• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 Atlanta Braves Thread: HOF SMOLTZIE!

I assume it's just a pretty transparent, Wellman-esque PR move by the organization. "See, we're still trying to win, even though we're clearly communicating otherwise through the media!" Seems like the only way to afford Lester would be to trade Justin Upton. If you do that, then what difference does it make what our starting rotation looks like when your offense will put up 2 runs per game.

Wanna think less of J-Hey...compare his stats to Andruw Jones.

For those still clinging to the idea that the Braves could have signed Heyward long-term, check this fangraphs article out - $$$ are staggering.

Exactly. And if he did have a great year next year it would have been bad for the Braves if they're on more of a 2-3 year plan than a "blow the whole team up" plan.

Taking a meeting with Lester is ridiculous the same week you trade your home grown 25 year old star, who is accusing the organization of making no effort to extend him.

I think both sides are bullshitting a bit on this one. I think Heyward 'wanted to stay', but at his price. Supposedly negotiations in 2012 lasted 15 minutes, which means he put out a ridiculous number. I would like to keep Heyward too, but I would not like to sign him to one of those 10 year 200MM contracts. Exactly zero of those have worked out so far. However, I have no doubt that someone will pay him close to that, so more power to him. Get that Guac JHey.

I think Heyward is going to have a great year next year....batting 2nd or 3rd in that Cardinals' lineup. Or at least a very good year. As I posted on the Fantrax thread, I'm predicting 100-25-90-30-280 for Heyward in 2015.

"In that Cards lineup"...so the one that was 24th in the MLB in runs scored last year?

St Louis scored 46 more runs last year than the team he is leaving scored....which was 29th in runs scored, placing ahead of only San Diego in that category. Don't think there is any question that Heyward is moving to a better offensive lineup.

Agree there, but it is a big leap to say because he moves to a slightly better lineup he is going to have what would be both a career and MVP caliber year.

People have had similar expectations ever since Heyward's rookie year. He's got 4 straight seasons under his belt of not living up to expectations. He hit over 20 home runs once and had to strike out over 150 times to do it.

I don't think he's a guy being held back by his team. I think he's a talent that has a broken swing and it'll take a few years of dedicated work to fix it. Just watching him hit these days is nuts - crouch, clench hands, twist hands, release grip, bounce up and down, twist hands back, clench again, rinse repeat - then the pitch comes and he moves his hands again, swing gets long, his head moves... He's athletic and talented so he makes it work pretty well but I don't see him as primed for a big year yet.

It may be that the Brave's hitting coaches (fired 4 in 6 seasons, right?) messed him up, but if he fixes it in one off season it'd be pretty shocking.

I think its much easier to fix Simba's hitting approach than J-Hey's awful swing.

Apparently the Braves are going pretty hard after Yasmani Tomas after the Phils started to balk at his price tag.

Report from CBS Sports on my phone: Braves outfielder Justin Upton "will be moved".

I would like to see some of you guys join Townie, Diego Tiger, DemonDeaconz, aceeight, TopHat, myself & a few others others at Fantrax next year and put some of these theories into action. It won't be that long before Fantrax puts up its list of player prices and starts taking entries for the 2015 season (usually around mid to late January....about two months from now).

Oh I thought I was gonna get to help Simba's swing.

Upton/Gattis for Seattle's entire farm system sounds great to me...

I think the Braves are going to deal Upton to the Ms for Taijuan Walker and then sign the Cuban stud. Would give us a super young and super good rotation, and leave only 2 more holes to fill before 2017, at 3B and in CF.

Braves are perfectly justified asking for more for Upton although he is due to make quite a bit more next year.

I think the Braves are going to deal Upton to the Ms for Taijuan Walker and then sign the Cuban stud. Would give us a super young and super good rotation, and leave only 2 more holes to fill before 2017, at 3B and in CF.
Walker would be great and this seems like a reasonable plan but I can't help but be skeptical on catcher as well.

Back