• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Firing 100 People Today

Not really. As tone deaf as ESPN is, they're merely firing whomever they perceive as excess baggage to their existing operation. The postulate of their leftist bias is unaffected by whom they terminate; it only needs to account for the lower ratings/revenue due to the alleged cause.

If you think that today is happening because it's a referendum on the "liberal media bias" then I have no idea what to tell you.

Today is here because of what DF07 said: technology is shifting and the older models simply aren't working.

While we're fixing ESPN, can someone fix their website? There's way too much scrolling that you need to do, particularly on the playoff pages.

If you think that today is happening because it's a referendum on the "liberal media bias" then I have no idea what to tell you.

Today is here because of what DF07 said: technology is shifting and the older models simply aren't working.

So, you think constantly covering Kaepernick's actions and other spinoffs from it (and doing so in an almost totally positive way) does not constitute leftwing political reporting disguised as sports reporting?

While we're fixing ESPN, can someone fix their website? There's way too much scrolling that you need to do, particularly on the playoff pages.

Please bring back, Keith olberman so you can then fire his ass

So, you think constantly covering Kaepernick's actions and other spinoffs from it (and doing so in an almost totally positive way) does not constitute leftwing political reporting disguised as sports reporting?

We must have been watching a completely different ESPN. They had athletes, former athletes, and commentators alike on there saying that they disagreed with what he was doing/how he was doing it/what he stood for. They also had people on there who agreed with what he was doing. They reported on a social/political event that was taking place in the realm of sports (and the biggest sport in the USA in that in the NFL).

I got tired of watching the coverage, but not because it was "left wing political reporting disguised as sports reporting", but because I just didn't care after the first week.

(1) That wasn't your argument, which was bolstered by the COMMENTS SECTION FROM A FUCKING WEBSITE, which is basically the lowest form of human life that exists; and
(2) If you are too scared and fragile to handle news coverage that differs from whatever side of the political spectrum you have chosen to follow that day, maybe you should just retreat away from the media altogether.

I understand that you have such little anchor in your beliefs that they can be swayed by anonymous posters on a message board (the fact that you cite jhmd, who is a parody created by Say Hey, as a factor in your conversion from liberal to nut-job conservative is both hysterical and sad at the same time), but most grown ass men can actually handle listening to folks who disagree with them, at least for a little while.

Fox News/hardcore-right-wing-media viewers have gotten used to having their own ideas (or more extreme ones on that side of things) repeated back at them. When they come across a view that is at all different from their own on a neutral platform, this is the reaction that we see

I wonder what the cost to produce a 30 for 30 is. Lots of travel, logistics, editing. By contrast, an annual contract to Stephen A and producing his show is probably pretty easy.

Good question. The logistics for replaying any of the 60+ docs they have now is a computer that can press play.

What makes me laugh about conservatives bitching about coverage of Kaep's free agency is that they'd be all for raging OWGs on ESPN talking about how much he hates America.

I truly don't believe that the on-air stuff with Kaepernick was "liberal media bias". I think they ran the damn thing into the ground over several months, but they covered almost every single angle of it from both viewpoints quite consistently in my opinion.

Good question. The logistics for replaying any of the 60+ docs they have now is a computer that can press play.

What makes me laugh about conservatives bitching about coverage of Kaep's free agency is that they'd be all for raging OWGs on ESPN talking about how much he hates America.

BUT ESPN FIRED CURT SCHILLING! DOUBLE STANDARD HOW THEY KEEP THAT BOMANI JONES ON THERE!!!

Why do you do this? You understand the issue is more complex than can be dismissed in a one liner.

You can only replay 30for30's so many times. The network still has to remain fresh. My point is how often they will put out new 30for30 content. But to the poster was right on who said keeping the bloviating commentators is the equivalent of keeping reality TV. Cheap to produce, fills air time.

Or re-runs of their award winning 30 for 30 documentaries.

What I don't get is why they don't have more reruns of events from the archives? Same goes for Golf Channel.

Fox News/hardcore-right-wing-media viewers have gotten used to having their own ideas (or more extreme ones on that side of things) repeated back at them. When they come across a view that is at all different from their own on a neutral platform, this is the reaction that we see

And sometimes the nation's reaction is the election of Donald Trump as President of the United States.

If they're covering Tim Tebow at all anymore, you can't claim liberal bias

Care to show some ratings to suggest that's the case? Subscribers are dropping cable altogether as they don't really have a la carte options. As far as I know, ESPN hasn't seen a dip in commercial revenue. They've lost subscribers with cord cutters and they have astronomical costs for content because of bidding wars with the new networks. They bet on live sports as a model. It was the right bet. They had to push more in to win than they planned. They pay more money for one MNF game a week than the other 3 networks for everything else for example. This layoff is part of the evolution of TV. Live sports is about the most marketable television commodity there is. Everything else consumers are willing to wait to pay the price they want.

ESPN is doing the smart thing by paring down to focus mostly on live sports. Leave the analysis and content to the multitudes of bloggers and podcasts out there.

Overall cable subscriptions are down while live rights fees are going up. The only job the Kaepernick media storm took away was Kaepernick's himself. ESPN needs to figure out a Live Event subscription plan like Netflix or something.

No, this fits his narrative, so it must be why.

The liberal ESPN media is causing hundreds of people to lose their jobs, not the change in a subscription system with cable/internet/etc.

Back