• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

I’m at the point now to just let players get what they can. Money from schools, boosters, likeness, wgaf. It’s not like the recruiting rankings would be markedly different than they are today.

Do you not feel it’s ludicrous that Jimbo Fisher is going to make $20K a DAY for the next like 3,500 days when the guys ripping their ACLs and scrambling their brains for him don’t get a cent? You can make the scholarship argument all you want, but let’s not pretend Jimbo isn’t getting a car and countless other benefits including tuition concessions for his kids.

Jimbo's enormous deal is what A&M is willing to pay to win a national title. He's in his prime and has a record of building a relatively average program with a strong tradition into a program that won multiple conference championships and a national title. They paid to get 1 of 4 current coaches in the country that were able to win a national title. The other 3 weren't going anywhere. They paid big $ for a guy who's done something that's extremely hard to do. I guess you're using him for dramatic purposes as any other P5 coach's deal would suffice.

What bothers me is how people find it perfectly acceptable to have players "scrambling their brains" if they're compensated for it. It's like people don't understand that players are aware of the risks and choose to play anyway. Stop watching and stop buying merch/tickets if you're so offended by it. I'm actually for compensating players, but like others here, I have no idea how it could work if every player from every sport has to be paid, the legality of picking and choosing, certain schools having their own tv deals, etc.

Scholarships at least provide an opportunity to have a better life.

Biggus, what's your problem with the simple straightforward plan to pay players that I proposed?

Jimbo's enormous deal is what A&M is willing to pay to win a national title. He's in his prime and has a record of building a relatively average program with a strong tradition into a program that won multiple conference championships and a national title. They paid to get 1 of 4 current coaches in the country that were able to win a national title. The other 3 weren't going anywhere. They paid big $ for a guy who's done something that's extremely hard to do. I guess you're using him for dramatic purposes as any other P5 coach's deal would suffice.

What bothers me is how people find it perfectly acceptable to have players "scrambling their brains" if they're compensated for it. It's like people don't understand that players are aware of the risks and choose to play anyway. Stop watching and stop buying merch/tickets if you're so offended by it. I'm actually for compensating players, but like others here, I have no idea how it could work if every player from every sport has to be paid, the legality of picking and choosing, certain schools having their own tv deals, etc.

Scholarships at least provide an opportunity to have a better life.

Yea, so we agree then? Jimbo’s deal is the top, but let’s not pretend there’s not a ton of coin flying around at the P5 schools all over. How much is Nebraska paying two guys to literally not coach their team next year?

Yea, so we agree then? Jimbo’s deal is the top, but let’s not pretend there’s not a ton of coin flying around at the P5 schools all over. How much is Nebraska paying two guys to literally not coach their team next year?

Frost's enormous deal (and the other two coaches they're paying not to coach) is what Nebraska is willing to pay to win a national title. Frost is in his second year as a head coach and has a record of doing what the previous coach did only four years ago (seriously, look it up if you don't remember).

Last edited:

For the point you were making about players getting compensated, we agree. I think any P5 coach's contract works for that argument. And there's plenty of coin flying around, but I'm not sure that if you gather it all, give most of the pie to the football team, a large chunk to bball and slivers to the others works or is legal.

In addition to that, I was pointing out that Jimbo deserves to be paid a ton more because he's one of very few guys that found a way to win it all with roughly the same talent as a number of other teams. Not really a recruiting expert, but I'm guessing the difference between the #1 recruiting class and #10 isn't that much and that the same 10-15 teams get a top 10 class every year.

Just pointing out that Jimbo getting his team to an elite level and winning a national title against relatively equal talent is pretty remarkable, thus the huge contract and other perks.

For the point you were making about players getting compensated, we agree. I think any P5 coach's contract works for that argument. And there's plenty of coin flying around, but I'm not sure that if you gather it all, give most of the pie to the football team, a large chunk to bball and slivers to the others works or is legal.

In addition to that, I was pointing out that Jimbo deserves to be paid a ton more because he's one of very few guys that found a way to win it all with roughly the same talent as a number of other teams. Not really a recruiting expert, but I'm guessing the difference between the #1 recruiting class and #10 isn't that much and that the same 10-15 teams get a top 10 class every year.

Just pointing out that Jimbo getting his team to an elite level and winning a national title against relatively equal talent is pretty remarkable, thus the huge contract and other perks.

It’s a little convenient that Jimbo won when he had a QB who was more than just pretty good. The difference in Winston and every other QB Jimbo has had is probably bigger than the difference between Jimbo and about 10 other coaches. Same goes for about every other coach who wins not named Nick Saban.

Paying athletes on par with university grad assistant stipends through apparel contracts.

Like I said before, I don't know a lot about this area. It sounds good on the surface, but are all grad students at every school paid the same? Are all apparel contracts the same? Do all NCAA teams have apparel contracts? One problem I can see happen is lower-tier teams shedding non-revenue sports to balance things out. Seems pretty complicated.

Like I said before, I don't know a lot about this area. It sounds good on the surface, but are all grad students at every school paid the same? Are all apparel contracts the same? Do all NCAA teams have apparel contracts? One problem I can see happen is lower-tier teams shedding non-revenue sports to balance things out. Seems pretty complicated.

I think the logistical conversation is very complicated, and definitely worth having. I would love for us to move toward that conversation.

It’s a little convenient that Jimbo won when he had a QB who was more than just pretty good. The difference in Winston and every other QB Jimbo has had is probably bigger than the difference between Jimbo and about 10 other coaches. Same goes for about every other coach who wins not named Nick Saban.

I don't know, he won the ACC with EJ Manuel and Winston was a redshirt freshman when they won it all the following year. Not saying Winston wasn't awesome or a major factor, but Winston inherited a great team that was rolling. Jimbo put all that together.

Including this season, he averaged 10+ wins a year at FSU. He's an elite level coach. Regardless, Manziel has proven A&M can land a special college quarterback. That could have factored in as well.

So what's the latest on UT? FSU? Is Malzahn going back to ark? Is someone gonna take a run at Kiffin?

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel - Tennessee Train Wreck

Grad assistants at every school aren't paid the same but it's already tied to cost of living differences.

Not all apparel contracts are the same but from the numbers I've seen, the big schools could cover stipends for the majority of their athletes with one. If the market demanded bigger contracts, apparel companies would step up.

In my system, it would be up to the university to provide them or not. The only mandate would be to tie it to grad assistant funding in order to use an existing standard. The schools than can't are already at a disadvantage compared to the Bamas of the world. This wouldn't change that. The athletes at the Bamas draw more revenue anyway.

Too many problems with paying college football players. The only real solution is to separate sports from academics at the minor league level.

Back