• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Thanks, Deac94. One question. Were the individual player presentations not informative at all or just not informative to you as someone who has followed this as closely as anyone outside our athletic department? That event is geared toward people just hearing about these players for the first time.

Georgia Southern had a runningback drafted in the 3rd round last year and playing in the nfl this year and likely to be a starter in 2015 on the Vikes - that is a pretty good recruiting tool.

Thanks, Deac94. One question. Were the individual player presentations not informative at all or just not informative to you as someone who has followed this as closely as anyone outside our athletic department? That event is geared toward people just hearing about these players for the first time.

Maybe it would have been better stated as very quick rather than not informative. No time for anecdotes etc about the player, just the basic facts and then a few key attributes for each. They had a lot of players to get through and they kept it moving along.

Georgia Southern had a runningback drafted in the 3rd round last year and playing in the nfl this year and likely to be a starter in 2015 on the Vikes - that is a pretty good recruiting tool.

Played option QB at Georgia Southern.

Maybe it would have been better stated as very quick rather than not informative. No time for anecdotes etc about the player, just the basic facts and then a few key attributes for each. They had a lot of players to get through and they kept it moving along.

What I found most informative was hearing what the coaches look for, their evaluations & impressions of the players. For example, the staff looks for team leaders and likes when players are team captains. In the current class, 21 of 23 players were captains of their teams. ( One knucklehead did not list he was a team captain). Also the staff loves multiple sport athletes.

What I found most informative was hearing what the coaches look for, their evaluations & impressions of the players. For example, the staff looks for team leaders and likes when players are team captains. In the current class, 21 of 23 players were captains of their teams. ( One knucklehead did not list he was a team captain). Also the staff loves multiple sport athletes.
Excellent info, thanks.

In a few years, we could easily have a starting line up that consists totally of team captains. That would be amazing.

Based on the comments Wednesday about the WR class, here are the projected positions for the top 4 WRs in the class:

Steven Claude: S-receiver or X-receiver
Scotty Washington: X-receiver
Chuck Wade: S-receiver or Slot
Tabari Hines: Slot

Based on that, here is the position breakdown including the key returning players. You can tell that a some freshmen will end up on 1st or 2nd team this fall. If I listed a player at more than one position I noted it with **. (Additional note: I didn’t know where to place R-Fr Cortez Lewis, so I left him off the list)

X-Receiver: Jonathan Williams (R-Jr), Scotty Washington, Steven Claude**

S-Receiver: Jared Crump (R-Jr), Tyree Harris** (R-So), Steven Claude**, Chuck Wade**

Slot: Tyree Harris** (R-So), John Armstrong (Jr), Chuck Wade**, Tabari Hines

It wouldn't surprise me to see Crump start (again) next year at the S-receiver and Tyree Harris win the starting slot role. X-receiver would appear to be the most interesting to watch this spring/summer. It seems possible that the 2nd string at all 3 positions could be true freshmen.

Last edited:
Played option QB at Georgia Southern.

Right, but projected and played mostly as an RB his senior season, and Colburn ran some option from his tape. Just pointing out to the people that are thinking this is a slam dunk because it is Georgia Southern - it may not necessarily be that easy.

Thanks for the breakdown, 94. Assuming we don't get Colburn, how do you see the RB position with Rocky, Dez and Robinson?

Thanks for the breakdown, 94. Assuming we don't get Colburn, how do you see the RB position with Rocky, Dez and Robinson?

Yeah I wonder how this shakes out too. I think both Robinson and Wortham played well enough to get respect from the staff but both didn't play well enough to win the position outright (hard to with this Oh-line) so I assume Wortham will go into the spring with a slight lead but for the most part an open competition. So that being said I think all three will get carries in the fall.

I suspect that a lot of us are thinking the same thing on this. Maybe carries split 70% Reid, 20% Wortham and 10% all purpose-back?

My own personal observation is that a healthy Dez Wortham is a much better runner than when he gets nicked up, and he seems to get nicked up fairly often. I could see a scenario where he becomes more effective and finds a nice role with limited carries.

I would like feedback from some of you that know the X's and O's better than I do regarding how the staff might use this all-purpose back that they have been trying to recruit (I have been calling it the "Nyheim Hines role"). What I have read is some RB carries, some Slot WR and specifically jet sweeps. That sounds like maybe a 20 snap per game role??? If the all-purpose back lined up at slot would that be a 4-WR set?? Some 2 RB sets??

Has anyone heard whether John Armstrong might be a candidate to rejoin the RB group for this all-purpose back role?

Also the 3rd down RB role with be interesting. I have heard that Rocky Reid is actually a good receiver out of the backfield. If he can get the pass pro down could he stay on the field for 3rd down?

Oh, and I do think we will land Colburn. I also agree that beating out Georgia Southern and Marshall may not be a slam dunk though. Matthew flipped from Wake to Georgia Southern. I suspect that Sihiem King was at least considering MTSU over Wake before Kentucky came along. Colburn sounded convincing during his TV interview that all 3 finalists were equal at that point. With that being said though, I think chances are very good that he ends up at Wake.

Last edited:
Agreed. No disrespect to Georgia Southern, they were definitely a better team than us last year (and may even be a better team than us this year). That being said, the guy committed to play ACC football and after the fiasco his coach said they were looking for ACC/SEC offers. I'm hoping that means we have the advantage, and I hope the visit goes well.

Colburn is a clear test of the Get Them on Campus and They Will Come System

I suspect that a lot of us are thinking the same thing on this. Maybe carries split 70% Reid, 20% Wortham and 10% all purpose-back?

My own personal observation is that a healthy Dez Wortham is a much better runner than when he gets nicked up, and he seems to get nicked up fairly often. I could see a scenario where he becomes more effective and finds a nice role with limited carries.

I would like feedback from some of you that know the X's and O's better than I do regarding how the staff might use this all-purpose back that they have been trying to recruit (I have been calling it the "Nyheim Hines role"). What I have read is some RB carries, some Slot WR and specifically jet sweeps. That sounds like maybe a 20 snap per game role??? If the all-purpose back lined up at slot would that be a 4-WR set?? Some 2 RB sets??

Has anyone heard whether John Armstrong might be a candidate to rejoin the RB group for this all-purpose back role?

Also the 3rd down RB role with be interesting. I have heard that Rocky Reid is actually a good receiver out of the backfield. If he can get the pass pro down could he stay on the field for 3rd down?

Oh, and I do think we will land Colburn. I also agree that beating out Georgia Southern and Marshall may not be a slam dunk though. Matthew flipped from Wake to Georgia Southern. I suspect that Sihiem King was at least considering MTSU over Wake before Kentucky came along. Colburn sounded convincing during his TV interview that all 3 finalists were equal at that point. With that being said though, I think chances are very good that he ends up at Wake.

The idea is to use an APB the way Wake used Kenny Moore as a Sr (although at a lower usage rate). Jet Sweeps, Bubble Screens, swing passes out of the backfield, and a few handoffs. Try to find a guy who can make people miss and then get him the ball in space. Ideally, you want to get them 10 or so touches per game, catches and runs combined.

Armstrong might play that position- I just don't know that I have seen anything yet to make me think he is that good with the ball in his hands.

Agreed. No disrespect to Georgia Southern, they were definitely a better team than us last year (and may even be a better team than us this year). That being said, the guy committed to play ACC football and after the fiasco his coach said they were looking for ACC/SEC offers. I'm hoping that means we have the advantage, and I hope the visit goes well.

Based on the kid's experience, I would not be surprised if decision came down to which set of coaches he feels most comfortable with and feels he can trust.

Back