• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grading the season

I've tried to give the OP a pass for who knows how long but fucking Christ he's a miserable, fat, old, ugly, Jew-y, partner less, fatherless, friendless fuck who TAKES from the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried to give the OP a pass for who knows how long but fucking Christ he's a miserable, fat, old, ugly, Jew-y, partner less, fatherless, friendless fuck who TAKES from the table.

"Jew-y." WTF. This from some Breitbart article?

With A recruits you make A's
With B recruits you make B's
With C recruits you make C's
And so on
It's so fucking simple.

RC107, I realize you gave Manning a solid B for the season. How did you arrive at that score?

I actually would probably give him a B+ after thinking about it some more. Immediately following last season I was pretty bullish about this year's team. I thought last year's performance in the non-conference was more than a fluke and that the team was much better than its record indicated but simply collapsed mentally after the UVA game.

I expected us to have a similar season to 07-08, a team that shows promise, is in the bubble conversation for a bit, but ultimately is a year away and fades down the stretch. Something like 17-13 with a mid 50s KP.

We met those expectations (which at the end of last year were dismissed by many of you as pollyannish) and then some. Unlike the 07-08 team we didn't fade down the stretch and our advanced metric numbers were much better.

Only things keeping Manning from getting an A for the season are the record not quite living up to the KP rank and not making it to Thursday of the ACC tourney.

It's always nice to figure out who our resident bigots are.

RC107, I realize you gave Manning a solid B for the season. How did you arrive at that score?

Here's how I arrived at my A:

Last year we went 2-16 in a much weaker ACC. This year we went 9-9. That's a massive increase without adding any Top 100 players.

Experts across the country predicted we'd come in the 13th or below in the ACC and have little to no chance to make any post season play after the ACCT. We made The Dance.

We achieved our record against a Top 25 or so schedule.

With only one Top 100 player seeing significant minutes, Danny was able to craft a Top 10 rated offense.

Other than Tim, no Deac has improved year-over-year as much as JC did. Bryant was taught how to truly run a team and along with Frank Jackson will be in the Top 2 PGs in the ACC. Brandon's play improved greatly over the year. Even in his limited minutes, you can see Sam's improvement. Much of the board panned Dinos' play, but he changed his entire game this season. His positioning on the defensive boards allowed JC and our guards to get many unchallenged rebounds. All the above show very detailed and implemented coaching.

The elephant in the room is, "What about our D?" - A top level coach uses a system that best fits his team and gives them the best opportunity to win. A few of us noted before the season that there was no way for this group to be even an average defensive team and compete. If we tried, we could have easily gone back to JC's 1 foul/5 minutes and his numbers would have been much less as he would have been on the court for even fewer minutes. In an league dominated by excellent wings, we had no one to cover them. The results were inevitable.

Some will say, :"Why didn't we play more zone?"-to play a zone you need specific talents. One of which is good or better lateral quickness on the wings. We don't have that. Another thing is if don't you play it a lot, zones can create lay-up drills. Maybe most importantly, in an ACC with a lot of three point shooters, zones give up lots of threes.

Danny made a tough decision to try to outscore teams knowing he'd take a ration of shit for our defensive numbers. It worked. We won 19 games for the first time since 2009-10 and only the third time since 04-05.

When you get this much out of your talent, exceed all reasonable expectations, show great player improvement and have the best record your team has had in seven years, you deserve an A.

It will be harder to reach that grade next year.

Last edited:
Best year in 7 years but when you waste a first round NBA pick and one of the best offensive teams in school history you don't pass the test. Fail.

Best year in 7 years but when you waste a first round NBA pick and one of the best offensive teams in school history you don't pass the test. Fail.

In what bizarre world was this year a "waste". For the first in seven year we were relevant. For the first time in that period, how is being .500 in the ACC's strongest year top-to-bottom in decades a "waste"?

I'll take winning half our ACC games next year without Collins.

In what bizarre world was this year a "waste". For the first in seven year we were relevant. For the first time in that period, how is being .500 in the ACC's strongest year top-to-bottom in decades a "waste"?

A world in which you finish 10th in the conference. A world in which you have 3 total wins against the top 9 teams in your conference. A world in which you have one of your best scoring teams in school history. A world in which you have one of the best big men in the country.. A world in which you have no tournament wins. A world in which you allow an 11 seed who can't shoot to shoot 66% on you. By far our best team this decade but don't tell me we didn't waste it.

Last edited:
.500 in the best conference in the country is a good season. Rebuilding the program to make the NCAAT for the first time in almost a decade is in no way a "wasted" season. We outperformed out talent for the season. You are being preposterous and totally unrealistic. But this is common on this board.

.500 in the best conference in the country is a good season. Rebuilding the program to make the NCAAT for the first time in almost a decade is in no way a "wasted" season. We outperformed out talent for the season. You are being preposterous and totally unrealistic. But this is common on this board.

I disagree. This team had enough talent to beat Duke and Clemson at home, get a first round bye in the ACCT and avoid the ACC play in and avoid the NCAA play in.

The NCAA tournament is putting some doubt into your oft repeated claim that the ACC is the best conference in the country. FSU and UVA getting choked to death.

I disagree. This team had enough talent to beat Duke and Clemson at home, get a first round bye in the ACCT and avoid the ACC play in and avoid the NCAA play in.

That would have required a really bad defense instead of an almost non-existent defense.

The NCAA tournament is putting some doubt into your oft repeated claim that the ACC is the best conference in the country. FSU and UVA getting choked to death.
Miami lost by 20 points, too. Cuse lost at home in the NIT to Ole Miss. ACC looking pretty overrated right now.

This season definitely could've been better, but it was certainly not a waste.

To get entrenched on the recruiting map we need a season where we really outperform expectations and get national attention. Collins play this year put us so close but we couldn't finish the deal. Just a little more defense and we would have been there. That's why I consider it wasted.

We got a Top 35 recruit. We got there when no one thought we would. To say this year was wasted is typical put down Wake drivel.

If Crawford takes charge of next years team, like he should, Collins comes back, and Brown delivers, this year will be forgotten.

The season wasn't a waste but we wasted an opportunity to advance in the postseason with an All-American talent.

Back