• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

How dense are you? There were a lot more people beyond flyover country watching the Michigan-Ohio State game for it to be the highest rated game for the entire season.

You're missing the point. It's not that Ohio State-Michigan is only interesting to the midwest rubes. It's that the midwest rubes are so interested in the game that they're not going to ditch their way of being able to watch

Rubes everywhere. I remember tOSU being routed 31-0 in the only game they played last year against decent competition.

People aren't cancelling their cable because ESPN has a political angle. They're cancelling their cable because it isn't worth 1,800 a year to watch games.

People ARE watching less ESPN when they have it because their product is watered-down, and their more thoughtful reporters are being pushed aside by hottake artists and younger talent, which often is (perceived) to be left-leaning.

People aren't cancelling their cable because ESPN has a political angle. They're cancelling their cable because it isn't worth 1,800 a year to watch games.

People ARE watching less ESPN when they have it because their product is watered-down, and their more thoughtful reporters are being pushed aside by hottake artists and younger talent, which often is (perceived) to be left-leaning.

source on the bolded number?

He/She is not an "it" yet. Caitlyn/Bruce still has to cut off the family jewels to complete the process. Right now he/she is just "acting" for the cameras, but carrying out really well for the cause. As he/she said the other night with Tucker Carlson in a very good interview, the Olympic Committee has been way ahead of the curve on which is which on competition and has a great "pee test." That be itself has satisfied Jenner now for the last few years as to which side of the ledger people get to compete. But still, to call Jenner 2015's Most Courageous person for the ESPY's was a total joke! What a bunch of PC crap and no wonder ESPN is losing viewership.

Liking sport is not a partisan issue. I bet just as many left-leaning people like sport than right-leaning people in this country.

It is just such a terrible argument. And one that is only being done so they feel good about themselves for striking back at the "PC Police" when in reality it has nothing to do with the downturn in ESPNs fortunes.

ahem

source on the bolded number?

My cable bill is about $200.00 a month. About $50.00 of that is internet, and the other $150.00 is divided between cable and a home phone we no longer use. $150.00 * 12 = x

I'm confused- people who are bothered by the alleged leftist bias from ESPN, are they giving up television entirely by unsubscribing from cable TV? Cuz they're not the ones who are switching to ala carte streaming services.

I'm confused- people who are bothered by the alleged leftist bias from ESPN, are they giving up television entirely by unsubscribing from cable TV? Cuz they're not the ones who are switching to ala carte streaming services.

ESPN has been cost-cutting for years, replacing experienced, thoughtful talent with cheaper, younger, more mouth-breath-y programming like Stugotz and 1st (mis)Take. That younger, cheaper, less thoughtful personalities are liberal is just a coincidence I'm sure.

I'm open to the idea that ESPN might be mismanaging it's talent, but all the #hottake shows on ESPN get the best ratings. PTI, ATH, Highly Questionable, and First Take are the most highly rated shows. News-ier programs like NBA The Jump, Baseball Tonight and all the NFL studio shows do worse.

Oh since I know this is a hot topic on the board, SC6 with Michael and Jemelle is doing well.

A lot of this comes down to "the thing I find personally annoying about ESPN is why it's stuggling!"

Last edited:
I wonder if Tom Mees would have been fired yesterday if he was still around.

So how would you prefer a sports network cover the first openly gay athlete in the NFL draft or one of the greatest male athletes of all time transition to a woman?

Apparently, not at all. I like how the simple fact of covering it makes it #liberalmedia.

reminder of the GOAT tweet

ESPN thrives on talking points, about one per year that takes more than a few days is sharply political. The rest of the time, its some shitty team's QB controversy or a free agents destination. You can even notice this in their coverage of live sports-they spend less time talking about whats happening on the field and more time trying to fit it in with whatever talking points they set up for that game.

This is weird to me because they act like they are trying to compete with Facebook and twitter-they even spend a large amount of time reading tweets on Sportscenter. This is the stuff that I can find anywhere without trying. Doesn't seem like they really need that many personalities offering hottakes when any rando twitter user can come up with the same thing. I can find highlights too, but that requires more searching. I'd rather they stick to those.

why does it get people so riled up for others to blame liberal bias on ESPN's steep decline, especially when you guys also tend to say you don't watch much ESPN? I can't imagine getting hot and bothered if people were saying the reverse was true and that ESPN was failing because it is conservative. who cares if people think that?

You're missing the point. It's not that Ohio State-Michigan is only interesting to the midwest rubes. It's that the midwest rubes are so interested in the game that they're not going to ditch their way of being able to watch

Is there evidence that everyone but midwestern rubes are cancelling their cable subscriptions?

Back