• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2 more years

I fear [Redacted] may stay for a different reason. While I fully support the entire Bzzout movement and every single article or tweet that garners national attention, it worries me that the publicity may negatively impact its exact purpose. Ron Wellman has a massive ego and a tremendous "I'm the smartest guy in the room" complex. Part of me is extremely concerned that because of this he will double down on [Redacted] in an "I'll show you" and "we do things differently at Wake" move.

The real tragedy for the rank and file Wake alumni and supporters is that they don't have a President or any powerful/weathly BOT members that care enough to stop him. The damage that is being done not only to the flagship athletic program, but also the trickle down effect which definitely impacts the school as a whole in a financial, prestige, and ultimately quality of applicant/student manner for years and years to come.

I fear [Redacted] may stay for a different reason. While I fully support the entire Bzzout movement and every single article or tweet that garners national attention, it worries me that the publicity may negatively impact its exact purpose. Ron Wellman has a massive ego and a tremendous "I'm the smartest guy in the room" complex. Part of me is extremely concerned that because of this he will double down on [Redacted] in an "I'll show you" and "we do things differently at Wake" move.

The real tragedy for the rank and file Wake alumni and supporters is that they don't have a President or any powerful/weathly BOT members that care enough to stop him. The damage that is being done not only to the flagship athletic program, but also the trickle down effect which definitely impacts the school as a whole in a financial, prestige, and ultimately quality of applicant/student manner for years and years to come.

One of [Redacted]'s major problems is that he seems to be entirely tone deaf to his audience. (Watch his rehearsed answers at press conferences, if you doubt me.) That is one of the reasons that he is such a poor communicator. Coupled with his know-it-all arrogance, his inablity to comprehend his audience makes it almost impossible for him to understand that practically no one - not his wife, his daughter, Wellman, or much of anybody else in the Wake community - wants him to stay.

Why do people start threads with titles like "2 more years"? Are you trying to get views? Because my first reaction is that a contract extension has been announced. Then I have to click through and realize that it is nothing of the sort. Can you not come up with a clearer title?

Do not confuse athletic department spin with relevant information.

I believe culture change was more about Dino than the players. There were concerns about how Dino was suddenly getting top talent.

If part of the issues leading to the firing of Dino were his "culture," then Wellman is not at liberty to discuss the facts. This is why Wellman's culture argument and his winning later in the year argument make no sense. It is poorly constructed spin.

It would not make sense to hire Buzz unless the termination of Dino was somewhat sudden or unexpected. This is why we were unprepared to bring in top coaching talent and acted quickly with the emergency plan. We should have waited and found the best candidate, but Wellman's ego and impatience got in the way.

Firing Buzz means admitting a mistake, which is not Wellman's best thing.

Wellman will fire Buzz when is is necessary, not when it is prudent. Maybe the increased pressure will affect this. Carry on.....

This is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. We weren't getting anymore talent with Dino as our head coach than we did when he was Skip's assistant (in fact, we we were getting less) and really weren't getting much more than we have under [Redacted] (ignoring the Buzz's 2011 class anyway). This kind of accusation is so absurd that you shouldn't even imply it.

As far as 2 more years or not for [Redacted], all you have to do is look at the pace of improvement. I don't think anyone would argue that we haven't improved year to year, but we haven't improved very quickly if you start thinking about SOS. Look forward two years, where do people think we will be? I think we will be in the tournament, but we won't be contenders within the ACC, much less nationally. And that's going to be close to the peak of [Redacted]'s time at Wake (because, let's be honest here, I bet he retires when the class of 2012 graduates..at least if it's still 7-8 players at that point).

This is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. We weren't getting anymore talent with Dino as our head coach than we did when he was Skip's assistant (in fact, we we were getting less) and really weren't getting much more than we have under [Redacted] (ignoring the Buzz's 2011 class anyway). This kind of accusation is so absurd that you shouldn't even imply it.

As far as 2 more years or not for [Redacted], all you have to do is look at the pace of improvement. I don't think anyone would argue that we haven't improved year to year, but we haven't improved very quickly if you start thinking about SOS. Look forward two years, where do people think we will be? I think we will be in the tournament, but we won't be contenders within the ACC, much less nationally. And that's going to be close to the peak of [Redacted]'s time at Wake (because, let's be honest here, I bet he retires when the class of 2012 graduates..at least if it's still 7-8 players at that point).

