• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jno bout to get exposed

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this. he had a few int's early last year, got killed by good receivers, and is a zone corner. he is going to have a shitty year.

I forgot to tell this thread, I walked past Matt Ryan in the clubhouse at Pine Valley two weeks ago. As my friend (Panthers fan) and I passed he gave this goofy "hey fellas!" and I swear to god all I wanted to do was punch him in the dick. What I actually did though was say "hey matt" and kept walking. Fuck that guy.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this. he had a few int's early last year, got killed by good receivers, and is a zone corner. he is going to have a shitty year.

What?

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/carolina-panthers-josh-norman-julio-jones-deandre-hopkins-121615

The dude had a great year, objectively. Panthers fans are probably undervaluing him, the Redskins may be overvaluing him. Last year he was a $15 million CB. The question will be: Can he fight father time and remain as good as he was this year for the duration of his contract. Next year? Probably. After that? I highly doubt it. But even as a Panthers fan, I'm not chalking up his success last year to the rest of our defense, when he was clearly a HUGE part of it.

The real question won't be what he does in Washington, and tbh, I don't really care what he does. The evidence will be how well we manage without him, and I could easily see us struggling to defend air raid offenses without him. Just think back to how bad we looked in the final minutes of some games last year, and then picture if we had replaced JNo with either a rookie or Bene...

Last edited:
What?

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/carolina-panthers-josh-norman-julio-jones-deandre-hopkins-121615

The dude had a great year, objectively. Panthers fans are probably undervaluing him, the Redskins may be overvaluing him. Last year he was a $15 million CB. The question will be: Can he fight father time and remain as good as he was this year for the duration of his contract. Next year? Probably. After that? I highly doubt it. But even as a Panthers fan, I'm not chalking up his success last year to the rest of our defense, when he was clearly a HUGE part of it.

The real question won't be what he does in Washington, and tbh, I don't really care what he does. The evidence will be how well we manage without him, and I could easily see us struggling to defend air raid offenses without him. Just think back to how bad we looked in the final 2 minutes of some games last year, and then picture if we had replaced JNo with either a rookie or Bene...

Completely agree. Josh was a great corner last year, and I'd expect him to be again this season. Rescinding the franchise tag just made the roster weaker, and to date the Panthers haven't done anything with the cap space saved (which everyone assumed would be used to sign KK). Then Gettleman drafts three corners to replace Josh, when strengthening other areas was the plan before letting him walk. Bene is going to have to step up big, as well as at least one of the rookies for us to not see a big dropoff in the secondary (which also had a career year from Coleman which can't be counted on again either)

J-No had been one of the top performers in camp every summer. He wasn't just a product of our front line. He was an elite CB. I hate that he won't be a Panther next year, but he made his choice. I'm more than happy that we didn't overpay him. Our defense will still be elite and the Redskins defense will be better, but still not what we have. Hard to hate on him taking the money.

2016/2017 Panthers Thread: Hog Mollies Acquired

Yeah. He turned down a new contract before last season to bet on himself. He won.

saw some ladies videos of them trying to get at luke k. And the tight end (position not butt but also butt) fella greg Owens. dang chicks dig those dudes

Last edited:
Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be football players, where they get their brains beat in and $15MM is a huge contract. Let 'em be basketballers where that is less than Timofey Mosgov.

NFL Future Power Rankings: Projecting the next three seasons

On ESPN Insider Louis Riddick, Mike Sando, and Field Yates rated every team 0-100 in roster (non-QB), QB, draft, front office, and coaching looking forward for the next 3 seasons.

Panthers came in 3rd behind the Seahawks and Patriots respectively.

Roster (non-QB): 83.3
QB: 88.3
Coaching: 85
Draft: 81.7
Front Office: 85

High point: The most lethal dual-threat quarterback in the NFL is Cam Newton, the runaway winner for the 2015 NFL MVP. Consider the context of his season: Only one player threw for more touchdowns than Newton's 35, while he finished just one rushing touchdown short of the NFL lead in that category too. And he did all of this with his top receiver sidelined for the whole season. Newton made marked strides as a passer in 2015, and there's no reason to believe his progression will plateau any time soon. -- Field Yates

Low point: Panthers GM Dave Gettleman is not a guy who is going to be a big player in the unrestricted free-agent market, so the Panthers' current and future success depends largely on his ability to string together solid drafts. The Panthers used their first four selections in the 2016 draft on defensive players (one DT, three CBs), all of whom I have concerns about. Gettleman needs all four, particularly the corners, to turn out to be quality players if the Panthers are going to remain Super Bowl contenders. -- Louis Riddick

What could change: Offensive coordinator Mike Shula and defensive coordinator Sean McDermott could be candidates for head-coaching jobs. Shula has put together an offense unlike any other in the NFL, tailored for a unique quarterback. McDermott's defenses have thrived through the growing pains associated with significant personnel changes. The decision to let cornerback Josh Norman get away leaves Carolina with the NFL's fewest 2016 salary-cap dollars allocated for defensive players. Will it catch up to the team in time? -- Mike Sando

lol at Riddick and his low point being the 2016 NFL draft class that hasn't even played yet while not mentioning anything about 2013, 2014, and 2015 drafts while questioning if GMan can string together solid drafts.

Almost every GMan pick is still on the roster. His only weakness so far may be drafting too many good LBs. Klein will likely get paid elsewhere.

Last edited:
Panthers with 40th most valuable sports franchise in the world. Just behind Minnesota Vikings and in front of Liverpool

As much as the European soccer clubs make, I think it's pretty good to be ahead of Liverpool who has a good following.

Tillman announces retirement.

Free-agent CB Charles Tillman announced his retirement following a 13-year career with the Carolina Panthers and Chicago Bears Monday, July 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back