• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

jaybone, "next year you can pencil in 20 wins"

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
So anyway, I sure had balls making all those bets when people were predicting 5-8 wins for the season.

Next year, you can pencil in 20 wins. Starters: Tony, CJ, McKie, Thomas, and Desrosiers with 15+ minutes from CMM, Fischer, and Roundtree and contribution minutes from Green, Cavanaugh, and Moto.
http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?6402-Jaybone-Wake-Bball-bets-6-0-1&p=488411&viewfull=1#post488411
If le bone is right once again (he did go 6-0-1 on his bets), do you think that will be good enough to get us into the tourney?

Any doubters out there? Anyone willing to bet jaybone on this? :D

Last edited:
20 wins would not be good enough for the NCAA with what we know about the schedule at this point (a straggler Big Ten team, Seton Hall, and Richmond). Might not even be enough for the NIT.

No. Not enough for tourney.

I suspect 17 or 18 wins is more likely though.
Would 17 or 18 get us into the NIT? I know we're probably gonna have a weak out of conference schedule once again but it's the NIT.

Would 17 or 18 get us into the NIT? I know we're probably gonna have a weak out of conference schedule once again but it's the NIT.

My guess is we'd have to have a minimum of 19 wins for the NIT and some of those would have to be impressive. Take about 22-23 for an NCAA bid which isn't going to happen.

Wow.
Winning 27 games and the Colonial Athletic Association regular-season championship was not enough to help the Drexel Dragons make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1996.

The Dragons won 19 straight games. They are a sparkling 13-0 at home.

None of those numbers impressed the tournament selection committee, though. As a result, the Dragons are, perhaps, the most notable omission in the 68-team field...
Win their way in, and the Dragons wouldn’t have to face criticism for their lowly RPI (in the 60s) or weak strength of schedule number (220s).

Don't bet against Jaybone when others are making ridiculous bets. When Kenpom is predicting 12 wins, don't settle at 11.5.

Don't bet against Jaybone when others are making ridiculous bets. When Kenpom is predicting 12 wins, don't settle at 11.5.

Right. Unless he says 25 wins I won't bet him (I believe in a big cushion).

This wasn't jaybone being particularly astute; it was other people being ridiculous and overreacting to our own badness while ignoring that we would have a very favorable schedule in a very weak ACC.

There were plenty of people besides jaybone who were expecting 11+ wins.

People also overrated JTT based on the whole "buying into the system" BS at the end of the year. They figured we couldn't be 4+ games better without JTT. In reality, he wasn't that good. It wasn't addition by subtraction. It was subtracting 0 from 0.

If those 20 wins includes wins over dook, UNC and anyone else at the top of the ACC it becomes a potential ACC resume. But if you only beat up on the bottom and middle of the conference probably not unless the OOC schedule is strong enough.

if the ACC continues its trend of being craptastic, then 30 wins is not out of the question....except that we don't have that many games.

and that's the problem. 17-18 wins would probably keep Buzz his job, but it means jack and shit in this sorry conference. I can't believe how bad the ACC is these days. Or the entire CBB universe for that matter.

WVU got in with 19-13
UConn got in with 20-13
Xavier got in at 21-12 from a mid-major

Suggesting that Moto gets nothing more than "Contribution" minutes to me just sounds ridiculous to me. And Tony over CMM? Are you expecting Tony to all of a sudden be able to see the entire court?

le Bone is wrong about the lineup in my opinion (AT LEAST by the end of the season), and I don't think we'll break 19 wins. No tourney either way. 17 is closer, and is optimistic.

People on the boards continue to underrate the ACC, underestimate how long it takes to get back to respectability when you're a terrible team, and shockingly enough STILL don't believe that Wake is as bad as we really are. Wake would require a massive improvement job simply to be in a discussion for a bubble spot in the NIT.

Wake has no prayer at 20 wins next year unless the non-con SOS is bottom 30 in the nation.

With a weak sos it prob is not enough. 20 wins is enough for ronnie and bzz to declare us a bubble team that should have gotten in (regardless of actual resume)

Back