• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

A really enjoyable night! First, Bob Knight helps Trump wrap up the nomination in Indiana. Then a huge night for my fantasy teams.....bronze teams moving up to 1-3-1; silver team moving up to 3; and bronze teams moving up to 20/675 overall. That would be a $1,090 payout.

A really enjoyable night! First, Bob Knight helps Trump wrap up the nomination in Indiana. Then a huge night for my fantasy teams.....bronze teams moving up to 1-3-1; silver team moving up to 3; and bronze teams moving up to 20/675 overall. That would be a $1,090 payout.

I have had 2 really bad days in a row. I am 2-27 so far tonight!

Things continue to look better & better. Up to 1-3-1-2 & 16/675 overall now....which would be a $1,440 payout if the season ended that way. That last league (silver) is the key, because 1st place is $2,300, 2nd place is $1,000 & 3rd place is $650....down thru 7th place, which is $100. I'm within 35 points of 1st there now, after being 109 points behind when the week began. That one spot would boost the total payout to $2,740...so things are beginning to look more like 2014 again. 1st place overall in the bronze leagues is $3,000...but it drops off pretty quickly, so you really have to be in the top 5 or so to get a meaningful payout. For example, 11th thru 25th is only $30. However, since all three teams only cost $80 and they are paying $3,000 for 1st place overall plus league prizes & top 50 overall prizes, that is understandable.

I've decided that Steven Matz is a much better option for a cheap SP than Patrick Corbin. You can't guess all of them right before the season begins. Matz has two starts next week, so if a person was going to get him, that's probably as good a time as any...especially in the points league. One of the starts is at Colorado, but if the Mets can win it won't matter if Matz gives up some runs. Also think I have to pick up Arietta the next time he has two starts. Overall, though, my roster is looking pretty solid, I think. Realmuto is beginning to come around for a cheap catcher, which isn't an important position, anyway. Conforto & Piscotty have turned out to be good choices for cheap outfielders. Story was a steal & Odor is starting to heat up. Don't have Altuve, who has been crazy good so far....in the power department, especially (which blows my mind), but he is just too expensive and you can't get the top guy at every position.

1 Bob Knight Fan 381.3 3054.7
2 Twister2 280.3 2968.7
3 HairyBacks 319.7 2951.3
4 H to the Rizzo 369.3 2948.7
5 roys 334 2942.3

1 BOYDS BOMBERS 423.3 3127.3
2 CMmmc5 330.7 3060.7
3 Bob Knight Fan 381.3 3054.7
4 Shot in the Dark 267.7 2972
5 Tena's Yankees 269.7 2957.7

1 Bob Knight Fan 381.3 3054.7
2 Pitch Black 403.7 3031.3
3 PWW: Jacobim Mugatu 396.7 2993.3
4 HairyBacks2 319.7 2951.3
5 Shep Dogs 341.3 2936

SILVER
1 surewhynot 307.3 3089.7
2 Bob Knight Fan 381.3 3054.7
3 Underdog 346 3042.7
4 Throneberry Fields Forever 376.7 3019.3
5 I'm your Huckleberry 289.3 3002

ETA: The more I think about it, I may hold off on Matz. Both of his games are on the road (Dodgers & Rockies), and while it doesn't matter if he gives up runs, he does need to get wins....since a win is 10 points. If a guy pitches 6 shutout innings with 6 strikeouts but doesn't get the win, it's just 12 points. On the other hand, if he pitches 7 innings & gets only 4 strikeouts...but wins the game 7-5, he gets 21 points. The Mets may be the underdog in both of those games. Also, I already have 4 of my 6 SPs getting two starts next week...and only 5 of the top 50 teams now have Matz...so it's not like it's urgent that I make that move right now.

I do think that teams will starting picking him up, though, so I need to plan on getting him at some point.

Last edited:
Damn! 13 points for a back-door save by Rondon....and both of the teams I am battling for the silver league lead have him.

That Ramos HR in the 8th killed me.

On the bright side the Cubs have won a lot of games by above the save margin so Rondon has a lot fewer save than he could have.

On the bright side the Cubs have won a lot of games by above the save margin so Rondon has a lot fewer save than he could have.

True....and they should have won that one by more. They were leading 8-2 going to the 8th.

