• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2010 athletic department salaries

That past two or three seasons have only been good (or even acceptable) if you judge them in pre-Grobe context (much lower salaries and much worse facilities). I have argued in the past and will continue to argue that Grobe should be measured against the expectations he set, not the expectations set by Caldwell and his like. (And, no, this doesn't mean I expect an Orange Bowl every season or even at all, but I do expect to win more than 3 games a season, win some of the close games, and finish the season as strongly as we start it).

How many times have we only won 3 games under Grobe? I would argue last season was good. I think getting us to bowl games is still big. I am not saying if we go on a 4-5 year streak of no bowl appearances that should be acceptable. But perspective matters in my opinion.

I am not including TBR but some of the dislike expressed towards Grobe by some on the boards is insane.

Wellman is a MORON for paying the guys running football and basketball what they get paid. Grobe should be making right at a million, perhaps a little less. [Redacted] should be sucking dicks for pocket change at the Trailways station. Fire them all!

Wellman is a MORON for paying the guys running football and basketball what they get paid. Grobe should be making right at a million, perhaps a little less. [Redacted] should be sucking dicks for pocket change at the Trailways station. Fire them all!

I think your next plan should be to take down Will McAvoy.

It's what the market will pay, also they bring in more money than they earn, otherwise salaries would decrease.

Why do people care what Grobe, etc make? Not really any of their business, and they obviously earn it or they wouldn't be making the money they do.

Yeah, I get that. My post is more of a commentary of our screwed up priorities as a society where the guys in the "entertainment" side of things are making more than the guy in charge of the whole she bang.

I've never quite understood it. The athletic dollars generally stay in the AD. Most schools are lucky to have an AD that stays out of the red. Seems like the guy raising the most money for the Endowment would be the highest paid dude.

Grobe generates more than he makes. His success allows the other revenue sports to continue. If we were struggling in football, with basketball the way it is, athletics donations would drop and we would be in the situation MD is in, trying to decide which sports to cut.

Yeah, I get that. My post is more of a commentary of our screwed up priorities as a society where the guys in the "entertainment" side of things are making more than the guy in charge of the whole she bang.

I've never quite understood it. The athletic dollars generally stay in the AD. Most schools are lucky to have an AD that stays out of the red. Seems like the guy raising the most money for the Endowment would be the highest paid dude.

Don't disagree with you there, although you could argue that one's athletic programs, especially revenue sports increase awareness among potential applicants.

Ha ha ha. OGB's first paws rep on it's way.

Grobe in some ways has been his own worst enemy as far as folks perspective on his effectiveness. As 68 has already pointed out, his record against our in-state rivals alone is fuel for a HOF discussion. Add to that the winning vs FSU and Clemson( something that 12 years ago was complete fantasy), the bowls wins, and the ACC Championship, and what has happened the last 3 years pales in comparison. Even I have complained that we haven't been able to maintain the upward trend in our performances that was established between '04 and '08. In my saner moments i just hope that Coach Grobe still has the fire in his belly, 'cause he has the maturity and guts to continue success at LOWF.

Grobe generates more than he makes. His success allows the other revenue sports to continue. If we were struggling in football, with basketball the way it is, athletics donations would drop and we would be in the situation MD is in, trying to decide which sports to cut.

Don't disagree with you there, although you could argue that one's athletic programs, especially revenue sports increase awareness among potential applicants.

Yes. Purely from a marketing perspective, I suspect that athletics is a lure for applicants. And there is something to be said about creating well rounded students. I suspect that you may even argue that some really good athletes go on to be very successful after their schooling and give back to the University.

I'm a businessman. From a business perspective, I don't think I would be inclined to say to a division head, I am going to pay you a ton of money for your division to essentially break even. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes. Purely from a marketing perspective, I suspect that athletics is a lure for applicants. And there is something to be said about creating well rounded students. I suspect that you may even argue that some really good athletes go on to be very successful after their schooling and give back to the University.

I'm a businessman. From a business perspective, I don't think I would be inclined to say to a division head, I am going to pay you a ton of money for your division to essentially break even. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

What if this was the first head of that division to ever break even?

f38doi.jpg

lol

well done mod

Hey fuckface,

I don't expect 3 win seasons either. This is his 12th year and we have had one.

They used to be real common before he got here. Along with some 1 and 2 win seasons thrown in.

I'll take constant 6 win seasons in a previously abysmal program.

[Redacted] should be sucking dicks for pocket change at the Trailways station.

Best thing you've written.

I'm with 68 on Grobe. But of course my Wake football experience was tainted by attending Wake during the Groh years. Then that SOB followed me to Cville. I think he was stalking me.

Dino's previous regular compensation was just over $900k IIRC.

Still kind of unbelievable that we're paying [Redacted] that much considering how thoroughly mediocre everything about him is and always has been (and mediocre is generous).

I mean he makes $100k more than Jim Larranaga, how does that make sense?

Remember bzd is responsible for paying off his own Colorado buyout

Back