• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Basketball Coaching Carousel (Bo Ryan to retire in 2016)

If my 2nd college love (UT) gets my top coach (non-soccer) love, Shaka Smart, they might become my #1 college hoops team. That makes me an awful traitorous person, but I'm pretty sure that would push my need well into burnt orange and away from OG&B.

I absolutely ADORE Shaka Smart.
Fairweather dv7

Marshall might be a more difficult personality, but of the 2, Marshall is the better coach. Marshall already has a hard on for beating KU. He's the natural choice. And fwiw, the pecking order still is Marshall, Shaka and then Miller. I think Tejas only hires Shaka over him if he's willing to take the job for significantly less $$. And I don't think that'll be the case.

Shaka then stays at VCU, because I really don't see him wanting to replace 1 of his mentors at a school that really doesn't value hoops, despite the amount of $$ they might throw at you. I'm guessing Miller stays away from Bama too, and they end up with White. GT would have been the job for Miller, but GT has its collective head up its collective ass. Then Shaka ends up at UNC in a year or 2 when Royboy retires because they just don't have a family candidate worthy of the position, and they realize that this time around after their Doh! moment.

What happens at UNC-ch very much depends on the pending NCAA findings. Could very well (should) have the hammer dropped on them this summer forcing a Roy "retirement" and team on probation. Not likely a situation that would attract top line coaching talent even if it is UNC-ch.

If my 2nd college love (UT) gets my top coach (non-soccer) love, Shaka Smart, they might become my #1 college hoops team. That makes me an awful traitorous person, but I'm pretty sure that would push my need well into burnt orange and away from OG&B.

I absolutely ADORE Shaka Smart.

Can the mods make dv7's and BKF titles read "Conditional Wake Fan" ? :)

got a text from a friend that lives in austin saying Chris Mack is being mentioned in the local papers as a possible candidate.

Russ Turner to George Mason looks like it's happening. I really didn't want to hire him here last year but seems like a reasonable hire for Mason.

Dave Leitao to Depaul. lol. If I was a Depaul basketball fan I'd probably just quit at this point. What a joke.

Their last coach came from Clemson and had less success than Mack.

Yeah, but their program is higher profile now thanks to Barnes (and Haith), they have obscenely high expectations from their fan base, and they have more $$ than god. Mack is not a big enough name for Tejas at this time. Smart and Marshall are, and they'll end up with 1 of those 2. And the AD better land 1 of those 2 after making a football hire that was pretty solid but not inspiring to all.

Plus the name Mack has negative connotations at Texas.

Russ Turner to George Mason looks like it's happening. I really didn't want to hire him here last year but seems like a reasonable hire for Mason.

Dave Leitao to Depaul. lol. If I was a Depaul basketball fan I'd probably just quit at this point. What a joke.

Remember when we all made ourselves feel better about Turner to Wake by rationalizing that his wife would never leave her high-powered job in NorCal?

Texas fires Rick Barnes

Um, Chris Mullin to St John's?????

@JonRothstein: BREAKING: St. John's has offered Chris Mullin its HC job + he is expected to accept, sources told @CBSSports. Story: http://t.co/Cbm5AuRHvk

Interesting that DePaul is giving Leitao a second chance. He was there from 02-05 and had a 58-34 record before bolting to UVa.

Interesting that DePaul is giving Leitao a second chance. He was there from 02-05 and had a 58-34 record before bolting to UVa.

Not to mention he can't coach offense or inbounds plays, isn't a good recruiter and is an abusive asshole as a person. As I said on another thread, WTF?!?

Um, Chris Mullin to St John's?????

@JonRothstein: BREAKING: St. John's has offered Chris Mullin its HC job + he is expected to accept, sources told @CBSSports. Story: http://t.co/Cbm5AuRHvk

He was a good basketball player so he will make a good coach with all that basketball experience.

Back