• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Cutcliffe is casting some sort of spell. It cannot be broken until Duke is again hammered on the field. As long as he keeps winning, the spell and myth grow.

Seems like Duke football is finally capitalizing on the success of Duke's men's basketball program and Duke's national academic prestige.

Seems like Duke football is finally capitalizing on the success of Duke's men's basketball program and Duke's national academic prestige.

Exactly. It's not a hard formula. Sell what you do best.

The low ranking is heavily impacted by the small class size. The formula just kills you.

Doesn't help that we have 7 2*s by their count, though (6 + Ray, really). There are a lot of defensible ways to be disappointed with this class so far, especially considering the quality of last year's signees.

Christian Colon committed to Penn State. He hasn't been on my Board in a long time, however it is worthy of mention because he was discussed a lot at the beginning of this thread.

More notably it continues the incredible exodus of North Carolina talent to out of state schools. UNC and N.C. State both have a number of 2016 commits but no in-state recruits ranked any higher than #36 in the state. Actually UNC doesn't have an in-state commit at all. They had been in the running for Colon, and have had a decent year out-of-state.

More notably it continues the incredible exodus of North Carolina talent to out of state schools.

there's literally multiple generations of kids who've grown up and never watched a nationally relevant game take place in the state.

Doesn't help that we have 7 2*s by their count, though (6 + Ray, really). There are a lot of defensible ways to be disappointed with this class so far, especially considering the quality of last year's signees.

agreed. every coach gets a recruiting bump in their first year just from the hope and change angle. after that they either have to show some results on the field or recruit above their weight class.

with the historically bad shape grobe left the program in i think there is a 0% chance clawson gets more than 7 wins in his first two years so if the staff is going to replicate last year's recruiting success (relative to Wake's history) they are going to have to pull some magic out of a hat.

there's literally multiple generations of kids who've grown up and never watched a nationally relevant game take place in the state.

I think it's more than that, though. A North Carolina kid isn't really going to have any exposure to the massive fanbase in Happy Valley, and god knows Penn State hasn't played in a truly nationally relevant game in years. Plus, it's not like this is a gradual, systemic problem-- it's really just an aberration if you go back through the last few years. I think the most likely conclusion is that, for whatever reason, NCSU, Wake, and Duke are just all getting out-recruited for in-state talent this year, while UNC has their own issues going on right now.

agreed. every coach gets a recruiting bump in their first year just from the hope and change angle. after that they either have to show some results on the field or recruit above their weight class.

with the historically bad shape grobe left the program in i think there is a 0% chance clawson gets more than 7 wins in his first two years so if the staff is going to replicate last year's recruiting success (relative to Wake's history) they are going to have to pull some magic out of a hat.

Yeah. At the end of the day, I personally have faith in Clawson's talent evaluation and scouting. I also think some of those six Rivals 2*s are a bit underrated by them, just like I thought that last year. It will be interesting to see if those 2* guys end up with solid offer sheets, like Ph suggests, but right now that's my main problem with the class so far: that so many guys seem to be drastic, extreme reaches in terms of P5 interest.

UNC and N.C. State combined to pull in 11 of the top 16 recruits in North Carolina last year. It was a banner year from that standpoint. This year FakeClassGate seems to be handicapping UNC more in-state than out-of-state. N.C. State just seems to have lost their mojo.

More notably it continues the incredible exodus of North Carolina talent to out of state schools

There is a lot of really good football talent in North Carolina, but fans throughout the state will always be primarily fixated on basketball. I'm not saying that they shouldn't enjoy their basketball, but in the SEC and Big 10, football is king and the stadiums are full every week. Nevermind the stadiums and practice facilities that many of them have built. It's hard for a good high school football player not to notice the HUGE difference in culture. Unless that changes (and I don't believe it will), the exodus will continue.

I can't wait to beat Duke this year. I have a feeling Claw will have the boys ready for all the instate rivals

Not Wake news but

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair
BREAKING: 2016 QB Chazz Surratt decommitting from Duke. Flipping to UNC.

I think this is good news. UNC's probably fucked with or without Surratt, but he was a big part of Duke's class.

also: here have some updates

aIZuWYs.png

mDB8FR4.png

Last edited:
UNC and N.C. State combined to pull in 11 of the top 16 recruits in North Carolina last year. It was a banner year from that standpoint. This year FakeClassGate seems to be handicapping UNC more in-state than out-of-state. N.C. State just seems to have lost their mojo.

Much smaller class for NCSU this season. That and the early commits from targets leave NCSU looking out of state for whatever reason this year. Unfortunately, most of our top NC targets have popped for Duke/UNC recently. Really only have Lawrence and Stallings left on the board from NC I believe.

Back