• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

March Madness Thread

I want to say that was the worst CG in recent memory, but that Butler/Uconn game in 2011 was atrocious.

Also, Raftery needs to retire. If I'd taken a drink every time he said the phrase "this kid", I would've died.

The announcing team sucks. I miss Billy Packer :eek:

Not sure how Grant Hill has suddenly become part of their number one team. He is so vanilla. I've always liked Clark Kellog as a color guy. And if they want a newer guy, I would personally rather hear Reggie Miller over Hill. At least he has some personality and is willing to stick his neck out a little bit.

Agreed. It hurts me to see him rave about garbage players like Justin Jackson.

Why do people love it when Raftery opens the broadcast saying a team comes out in mantoman like he's super constipated. You can sense Nantz is like alright say the line so I can get to the play-by-play.

jhmd is gonna be insufferable.

ru1d1x.gif

Why do people love it when Raftery opens the broadcast saying a team comes out in mantoman like he's super constipated. You can sense Nantz is like alright say the line so I can get to the play-by-play.

Yeah, Nantz and Raftery's chemistry sucks. I think you need someone who talks a little more than Nantz does with Raftery so he doesn't repeat the same "nickle-and-dimer" stuff ad nauseum. Gus and Lundquist are/were better partners for him because they talk more and are more high energy, which prevents Raftery from running the entire show.

And Hill is useless

I miss Billy Packer...dude knew basketball and teamed well with Nantz

Tell me some more about how well NBA games are officiated. Is it asking too much to be able to call a travel on these plays? The referees were looking straight at what was happening here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjM4z-M7gcA

And the college players seem to be quickly learning how to adapt to the NBA game. Check out Karnowski's moves early in the 2nd half last night:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...revolts/ar-BBziyJN?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

And people wonder why the game has gotten completely out of control and they can easily spot missed calls from the referees?

That's your example of the college game getting out of control? Karnowski's right foot (his pivot foot) stays essentially planted. Yeah, his right foot may have picked up a little bit at one point, but it's hard to say. Questionable calls like that always have been part of the game and always will be - go watch a video of Wilt at Kansas and you'll see missed goaltending and traveling calls.

The problem with reffing in college is not the missed questionable infractions like the one you point out, it's the inconsistency within and between games. There's no standardization at all. Whereas in the NBA it is called very consistently, which greatly improves the flow of the game. I assume you have watched a lot of NBA games in he past 5 years, which has allowed you to form an educated opinion on the subject, right?

That's your example of the college game getting out of control? Karnowski's right foot (his pivot foot) stays essentially planted. Yeah, his right foot may have picked up a little bit at one point, but it's hard to say. Questionable calls like that always have been part of the game and always will be - go watch a video of Wilt at Kansas and you'll see missed goaltending and traveling calls.

The problem with reffing in college is not the missed questionable infractions like the one you point out, it's the inconsistency within and between games. There's no standardization at all. Whereas in the NBA it is called very consistently, which greatly improves the flow of the game. I assume you have watched a lot of NBA games in he past 5 years, which has allowed you to form an educated opinion on the subject, right?

For the bolded - I disagree - it was worse than that. It was a pretty blatant walk.

Did you even watch that NBA link? It's only a little over 4 minutes long. All that stuff was total bullshit....not basketball. As I said, it may well be entertainment to you. I'm not debating that....but so is going to the circus or the zoo. And the NBA has more in common with a circus or the zoo than it does with the game of basketball.

Watch the damned video. If you think that shit is O.K., our conversation has nowhere else to go.

Also, trying to say that Karnowski didn't travel....and not just a tiny bit but ultra blatantly (not to mention that he bulled his way thru the lane throwing his shoulder into defenders while he was doing so)....shows that you have no desire to have an honest discussion about the rules of the game of basketball. Evidently, all you are interested in is being entertained and don't give a flying fuck about the rules of the game.

For the bolded - I disagree - it was worse than that. It was a pretty blatant walk.

I encourage you to watch it again. His right foot didn't move. That was my initial thought after clicking on the link provided by BKF, and after looking at it again, my initial impression is confirmed. In addition, after I just looked at it again I see that essentially all the replies to that tweet agree that his right foot didn't move.

Did you even watch that NBA link? It's only a little over 4 minutes long. All that stuff was total bullshit....not basketball. As I said, it may well be entertainment to you. I'm not debating that....but so is going to the circus or the zoo. And the NBA has more in common with a circus or the zoo than it does with the game of basketball.

Watch the damned video. If you think that shit is O.K., our conversation has nowhere else to go.

Also, trying to say that Karnowski didn't travel....and not just a tiny bit but ultra blatantly (not to mention that he bulled his way thru the lane throwing his shoulder into defenders while he was doing so)....shows that you have no desire to have an honest discussion about the rules of the game of basketball. Evidently, all you are interested in is being entertained and don't give a flying fuck about the rules of the game.

Your NBA link shows many missed traveling calls. It includes games dating back to at least 2006 (Iverson prime with 76ers), so around 15,000 games. Of course there are going to be missed traveling calls over the course of 15,000 games.

Not to mention that none of this addresses my point that NBA refs are much more consistent than those in college, which leads to a good product. I assume you have been watching NBA and college games and therefore have an educated opinion on a comparison between the two?

Last edited:

At this point in the tournament, Nantz is on Masters autopilot anyway.

Your NBA link shows many missed traveling calls. It includes games dating back to at least 2006 (Iverson prime with 76ers), so around 15,000 games. Of course there are going to be missed traveling calls over the course of 15,000 games.

Not to mention that none of this addresses my point that NBA refs are much more consistent than those in college, which leads to a good product. I assume you have been watching NBA and college games and therefore have an educated opinion on a comparison between the two?

Describing that simply as "missed traveling calls" doesn't do it justice. It was much more than that. This wasn't just an extra step taken here and there. It was an obvious total disregard for the rules...by the players and the referees. In some cases, the player took an extra 7,8 or more steps. The bottom line here is that we are not even talking about the same thing. You are talking about entertainment and I am talking about the game of basketball. You simply want to be entertained....and if the rules interfere with what you consider to be "good entertainment", you have no interest in having them enforced. You are not the least bit concerned about or have any interest in the integrity of the game. It's all about personal entertainment for you. Hardly surprising from your generation. You resent rules & authority anyway and are not used to being restricted very much by either of them....but as you travel through life you will find that this will change.

Finally, as I said, if you are going to continue to say that Karnowski didn't travel after watching that video multiple times, there is really no need for us to continue this discussion. If you would just focus on the last two seconds or so just before his shot you would see him constantly moving both of his feet at the same time to get to the other side of the basket. It was almost like he was doing a little dance.

Last edited:
It's all about personal entertainment for you. Hardly surprising from your generation. You resent rules & authority anyway and you are not used to being restricted very much by either of them....but as you travel through life you will find that this will change.

I had to check to make sure this wasn't from Boob. This post is strange. What in the world makes you think you know what generation I'm in? What makes you think I resent rules and authority? Your post is just odd.

Don't forget the blatant favoritism to the bigger programs and the effective tongue lashings that the college coaches are allowed to give the refs, which heavily influences the way most of the college refs call the game. The NBA refs have some stones and don't let that shit bother them. College guys, not so much.

NBA refs dont really have stones either. They bow down to the star players.

They each suck in their own way

Back