• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm warming up to McCaffrey. He'd potentially be tough to game plan for next season. Plus you'd have a returner who hopefully wouldn't just fair catch or run to the sideline on every punt.

1. Trade up to 2 to get Garrett if the Browns decide to Browns
2. Take Adams at 8 if available
3. Take Fornette at 8 if Adams not available
4. Trade down to 12 and take CMC if 1-3 not available
5. Trade down to 12 and take BPA if CMC not available
6. Take BPA at 8 if no above options available

That's what I'd like to see, in order of situation. Anything outside that I'm not a fan of unless it's trading back

1. Trade up to 2 to get Garrett if the Browns decide to Browns
2. Take Adams at 8 if available
3. Take Fornette at 8 if Adams not available
4. Trade down to 12 and take CMC if 1-3 not available
5. Trade down to 12 and take BPA if CMC not available
6. Take BPA at 8 if no above options available

That's what I'd like to see, in order of situation. Anything outside that I'm not a fan of unless it's trading back

We're on the same page!

Watson had some awful awful games and was bailed out by the other good players on the team. He had trouble diagnosing simple coverages against average defenses, reason for all his interceptions. Not exactly something you want with an NFL QB.

Watson had some awful awful games and was bailed out by the other good players on the team. He had trouble diagnosing simple coverages against average defenses, reason for all his interceptions. Not exactly something you want with an NFL QB.
Yeah, he was hard to figure out last year. Of course his Bama game was spectacular, but he threw three picks in both the Pitt game (including one in the end zone with 5 minutes left) and Louisville game, and threw for 50% and two INT's against Troy in a game they easily could've lost. And he was surrounded by studs at every skill position that were almost always better than the guys across from them. Not saying he can't (or won't) be a successful pro, but he had a lot of head-scratching moments last year.

Tyler Brooke‏ @TylerDBrooke
Hearing that the Colts are considering trading up into the Top 10. Apparently they're thinking long and hard about Christian McCaffrey.

Billy‏ @BillyM_91
Solomon Thomas received a guarantee that he would be picked at #8 according to @JeffRisdon.

I don't want any RB in this draft before #20. I would trade down for someone who is 20-25 pick and get their 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and 5th rounder or else their #1 next year plus their 20-25 pick this year. Everyone pretty well agrees this draft is very weak in studs but very deep in later rounds so with as many holes as we have to fill, go for a higher number of picks rarther than a solid but not all pro guy at #8

Billy‏ @BillyM_91
Solomon Thomas received a guarantee that he would be picked at #8 according to @JeffRisdon.

This is a joke right? No way he's still there at 8.

And I definitely think we hit Kpassagnon and Melifonwu if they are available. Not sure where they are being mocked though.

ETA: Kpassagnon going late 3rd/early 4th, Melifonwu late 2nd (Kiper/McShay have him going to Panthers at 2[64])

Last edited:
I don't want any RB in this draft before #20. I would trade down for someone who is 20-25 pick and get their 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and 5th rounder or else their #1 next year plus their 20-25 pick this year. Everyone pretty well agrees this draft is very weak in studs but very deep in later rounds so with as many holes as we have to fill, go for a higher number of picks rarther than a solid but not all pro guy at #8

No way we trade down to the 20's in G-man's first year drafting in the top 10. Even if there were someone willing to jump 15-20 spots in the first round, they better be giving up a lot more than a 2nd and 5th. #8 is in the range you can hit on a real difference maker. I say stay at 8 and take your shot. We already got 2 picks in the 2nd round. That's unbelievable value in a draft like this.

I would hope we would get a package including next year's 1st to go down 15+ picks.

