• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time

rollling stone starts fights across the planet with Sir Paul in the #2 slot above Lennon.

Taylor Swift? Are you kidding me?

"Which songwriter just jumped past Mariah Carey’s famous Beatle-nipping number three slot on Billboard’s all-time list of number one hit makers? And scooped up ASCAP’s Songwriter of the Year a fourth year in a row— for a lifetime tally of seven—based on a glittering necklace of Pop power-girl anthems including: “Raise Your Glass,” “Last Friday Night,” “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” and “Teenage Dream”?

Pink? Katy Perry? Taylor Swift? The force that inspires defiant videos and top-of-their-lungs screeching tweens is, in fact, a media-shy 43-year old Swedish… man.

Martin has written more than 50 top ten hits worldwide, including sales of over 135 million singles, but unlike other top sellers, very few people except those in the industry, or who scrutinize liner notes, know his name.

The stars who sing his songs are not in the songwriting record books—he is—although they retain credit on the songs."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...et-music-man-max-martin-elusive-hitmaker.html

"Which songwriter just jumped past Mariah Carey’s famous Beatle-nipping number three slot on Billboard’s all-time list of number one hit makers? And scooped up ASCAP’s Songwriter of the Year a fourth year in a row— for a lifetime tally of seven—based on a glittering necklace of Pop power-girl anthems including: “Raise Your Glass,” “Last Friday Night,” “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” and “Teenage Dream”?

Pink? Katy Perry? Taylor Swift? The force that inspires defiant videos and top-of-their-lungs screeching tweens is, in fact, a media-shy 43-year old Swedish… man.

Martin has written more than 50 top ten hits worldwide, including sales of over 135 million singles, but unlike other top sellers, very few people except those in the industry, or who scrutinize liner notes, know his name.

The stars who sing his songs are not in the songwriting record books—he is—although they retain credit on the songs."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...et-music-man-max-martin-elusive-hitmaker.html

He's ranked #41.

rollling stone starts fights across the planet with Sir Paul in the #2 slot above Lennon.

Paul should be ranked higher, at least if they're going to separate them. He was a far superior melodic songwriter (basically untouchable in that regard).

In defense of Taylor Swift (I can't believe I actually said that), I'm pretty sure that she wrote all of the early country songs that enabled her to enter the pop world herself.

You could argue about the ordering I suppose but the top 50 is actually a pretty good list. I was glad to see John Fogerty, Lou Reed, Springsteen, etc. included. One guy who is definitely missing from the top 100 is Beck. It also would have been nice to see some consideration for non-mainstream folks like Thurston Moore or Elliot Smith, but I guess when you are using number of top 40 hits as an evaluation metric it is hard to justify including those types.

Jackson Browne was a great songwriter

Not on there? Elvis Costello at #24 is interesting as is Bob Marley at #11 (1 spot ahead of Brian Wilson). Like them both a lot, but I would have guessed they would be lower (i.e., further from #1).

Last edited:
Not on there? Elvis Costello at #24 is interesting as is Bob Marley at #11 (1 spot ahead of Brian Wilson). Like them both a lot, but I would have guessed they would be lower.

He's on there...somewhere in 40s as I recall.

I can't really judge the list until townie posts one of his songs about the trials and tribulations of the bony armed millennial

Back