The Cubs have a hell of a team this year. The White Sox are off to a good start as well. Things would be crazy in the Windy City if those two teams ended up in the World Series. Not sure the White Sox can go the distance, but the Cubs have all the pieces to do it this year. I've thought about picking up Fowler. He's having a fantastic year for any fantasy owners who have him....and he's priced modestly, somewhere around Betts & Springer....not cheap, but not terribly expensive. I already have Rizzo, Bryant & Lester...and I'm going to pick up Arrieta the next time he has a 2-start week. Thought about Rondon before the season began because I thought the Cubs were going to win a lot of games, but he had kind of a shaky spring so I finally looked elsewhere.

My team lost 13 points in hitting yesterday while batting over .300. Whole lot of empty numbers. Machado had more rbi's than my team!

Holy shit, my team lost 16.5 points in hitting alone yesterday and my guys collectively hit .353. 2 homers, 5 RBI and 2 steals. I guess not having Machado yesterday was huge. Terrible ending to my week with me gaining points every day except for yesterday. I hope that means these points will be easy to earn back next week. I can't be mad at my team who hit for those numbers yesterday. I need a good cheap pitcher (SP or RP) to use a purchase on to help me get all my good bats in next week

Holy shit, my team lost 16.5 points in hitting alone yesterday and my guys collectively hit .353. 2 homers, 5 RBI and 2 steals. I guess not having Machado yesterday was huge. Terrible ending to my week with me gaining points every day except for yesterday. I hope that means these points will be easy to earn back next week. I can't be mad at my team who hit for those numbers yesterday. I need a good cheap pitcher (SP or RP) to use a purchase on to help me get all my good bats in next week

As I've said, picking Bryant instead of Machado was probably one of my biggest mistakes. However, Bryant is beginning to hit lately and Machado has to cool off at least a little bit sometime.... and since I also have Arenado & Donaldson, I don't see any reason to try to get Machado now.

I picked up Matz & Ross this week. Both are very cheap and both have two starts this week. I also think both of those guys would be good in roto, because they have excellent ERA & WHIP numbers. Both of Matz' games are on the road (including Colorado), but both of Ross' games are at home. And both of them are probably not well-owned...especially Ross, who should also be the cheapest.

Last edited:
My theory on the use of purchases.

I don't think you should use too many purchases in April, because you run the danger of getting "flash in the pans". However, I don't think it is wise to hoard a ton of purchases until August, either. As we approach mid-May, the season is 20% over and we should have a good idea by now of which players we want to have at each position. There is no reason to just keep switching players around in the 2nd half of the season....and since we should have every position backed up by now, the only really important reason to have purchases in the last half of the season is to protect against injuries. And if we have every position backed up with a capable player, the only problem you are going to have with injuries is if you have two players from the same position injured at the same time. The trade off is how often is that going to happen vs. what do we gain by upgrading our roster after 20% of the season, rather than after 50% of the season?

With that in mind, I think that going into August with 4 purchases left is quite adequate for injury protection. That means you can make significant upgrades after 20%-25% of the season has been played...with a reasonable degree of confidence.... before you get too far behind in areas that need to be reevaluated for initial roster mistakes. Doing that in April means you might just be repeating the same mistakes with different players. Waiting another month or six weeks until mid-July means you have lost valuable time & position by not having those upgraded players until the season is half over.

That has been my strategy, anyway, and it seems to have worked fairly well, for the most part.

Another damned back-door save for Rondon made possible by another 4-run 8th inning with a huge lead. That's twice in 5 days. Don't the Cubs have any middle relievers?

It's almost uncanny how my 4 teams have been almost "running in place" during May & June. I don't have much experience in the points league to make comparisons with prior years...so the only conclusion I can make is that because the points leagues only have a steady accumulation of positive points and do not use those three average categories (ERA, WHIP & BA) which can go both up and down, that the standings will tend to stabilize much earlier in the season than they do in roto league scoring. If so, that would seem to suggest that it is even more important to quickly correct initial roster mistakes in the points leagues than it might be in the roto leagues.

