• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

K will be like Bear Bryant. Once he has to stop coaching, he will not live long. So he will coach until his body won't let him. He might do 10 more years.

K will be like Bear Bryant. Once he has to stop coaching, he will not live long. So he will coach until his body won't let him. He might do 10 more years.

So what you're saying is that he's a vampire who feeds off the life blood of 5* recruits in order to survive. I buy that.

So what you're saying is that he's a vampire who feeds off the life blood of 5* recruits in order to survive. I buy that.

And small children:

96a8538eb9956e52f03465c77cdf471f.jpg

He was a great recruiter well before, too. Martell Webster, Spencer Hawes, Quincy Pondexter, Abdul Gaddy, etc. Romar has pulled in blue chip recruits since he started at Washington. That's even before you get into players like Brandon Roy, Isaiah Thomas, Justin Holiday, etc.

I'm guessing his NBA experience and ties help a lot. He's put a lot of players in the NBA, too.

ETA: Added some more, but Romar is one of the better recruiters in college ball.

Most of those guys played HS basketball in the Seattle metro and in the 80's and 90's those players were going down to Arizona. Players like Jason Terry and Michael Dickerson. Romar has figured out a way to keep them at home. Apparently the parents and high school coaches in the area really like him too FWIW.

Most of those guys played HS basketball in the Seattle metro and in the 80's and 90's those players were going down to Arizona. Players like Jason Terry and Michael Dickerson. Romar has figured out a way to keep them at home. Apparently the parents and high school coaches in the area really like him too FWIW.

It's crazy that he has this type of rapport with how little of success he is producing on the court.

State would not be a step up from Butler.

I disagree. Butler is in a major conference and has as good of a tournament resume as all but the top programs. VCU is in a multi-bid basketball only conference and also has a good tournament track record. State is a risk that a head coach at Butler or VCU probably won't take.

It's crazy that he has this type of rapport with how little of success he is producing on the court.

I agree. He had a good stretch in the mid to late 2000's, but they never were able to get past the sweet 16. Since 2011, the team has been terrible.

State would not be a step up from Butler.

I disagree with that. NC State is in a better college basketball conference, has a bigger fanbase, has better facilities, has better recruiting reputation/financial support, has more history of success, has more NBA players.

I disagree with that. NC State is in a better college basketball conference, has a bigger fanbase, has better facilities, has better recruiting reputation/financial support, has more history of success, has more NBA players.

Agree. Depends on what a coach is looking for, and clearly State is a challenge given its neighbors, but the program has won two NCs, and has more revenue to spend on hoops than VCU and Butler combined. Only saying that State has a shot at getting Butler's or VCU's coach (as would WF), not that it's a lock.

Better conference? Yes
Bigger fanbase? Yes, but perhaps they prefer quality over quantity
Better facilities? I assume so
Better recruiting reputation and financial support? Not sure. I'll have to check. Butler and VCU have been recruiting pretty well if I remember correctly
More history? Yes if you ignore the last 20 years
More NBA players? Butler and VCU have 2. State has Warren. State's last All-Star was Googs. Butler's is Hayward.

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Mizzou fires Andersen)

Better conference? Yes
Bigger fanbase? Yes, but perhaps they prefer quality over quantity
Better facilities? I assume so
Better recruiting reputation and financial support? Not sure. I'll have to check. Butler and VCU have been recruiting pretty well if I remember correctly
More history? Yes if you ignore the last 20 years
More NBA players? Butler and VCU have 2. State has Warren. State's last All-Star was Googs. Butler's is Hayward.

There is absolutely no question at all that NCSU has better facilities.

They can also pay a lot more money.

Will Wade- after Capel, Grant, and Smart, is there a reason to really want a VCU coach?

There is absolutely no question at all that NCSU has better facilities.

They can also pay a lot more money.

I don't know anything about Butler and VCU facilities. I do know they don't have to prioritize football.

Back