• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

i'm optimistic about our chances if we are going head to head against duke for a recruit

At this point, we've been named a leader for 3* QB Alex Malzone, 4* OL Quarvez Boulware, and 4* CB Dionte Austin.

That's pretty sick. I hope we can close on them.

Yesterday I posted about the RBs and noted that few names were showing interest in Wake. Today I looked at the WRs and found a very different story. There are signs of mutual interest with quite a few players. I would really like to know how many scholarships we plan on giving to receivers. Here is my summary (note: when you look at the offer lists keep in mind that these players will likely add many more offers in the coming months):

More likely:

A.J. Alexander – 3-star from Burke, VA. 6’3”. Rivals #58 WR in the country. Northwestern and Wake Forest appear to be his early leaders with Wisconsin and Boston College not far behind. All 4 schools have offered.

Lawrence Cager – 3-star from Towson, MD. 6’5”. BCS offers are Wake Forest, Indiana and Oregon State. Oregon State was the first BCS school to offer. He is friends with another Wake target, Dionte Austin, who attends the same high school. Cager and Austin both have offers from Wake and Indiana. Lawrence attended Wake’s Junior Day.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside – 3-star from Roebuck, SC. 6’3”. Has a 4.3 GPA. Right now Wake Forest is his only BCS offer. JJ said very recently that Wake is his early leader. It will be interesting to see how that holds up once other BCS offers start coming in (and it appears that they will soon). JJ attended Wake’s Junior Day. He was invited to Junior Days at Clemson, South Carolina and Duke. He has made multiple unofficial visits to UNC. He plans to attend camp this summer at Clemson and South Carolina.

Jarius Morehead – 3-star from Whitsett, NC, 5’11”. Rivals #61 WR in the country. Recently named top 3 of NC State, ECU and Wake. NC State might be a slight leader. Also has offers from Clemson, UNC and Tennessee (maybe Georgia Tech as well). He may end up playing safety in college. Jarius attended Wake’s Junior Day.

Also in the Picture:

Freddie Simmons – 3-star from Bethlehem, PA. 6’3”. BCS offers from Wake, Cal, Purdue, Rutgers, and UVA. Rutgers and Purdue may be early leaders.

Felton Davis III – 3-star from Highland Springs, VA. 6’4”. Also an accomplished track athlete. As far as I can tell Wake has not yet offered, but Illinois, Wisconsin, UVA and Virginia Tech have. He visited Wake in April. Mentions the quality of the education that he will receive as a primary consideration in picking a school.

Kalif Jackson – 3-star from Neptune Beach, FL. 6’4”. BCS offers from Wake, Cal, Duke, Georgia Tech and Missouri. Visited Wake in March. Mentions the quality of the education that he will receive as a primary consideration in picking a school.

Keyston Fuller – 3-star from Griffin, GA. 5’11”. BCS offers from Wake, Clemson, Nebraska, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Auburn and South Carolina. Wake’s offer was very recent. In one interview several weeks ago he put Wake in his Top 5 even though we hadn’t offered at that point.

Note: I excluded Freddie Phillips from Pelion, SC from the list because of my expectation that we are recruiting him as a safety.

A.J. Alexander – 3-star from Burke, VA. 6’3”. Rivals #58 WR in the country. Northwestern and Wake Forest appear to be his early leaders with Wisconsin and Boston College not far behind. All 4 schools have offered.

BSD: Is weather a factor?
A.J.: "Of course I want to go someone a little warmer (than the D.C. area), but if a great opportunity presents itself, how can you turn it down because of weather?

JJ Arcega-Whiteside – 3-star from Roebuck, SC. 6’3”. Has a 4.3 GPA. Right now Wake Forest is his only BCS offer. JJ said very recently that Wake is his early leader. It will be interesting to see how that holds up once other BCS offers start coming in (and it appears that they will soon). JJ attended Wake’s Junior Day. He was invited to Junior Days at Clemson, South Carolina and Duke. He has made multiple unofficial visits to UNC. He plans to attend camp this summer at Clemson and South Carolina.

JJ is also a 3-star SG recruit in basketball. If we continue to whiff on guard prospects, then I'd love to see him suit up for the basketball team.

JJ is also a 3-star SG recruit in basketball. If we continue to whiff on guard prospects, then I'd love to see him suit up for the basketball team.

If Clawson will let him, no reason for that not to happen. See LaRue, Rusty. QB on football, 2 guard on BB.

After looking at our prospects at the tight end position, I think that there are four guys that our staff is probably most focused on and all look to be pretty competitive recruiting situations.

Jake Bargas – 3-star recruit from Boca Raton, FL. The first thing that stood out to me was the offer date reported on 247 (January 10th). If that date is accurate, he was likely one of the very first offers that Clawson made for 2015 recruits. BCS offers are Wake, Duke, Kentucky, and Boston College. Duke probably leads right now. Latest word was that Ohio State was stepping up their interest level. He said in a March interview that Wake’s staff was “all over (him)” in terms of the amount of attention. Interesting note: Bargas decommitted from Michigan where he was an early lacrosse commit. He has since confirmed that he is giving up on lacrosse to focus on football.

Chris Cunningham – Unranked recruit from Jacksonville, FL. Wake offered on February 22nd. Other BCS offers are Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi State, Purdue, Virginia Tech and Oregon State. In a March interview he said that Wake Forest was one of 3 schools “recruiting him the hardest” (Purdue and Louisville were the others).

Jalen Harris – 3-star recruit from Montgomery, AL. BCS offers are Wake, Cal, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville and Mississippi State. My impression is that he wants to go to Auburn but doesn’t have an offer yet. He has visited Auburn unofficially over 10 times.

Daniel Imatorbhebhe – A 3-star recruit from Suwanee, GA. I would normally have left him off of my list because he has a Florida offer, but kept him on for three reasons: 1) he works out with 2014 signee Tyler Henderson, 2) he seems sincere that he values academics and 3) we are one of 3 schools to have offered both Daniel and his best friend, 3-star 2015 LB Anree Saint-Amour (Cincinnati and Mizzou are the other overlaps). May be holding out for a USC offer (as in the real USC). Said recently that Florida, Missouri and Vandy are showing the most interest. I am not sure if we are recruiting him at WR or TE.

Jarius Morehead – 3-star from Whitsett, NC, 5’11”. Rivals #61 WR in the country. Recently named top 3 of NC State, ECU and Wake. NC State might be a slight leader. Also has offers from Clemson, UNC and Tennessee (maybe Georgia Tech as well). He may end up playing safety in college. Jarius attended Wake’s Junior Day.

Plays at Eastern Guilford. My youngest son has played with him last couple of years. Really good athlete, tremendous hands, good speed. Would love to see him in a Deacon uniform!

Thanks 94. I'd like to see how the TE is used in the spring game. The last couple of years, we might have been better off with a 3rd OT, with the way LOBO utilized the position.

Keep in mind we'll add TE Devin Pike this summer.

I'm saying that Grobe didn't do anything with the TE since Selmon and Terashinski. The games that we threw to Spencer Bishop last year really opened things up for the offense by pulling the LBs off the line. When we didn't, the run got stuffed.

I'm saying that Grobe didn't do anything with the TE since Selmon and Terashinski. The games that we threw to Spencer Bishop last year really opened things up for the offense by pulling the LBs off the line. When we didn't, the run got stuffed.

I don't disagree with you. Just saying, that our best tight end might not be on campus until June.

Back