• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Agree with Henry. I believe Clawson is on a quest to prove you can build and sustain a winning football program at a Wake Forest. I say this knowing we could actually take a step back next year in the win column. We have had coaches who were already looking for another job the day they arrived. Al Groh being the worst offender. It's hard. Grobe and staff couldn't or wouldn't do the difficult work the mission requires. Clawson has an extreme competitive drive. And it is so refreshing he makes no excuses. He calls us a developmental program and doesn't sit around dreaming about 4 and 5 star recruits. He knows the difficulties and faces them head on. He suffered assistant coaching defections and instead of whining about it, I think he just said to himself how can I make the program better. Time will tell on that score. Very pleased with this head coach.

Some odds and ends this morning:

It was already noted in this thread that safety Kendarian Handy-Holly (Jackson HS / Jackson, AL) received an offer from Wake Forest a few days ago. This looks like more “noise” than “news” to me. Handy-Holly, who has 9 other P5 offers (including Florida, Louisville and Kentucky) just committed to Minnesota on Sunday after visited the Gophers last weekend. I’m hearing that he is very solid with Minnesota and has been turning down in-home visits from other schools. It seems unlikely that Wake could flip such a recent commit. Other than the offer, I’ve seen nothing linking Handy-Holly to Wake Forest. There is no word of a visit and there have been no Crystal Balls.

The only potential commit this weekend would be OL Spencer Clapp. That’s unless someone emerges from completely off-the-radar.

2016 signee Jeremiah Brown is no longer listed on the official roster. Credit to JJMGG on the Scout board for first noticing that. Further explains why Wake is adding 3 outside WRs in this class.

Graduate assistant Keli’i (Chief) Kekuewa has left Wake to take a similar position at Minnesota.

Wake Forest still has not updated the official website to reflect the position group that Lyle Hemphill will coach, but it continues to seem very likely that Jay Sawvel and Hemphill will divide the secondary and Wake will hire a new LB coach.

Not Wake-related, but a 4-star WR was arrested during an official visit to Ohio State last weekend (pot possession). Just thought that was funny.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about why Wake WRs don’t change positions. The impression that I have is that Clawson is open to moving WRs between positions in the off-season, just not during the season. That way the player stays at the same position that he practiced during fall camp. Chuck Wade is a player that Clawson has said could play multiple positions and he played outside during spring practice last year because of a shortage of bodies at that position.

Apropos of nothing, but it has always surprised me when Minnesota gets commitments from players from the Deep South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Wade played outside last Spring and Clawson decided to move him inside behind Hines and start Bachman outside.

Saw that Sage Surratt scored 57 points for Lincolnton High last night.

Raheem Layne will announce his decision on Monday at 6:30. Indiana is considered the odds-on favorite.

So Wade played outside last Spring and Clawson decided to move him inside behind Hines and start Bachman outside.

At that time we had a senior crump at outside spot coming back and bachman was to back him up. Cr

247 sports has Clapp listed as committed to Wake Forest. No confirmation yet though

OL Luke Hall from Pfafftown, NC committed to Wake Forest as a preferred walk-on. Looks like a good one for a PWO.

Agree with Henry. I believe Clawson is on a quest to prove you can build and sustain a winning football program at a Wake Forest. I say this knowing we could actually take a step back next year in the win column. We have had coaches who were already looking for another job the day they arrived. Al Groh being the worst offender. It's hard. Grobe and staff couldn't or wouldn't do the difficult work the mission requires. Clawson has an extreme competitive drive. And it is so refreshing he makes no excuses. He calls us a developmental program and doesn't sit around dreaming about 4 and 5 star recruits. He knows the difficulties and faces them head on. He suffered assistant coaching defections and instead of whining about it, I think he just said to himself how can I make the program better. Time will tell on that score. Very pleased with this head coach.
this.

Back