24-May --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 15/675 --- 3 ---- $1,090
25-May --- 1 --- 4 --- 1 --- 21/675 --- 3 ---- $1,070
26-May --- 1 --- 4 --- 1 --- 16/675 --- 3 ---- $1,070
27-May --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 15/675 --- 3 ---- $1,090
28-May --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 19/675 --- 4 ---- $890
29-May --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 15/675 --- 2 ---- $1,440
30-May --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 19/675 --- 4 ---- $890
31-May --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 19/675 --- 4 ---- $890
01-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 20/675 --- 4 ---- $890
02-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 23/675 --- 5 ---- $740
03-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 23/675 --- 5 ---- $740
04-June --- 1 --- 5 --- 1 --- 29/675 --- 5 ---- $660
05-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 19/675 --- 4 ---- $890
06-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 13/675 --- 3 ---- $1,090
07-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 13/675 --- 3 ---- $1,090
08-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 14/675 --- 3 ---- $1,090
09-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 17/675 --- 4 ---- $890
10-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 18/675 --- 4 ---- $890
11-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 14/675 --- 3 ---- $1,090
12-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 13/675 --- 3 ---- $1,090
13-June --- 1 --- 4 --- 1 --- 15/675 --- 3 --- 17 ----- $1,070
14-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 18/675 --- 4 --- 21 ----- $890
15-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 15/675 --- 3 --- 24 ----- $1,090
16-June --- 1 --- 3 --- 1 --- 15/675 --- 3 --- 23 ----- $1,090

Last edited:
My teams have been in a free-fall this week. Dropping double digits more than once this week. I have already made 3 moves and may not be done yet. My opening day roster was not very good.

Dropped Sonny Gray for Danny Salazar
Dropped Delino DeShields for Jackie Bradley Jr.
Dropped Andrew Miller for Jeanmar Gómez

Odor will be suspended for a while - not sure when that will be announced/take effect since he will likely appeal, but I would expect a suspension to be at least 5 games.

Odor will be suspended for a while - not sure when that will be announced/take effect since he will likely appeal, but I would expect a suspension to be at least 5 games.

I think they both will be suspended. With more games for Odor. You can't just hit someone in the face, but he sure deserved what he got. He was trying to injure Odor. Amazing he got out of the way in time.

Well the slide was definitely illegal. He went a couple feet past the bag and a DP was called by the umpires IIRC.

Well, now that the season is 25% complete, I thought it would be a good time to take a look at the "sleepers" & "flops" so far this year to see what kind of job we did with our initial rosters. This is completely subjective, of course, but here are my nominations for the "All-Sleeper Team" & the "All-Flop Team" so far this year:

All-Sleeper Team

SP - Vince Velasquez
CL - Jennmar Gomez
C - Wellington Castillo
1B - Travis Shaw
2B - Daniel Murphy
3B - Nick Castellanos
SS - Trevor Story
OF - Jackie Bradley, Jr
OF - Stephen Piscotty
OF - Odubel Herrera

All-Flop Team

SP - Sonny Gray (Matt Harvey would fit here, too)
CL - Ken Giles
C - Russell Martin
1B - Prince Fielder
2B - Dee Gordon
3B - Pablo Sandoval
SS - Erick Aybar
OF - Carlos Gomez
OF - Ben Revere
OF - Michael Brantley

Note: Not surprising that 3 of the 10 on the All-Sleeper team come from the Phillies, considering what that team has accomplished so far this year.

Piscotty was the only sleeper from this list that I had initially. Although, I think Conforto belongs on that list. I did add
Velasquez/Story very early. I also added Bradley last week. Philly has another young, cheap pitcher that belongs on that sleeper list. Can't think of his name right now.

Both Giles and Miller were terrible closer picks for me. (didn't do my homework) I added Gomez when Chapman came back from his suspension. I dropped Gray this week even though it won't surprise me if he turns it around at some point. Still have Harvey and have read a couple writers/scouts opinions of him this mourning. One scout said he is simply out of shape and is unable to hide his pitches. Others think he is like Straus was last year in not being removed long enough from TJ. Harvey has requested being moved up a day next week to get 2 starts. I hope that doesn't happen at my expense. Probably wouldn't start him anyway since I have a very nice pitching lineup for next week.

I have these pitchers with 2 starts:

Hamels
Kershaw
Sale
Strasburg
Velasquez

Scherzer with 1 start

7 home starts with 4 on the road.

Back