If Ron Wellman fired a coach because or partly because he was bringing in top talent (debatable at best) and there was no real evidence that he was doing anything wrong, than Ron Wellman is a moron.

If you look at recruiting over four year periods, it was pretty consistent from Odom through Dino. Peaks and valleys. Even Mitchell is on schedule if you look at our recruiting trends.

If you look at recruiting over four year periods, it was pretty consistent from Odom through Dino. Peaks and valleys. Even Mitchell is on schedule if you look at our recruiting trends.

Yeah, I call BS over the "there were concerns that Dino was suddenly getting top talent."

I also think people do not appreciate how high up Wellman's list [Redacted] was. I don't think the Dino decision was made rashly, and I think Wellman was probably fairly pleased with the hire he made. Not as pleased as if it had been Alford or Stevens, but pleased nonetheless.

I also think people do not appreciate how high up Wellman's list [Redacted] was. I don't think the Dino decision was made rashly, and I think Wellman was probably fairly pleased with the hire he made. Not as pleased as if it had been Alford or Stevens, but pleased nonetheless.

I've never heard any real evidence that [Redacted] wasn't his guy from the start. Sure, he may have made a token call to somebody else, but in my mind I think he fired Dino with hiring [Redacted] in mind.

Agreed. I also think they were at least acquaintances since Northwestern or sparked up a good friendship in the years before the hire.

Agreed. I also think they were at least acquaintances since Northwestern or sparked up a good friendship in the years before the hire.

I don't doubt that a bit. I can't imagine Wellman even taking a look at [Redacted] as a possible hire without that being the case.

I think he was probably top 5 on the list. I have heard nothing to convince me otherwise. Add up all the names we've heard (Tubby, Stevens, Alford, Bo Ryan, Brownell) and the lowest [Redacted] could have been is #6 (and obviously at least some of those names don't belong on the list).

I think he was probably top 5 on the list. I have heard nothing to convince me otherwise. Add up all the names we've heard (Tubby, Stevens, Alford, Bo Ryan, Brownell) and the lowest [Redacted] could have been is #6 (and obviously at least some of those names don't belong on the list).

Yeah, but if he was really the only one that there was more than a snowball's chance of coming here, he might as well as have been #1 on the list.

Yeah, but if he was really the only one that there was more than a snowball's chance of coming here, he might as well as have been #1 on the list.

Brownell obviously would have come, and Tubby probably would have with the right $$.

The Bo Ryan thing was just weird. He's obviously a fantastic coach who relies mainly on a very strong system and four year players (so he fits the supposed mold Wellman was looking to fill), but I don't know how you could possibly think he would leave Wisconsin at age 62 for Wake.

There is no way to get the Bz train back on the track. Wellman needs to accept that fact and plan a smart transition to a better coach.

Brownell obviously would have come, and Tubby probably would have with the right $$.

The Bo Ryan thing was just weird. He's obviously a fantastic coach who relies mainly on a very strong system and four year players (so he fits the supposed mold Wellman was looking to fill), but I don't know how you could possibly think he would leave Wisconsin at age 62 for Wake.

I think Wellman may have had a list, but I think only one name was highlighted.

I can't help but think that there was someone out there who could have restored culture while not getting thumped by Iona.

I can only point out that the recruiting concerns were mentioned to me before Dino's last season. If you do not want to believe this, that is ok with me.

Some of you follow recruiting closer than I do, much closer. However, it seems to me that we had consistent talent before Dino. Skip worked hard to get elite talent and was making strong progress. Had he lived, I believe we would have continued to recruit better and better talent. Would we have done better in the tournaments? Hard to say. However, Dino had a lot of recruiting success pretty quickly. Maybe he was a great recruiter. Maybe he started working the AAU crowd, without doing anything wrong. Maybe this still made Wellman nervous. I do not know. I just know that there were some concerns. That is all.

If you believe Wellman's spin on the reasons for the coaching change that led to a decision to hire Buzz, that is on you. No rational person believes Wellman's story. The facts do not support it. Would you intentionally fire a coach who has shown the ability to beat our rivals and play at an elite level due to lack of success in March and replace him with a coach with Buzz's credentials? I think not.

Dino's recruiting classes were CJ and Ari and the one from which only Travis is left.

Back