• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins to test NBA, update: he has signed an agent, per Jeff Goodman

I think it is 50/50 at this point, but either way he would be a fool not to declare and test the waters. Hoping for a return, but if he gets lottery feedback would understand him going. Would personally feel he is making the wrong choice if he leaves after getting a 15-25 grade as I think it is very likely he is a top 10 pick next year if he stays. Whatever his decision I hope he becomes a mega star. He has done nothing but make me proud to be a Wake Forest Grad.

One of these collegiate PER's is not like the others

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Only two players are above 27 (in the NBA that's a top 5 guy, with Fultz at 28 in NBA that's Kawhi and Westbrook only)

John Collins is at 36. And its an exponential formula. No player in NBA history has come close to that, for example.

Last edited:
JC just checking things out.
Looking forward to him playing in black and gold again next season.

Spurs bound?????

SICCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!1!1!!

nba_san_antonio_spurs_144.jpg

I think it is 50/50 at this point, but either way he would be a fool not to declare and test the waters. Hoping for a return, but if he gets lottery feedback would understand him going. Would personally feel he is making the wrong choice if he leaves after getting a 15-25 grade as I think it is very likely he is a top 10 pick next year if he stays. Whatever his decision I hope he becomes a mega star. He has done nothing but make me proud to be a Wake Forest Grad.

Most of the recent mocks I've seen have him back in the 20-25 range, citing his defense among other things.

I still think he is 90% gone... Only has to convince one team to take a chance on him in whatever the desired range is. He has the skills/fundamentals... And with his age/size/athleticism and propensity to improve, you can probably make a safe bet that he'll get better on defense and fill some of the other holes in his game.

One of these collegiate PER's is not like the others

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Only two players are above 27 (in the NBA that's a top 5 guy, with Fultz at 28 in NBA that's Kawhi and Westbrook only)

John Collins is at 36. And its an exponential formula. No player in NBA history has come close to that, for example.

I just watched the film from that site of JC vs. Villanova. I can't think of a game from February on in which he played defense as well as he did in those clips.

Good luck to JC whatever he decides.

His defense regressed because he couldn't stay out of foul trouble. DM made a conscious decision to allow Collins to play soft defense in order to keep his offense on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His defense regressed because he couldn't stay out of foul trouble. DM made a conscious decision to allow Collins to play soft defense in order to keep his offense on the court.

That was extremely evident in the ACCT where VT exposed him with 12 mins to go and it cost us the game.

I've seen a lot of mocks that have JC 20-25 as well, a bit too close to 2nd round for my liking. I think he'd do better to spend another year bulking up and working on range and defense. Improve his stock and move into top 10. All depends on what he hears and whose advice he listens to. Either way, good luck JC!

The % gone/% staying predictions are comical given he has yet to participate in the combine or individual team workouts.

What if he blows up in the combine? What if his individual workouts are off the charts?

But what if his combine numbers are unimpressive? Or his individual workouts are just "meh"?

But no doubt it's a win-win move to declare and explore the process while keeping the door open for a return. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crawford take the same approach and send this board into a tizzy.

Yeah, the layup line in Littlejohn exposed that. I just am not sure that his fouls warranted the adjustment - in other words, I think Manning overreacted. He managed to play 31 minutes with 3 fouls against Nova.

At any rate, if the plan is to have him NOT play defense in order to keep his offense on the court, (and I absolutely 100% agree that seemed to be the plan), then we were by definition not executing the plan every time we came down the floor and jacked up a 3 without even trying to get the ball to JC.

The % gone/% staying predictions are comical given he has yet to participate in the combine or individual team workouts.

What if he blows up in the combine? What if his individual workouts are off the charts?

But what if his combine numbers are unimpressive? Or his individual workouts are just "meh"?

But no doubt it's a win-win move to declare and explore the process while keeping the door open for a return. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crawford take the same approach and send this board into a tizzy.

Tizzy? There's been plenty of talk that he might do it. It would be a smart move.

I used to buy the foul trouble explanation for Collins' defense. But there were several games down the stretch in which he had 1 or 2 fouls late and still played poor defense.

Tizzy? There's been plenty of talk that he might do it. It would be a smart move.

I used to buy the foul trouble explanation for Collins' defense. But there were several games down the stretch in which he had 1 or 2 fouls late and still played poor defense.

Yeah I think it's dubious at best to blame Collins' defensive woes on game planning. He's never had great defensive instincts or positioning and the effort down the stretch just wasn't there.

Fatigue is a likely culprit seeing as how his minutes went up down the stretch, he carried a huge offensive burden and was beat up on pretty much every offensive possession. But he also got pushed around down low by bigger 5's.

Whether it's here or on an NBA bench Collins either needs to develop a 3 point shot and some perimeter defensive skills to become a 3/4 or bulk up enough to guard NBA post players and be a 4/5

Most of the recent mocks I've seen have him back in the 20-25 range, citing his defense among other things.

I am not sure I buy this defense argument. He gets 6 fouls in the NBA and the refs are way different than in the ACC. He aggressive defense from earlier in the season will be more effective in the NBA.

just loaded up my spreadsheet
23.7% gone
42.2% stay
28.3% done with basketball
19.2% coaching next year

One danger of deciding not to play defense early in the game is that you forget how to play defense - it is not that easy to turns things on and off.

Back