So Dino tells the team to foul immediately no matter who gets the ball. Ish leaves the huddle and tells the team that's bullshit, don't foul the first guy let's trap him and try to get a steal (he was like a 90%+ free throw shooter and there was plenty of time left). They trap, he gives it up, we foul the next guy and he misses both free throws. Ish takes it and wins the game. His heroics barely saved what was a gag-fest between two awful tournament teams playing for the right to get embarrassed by Kentucky. Ish would score 2 points in that game as we delivered the blowout everyone expected.

Terrell vs. Iowa also not a buzzer beater:

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Freshman J.T. Terrell had 32 points, including the game-winning three-pointer with 2.7 seconds left, to lead Wake Forest to a 76-73 win over Iowa in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Tuesday evening at the Lawrence Joel Coliseum.

pretty sure we've had one buzzer beater (for us) in 30+ years. and of course that led to CP3 being suspended for the ACCT, and then Pittsnoggle/Gansey. meanwhile we've had several against us. we're due!

Last edited:
shmael Smith's pull-up jumper from about 17 feet out with 1.3 seconds remaining in overtime gave ninth-seeded Wake Forest an 81-80 win over No. 8 seed Texas in the first round of the NCAA tournament Thursday night.

My memory thought it was a true buzzer beater, but apparently not.

yeah, me too. In fact, while looking for it I ended up re-watching the Cleveland St disaster, the epic win over Louisville in 1996 (how we defied Wake bad luck on that last put back I have no idea), and parts of the Kentucky blowout. All I could find was a postgame interview. Ish's other buzzer beaters are up there, though.

pretty sure we've had one buzzer beater (for us) in 30+ years. and of course that led to CP3 being suspended for the ACCT, and then Cleveland State. several against us. we're due!

Your wires are crossed. The nutpunch curse made us get Pittsnoggled in '05. The Ish/Teague "he banged my gf" feud caused us to get Cleveland Steamered in '09.

yeah, me too. In fact, while looking for it I ended up re-watching the Cleveland St disaster, the epic win over Louisville in 1996 (how we defied Wake bad luck on that last put back I have no idea), and parts of the Kentucky blowout. All I could find was a postgame interview. Ish's other buzzer beaters are up there, though.

Who were they against?

pretty sure we've had one buzzer beater (for us) in 30+ years. and of course that led to CP3 being suspended for the ACCT, and then Cleveland State. several against us. we're due!

What about James Johnson's layup off the inbound pass from LD Williams to beat Duke? .8 left after the bucket.

Your wires are crossed. The nutpunch curse made us get Pittsnoggled in '05. The Ish/Teague "he banged my gf" feud caused us to get Cleveland Steamered in '09.

yes, of course, my deepest apologies. I try compartmentalize all this and sometimes I pull stuff out of the wrong file

Back