I still just don't trust Gettleman with this pick. I think he likes to stand out and look smarter than everyone else - especially the "experts" which really bug him - and I think he thinks it makes him look like the crusty old curmudgeon genius when he goes against the grain. He cultivates that. Plus, I think he likes this reputation he has built for liking big defenders and hog mollies. So, I am afraid that Jonathan Allen will drop to us and Gettleman won't be able to resist. Now, Allen is a great player and I think he's a future regular Pro-Bowler, but the Panthers need a Pro Bowl player on the offensive side of the ball at #8. I think that maybe there is a good chance that a couple fo QBs get picked ahead of us and things get shook up a little, and Fournette will possibly be there at 8. If he isn't then I am just as good with McCaffrey at that pick. I think McCaffrey is going to be a great player. He will likely have a longer career than Fournette and I think CM will be the perfect locker room fit for Carolina too. I am 50/50 on those two RBs.

I do think the DEs could be sneaky bad this year. Not sure how much Peppers and Johnson have left in the tank. Addison had a good year for him last season so hopefully he can build on that, but was playing for a contract last year. Horton is whatever. Ealy was traded for 8 draft spots. I'd be alright with more pass rush - want to keep it (or make it again) a strength of the defense.

That's absurd. Serious question, did you actually watch DeShaun Watson at any time this year? Stop listening to "draft gurus" and watch some film. What were his awful awful games where he was bailed out? He never had one game with a QBR under 100, but the rest of the prospects did. 292 yards passing and 3/2 against Troy, was that his awful awful game? His ability to read defenses and his processing speed are actually strengths of his. Just go watch some highlights of the National Championship, and watch him read the Safety post snap every time.

His 17 INT are being blown way out of proportion. Winston had 17 too, but Watson threw the ball 579 times. There are many reasons for his interceptions, including him making a bad throw, great defensive schemes, deflected balls, miscommunication, etc etc....

Yeah, he was hard to figure out last year. Of course his Bama game was spectacular, but he threw three picks in both the Pitt game (including one in the end zone with 5 minutes left) and Louisville game, and threw for 50% and two INT's against Troy in a game they easily could've lost. And he was surrounded by studs at every skill position that were almost always better than the guys across from them. Not saying he can't (or won't) be a successful pro, but he had a lot of head-scratching moments last year.

He's not hard to figure out at all. As mentioned, the picks were not always his fault, and Clemson was never going to lose to Troy. Up 24-10 with 10 min left in the fourth, and the second string defense gave up an easy score. Is surrounded by studs the new criticism of Watson? He had a True Freshman starting at RT in the CFP. The guy who shredded Bama was a walk on.

I do think the DEs could be sneaky bad this year. Not sure how much Peppers and Johnson have left in the tank. Addison had a good year for him last season so hopefully he can build on that, but was playing for a contract last year. Horton is whatever. Ealy was traded for 8 draft spots. I'd be alright with more pass rush - want to keep it (or make it again) a strength of the defense.

I agree. I'm not big on our DEs, which is why Solomon, Allen or Barnette wouldn't upset me at all. I can convince myself that every player, within reason, that has been thrown out there at 8 could be really good. If we could some how match Bama Cam or Ramczyk with them and a TE in the 3rd, then I think we will be in great shape.

Last edited:
That's absurd. Serious question, did you actually watch DeShaun Watson at any time this year? Stop listening to "draft gurus" and watch some film. What were his awful awful games where he was bailed out? He never had one game with a QBR under 100, but the rest of the prospects did. 292 yards passing and 3/2 against Troy, was that his awful awful game? His ability to read defenses and his processing speed are actually strengths of his. Just go watch some highlights of the National Championship, and watch him read the Safety post snap every time.

QBR
v Auburn 53.8
v Troy 36.5
v SC ST 96.2
v GA Tech 63.5
v Louisville 64.1
v NCSU 80.5
v FSU 58.0
v Syracuse 90.5 (injury)
v Pitt 84.1 (Loss)
v WFU 86.0
v USC 93.3
v Va Tech 84.3
v tOSU 76.3
v Alabama 67.1

Is it even possible to have a QBR of 100 or better ? Watson was 4th in the country last year with a 84.9 QBR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back