• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016-2017 Basketball Starting Line-up...

I prefer a big line-up: Crawford, Woods, Dinos, Collins, and Moore. We would need to play a lot of zone with those 5 but I'm okay with that.

Is anyone actually confident that our current coaching staff could put a competent zone defense strategy together?

Really hoping that Wilbekin and Dinos will be role players rather than starters next year. I think both of them could be effective players if limited to about 10-12 minutes a game. If they are starters that play 30 minutes a game, then we are going to have all the same problems that we have been having the past few years.

Maybe while DM follows Kansas around in the NCAAT, he'll pick up some pointers. :thumbsup:

He already spent 9 years following Bill Self and Kansas around. I'm not sure that's gonna help.

Crawford
Woods
Berry (or other SF grad transfer)
Collins
Moore

w/

Dinos (for Moore)
Chill (for Woods)
Washington (for Berry)

as the first three off the bench.

Crawford
Woods
Berry (or other SF grad transfer)
Collins
Moore

w/

Dinos (for Moore)
Chill (for Woods)
Washington (for Berry)

as the first three off the bench.

So you expect Manning's boy Wilbekin to go from starting 30+ games to being the 9th man in the rotation? Not a chance... Chill's only minutes will be very few in relief of Crawford and even then Manning may opt for Wilbekin to run point.

He already spent 9 years following Bill Self and Kansas around. I'm not sure that's gonna help.

Does Kansas play a zone D? From what I remember they play strictly man. We played more zone D after we played Syracuse, I thought, so at least the coaches realized that a zone D is sometimes necessary in today's game (especially with this past year's players). Hopefully they can learn from others who do it well, like Syracuse.

He looks huge, any reports on his progress?

Already dressing like the Deacon.

1394544153_80.177.117.97.jpg

What I hope it will be: BC, Woods, Washington, Collins, Moore.

What I think it will be: BC, Wilbekin, McClinton, Dinos, Collins.

This. Unless Manning learns what a proper lineup should be by start of season next year.

So you expect Manning's boy Wilbekin to go from starting 30+ games to being the 9th man in the rotation? Not a chance... Chill's only minutes will be very few in relief of Crawford and even then Manning may opt for Wilbekin to run point.

Probably not, but that's what it should be and more importantly needs to be if we are going to be any good next year. Wilbekin's competition at the two should be much stiffer next year. If Woods, and to some extent Chill and Washington, can't take most of Wilbekin's minutes we will be in trouble (unless Wilbekin gets a lot better).

McClinton started 25 of his first 42 games as a Deac (averaging 15 min a game), and then lost his starting spot and had his minutes cut in half (6.9 a game) once conference play started this year. Wilbekin will certainly start the year but I could see him losing that spot quickly if Chill or Washington are clearly better .

I thought Dinos and Wilbekin both improved on defense and general toughness over the course of this season. It probably had something to do with why they both struggled so much on the offensive end. Hopefully their jump from Soph -> Junior year will be balancing offense and defense, and not sacrificing one to have the other. Also, BC was playing much smarter toward the end of the year on defense. He still got burned a couple times off the dribble, but he was much better about choosing when he went for steals. I think he has the potential to be extremely disruptive in the passing lanes as he gets older.

All that to say, I expect this team's biggest jump next year to be on the defensive end. Playing smarter, more team oriented defense. Not only that, I think both Collins and Moore will be better rim protectors than DT. Devin hated leaving his man to help guard penetration and it killed us on the defensive end. I don't really see our guards improving in that area (getting beat off the dribble) but I do think that we can and will be better next year at preventing easy shots once it happens.

(**Moved from the recruiting thread)

DT just wasn't tall enough to be an adequate rim defender anyway. He was also always in foul trouble.

Back