• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

With Traveon Redd’s announcement scheduled for 6pm today at his high school, I thought I would recap where things stand.

We know that he has had a high interest in both Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. We know that he wants a degree from a high-end academic institution, and that West Virginia, Maryland and N.C. State never really gained traction with him. The 247 Crystal Balls are pointing towards Vanderbilt, but it is important to note that none of the well-connected, national 247 guys have chosen to weigh in. That’s a sign that Redd has successfully played it close-to-the-vest. With that being said, I also think Vanderbilt enters today as the favorite. Here are my reasons why:

“The Visit” – For the past month the rationale for much of the Vanderbilt speculation has been his second unofficial visit to Vanderbilt which took place last weekend. He stayed for multiple nights and took his grandparents so that they could see Nashville and the Vanderbilt campus. It sure had the feel of someone finalizing their decision to attend a particular school.

The Vandy Writers – At least one called Redd a Vandy lock until softening that tone only recently. Now he is saying that he has “sources” telling him that they expect Redd to choose the ‘Dores.

Nashville – He has said a few times that the “area” is important to him, and we know that he really likes Nashville. I think this could be the tiebreaker for him.

But if you are looking for reasons to think he might choose Wake, consider the following:

He has made 4 unofficial visit to Wake (February, April, June and July) versus only two visits to Vanderbilt

He appears to have relationships with a number of Wake players and commits. For example, he was one of the first to congratulate Jamie Newman when he committed to Wake. A number of current commits have taken to Twitter to encourage Redd to commit to Wake. His overall Twitter activity also leans Wake.

Wake was also his first P5 offer, and is closer to home.

Last edited:
I am starting to look harder at Larry Collins recruitment after yesterday’s Scout article. He has been on my Board for a while, but that article really confirmed that Wake is a serious contender. Collins is a “high” 3-star (5.7) on Rivals, and the #78 overall WR in the country.

Collins has some offers from big schools (i.e. Florida State and Clemson) but the word has been that those schools are no longer actively recruiting him.

He named a top 5 of Wake Forest, UNC, South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. He doesn’t have a Georgia offer yet. He attended UNC’s Freak Show – and I think UNC likes him – but I’ve read that UNC is completely full at WR right now. The Columbia, SC newspaper reported that he is not a “take” at South Carolina at this time. Apparently USCe has one WR spot open and 3 WRs ahead of Collins on their board. If he is not a take at South Carolina, I doubt he is a take at Tennessee.

That means Wake could be the landing place for Collins. In terms of offer sheets, Collins 7 other P5 offers would be right up there with Steven Claude. Here is a look at the # of other P5 offers for Clawson’s WR commits:

Steven Claude: 7
Scotty Washington: 4
Chuck Wade: 1
Jeremiah Brown: 1
Malik Grate: 0
Tabari Hines: 0
Alex Bachman: 0

What you do, 94, is nothing short of incredible journalism. Thank you!

I'm feeling more confident about Redd heading into the announcement today than I was last week. I think the thing that actually might end up helping a lot is the love the fan base and 2016 class has shown him all week. He's clearly appreciating it and he'd be an excellent add to the class. Let's hope we get some good news this afternoon. Also great work 94 as always. You do great things day-in day-out for this thread

It has been 35 years since I heard the term "Redd means Go!"

I'm feeling more confident about Redd heading into the announcement today than I was last week. I think the thing that actually might end up helping a lot is the love the fan base and 2016 class has shown him all week. He's clearly appreciating it and he'd be an excellent add to the class. Let's hope we get some good news this afternoon. Also great work 94 as always. You do great things day-in day-out for this thread

So I guess we read it here first.

I think the announcement may be 6:20 (not 6). Not sure though.

Can't believe I'm waiting on this to happen . Nothing much going on this time of year. Would like to win one of these though ...... Drum roll...

Back